Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3
replace 1997 Z3 stereo

Hi new to the forum,and have a problem I need help with.I want to replace the stereo in my Z3.Someone before me has change it from the original to an Alpine deck.I can't see anyway of accessing it for removal.So is there an easy way to get in behind or do I have to remove the centre console,to get in behind.And if so how do I do that?
Ads by Google
Old 08-24-2012, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 z3
you need a stereo removal tool. On that stereo I think it is two flat pieces of metal. you insert one on each side right at the midline. this moves little tabs that secure the stereo in a cage that was placed in the opening.
<
Old 08-24-2012, 07:30 PM

Thanks,I just quickly watched the video, while making supper.It looks like it shows exactly what i need to know though.I'll have to wait till tomorrow to go play with it.Thanks again. Woodie
Old 08-25-2012, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3, 2005 Lincoln LS
I just did exectly thst, replaced the Alpine. It was a snap. The best advice I can give is go slow, especualy the faceplate, it can break easily. Also if you can, solder the connections. It makes it much more stable and long lasting. Have fun....

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Bimmer App
Old 08-26-2012, 01:48 PM

So finally got to my project,and it's not going well.Was able to get the old stereo out (the new one a JVC didn't come with the little tools to remove from bracket ),but with some wiggling and prying the old one came out.The wire harness plug is different so the last guy had cut the wires and crimped back to connect with plastic crimping connectors so I did the same,and replaced wire for wire according to colour ,White stripped to other white stripped and solid white to solid white,black to black ground and yellow to yellow,red to red and so forth.Now none of the speakers work.The unit works and I tested it by hooking it up to an external speaker apart from the car and that works.So any suggestions apart from tearing the whole car apart to trace wires.Has anyone else run into this while replacing the stereo and what did you do?
Old 08-26-2012, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3, 2005 Lincoln LS
I just indtalled new stereo. There are wiring diagrams (pdf) online and you should have a diagram fir your new rig. Match 'em up and you should b in business. I didn't use ctimp connectors, don't like 'em, especially for the ground. Solder and heat shrink if you can.
Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Bimmer App
Old 09-01-2012, 04:08 PM

Finally got back to my project.Still stumped.Took the advice and got the z3 wiring diagram for the radio and the wire diagram from the manufacture of the new stereo.I now have all the wires going to where they are suppose to go.And still no sound.The new unit does work and I even took the kick plate off to get to the front speaker to make sure it wasn't blown.I can hook a wire up direct from the new unit to the speaker and I get sound,but nothing through the wiring system.Are there any fuses or codes or anything that need to be reset to get sound?I can understand if maybe one of the four speakers wires where shorting out or something but all four speakers that used to work now don't.Starting to pull hair out here.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 2.3
There is a blue/white wire

The blue/white wire connects to a blue wire, this has caused many people problems in the past. This wire combo connects to the amplifier. Do a search for "blue white wire amplifier" on these forums
Old 09-02-2012, 12:42 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you,music never sounded so sweet.That is what the problem was ,the blue wire.