Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-26-2012, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: Neon
Could I get some advice?

I'm looking into getting a used BMW, particularly looking at this car at the moment. http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...21637587&Log=0

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice as to what to look for with the car, as well as some things I could expect down the road maintenance wise.
Ads by Google
Old 08-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Drive it like u stole it!

Mein Auto: 2013 M3
Try to find out the extent of the damage to the front end when it was involved in a collision. Have it checked by an independent body guy to make sure there is no underlying damage.

1997 328i- retired
2007 328i- retired- lease
2006 330xi- retired
2011 335xi-PCD-12/13/10 - DINAN3-----retired
2013 M3-Laguna Seca-6 speed-EDC

2006 X5- retired
2011 X5- retired- buy back

bmw cca#443379
Old 08-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlw2006 View Post
I'm looking into getting a used BMW, particularly looking at this car at the moment. http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...21637587&Log=0

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice as to what to look for with the car, as well as some things I could expect down the road maintenance wise.
Well, now. Take it to a trusted mech for a PPI. Be certain all mfg fixes have been done. Go see & drive it. Don't depend on Forum advice.

Then, you risk all! Win everything!

Good luck, laddie. The playing field:

Click image for larger version

Name:	CrapsTable 1.gif
Views:	46
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	338939
Old 08-26-2012, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Hi and welcome to the forum.

It looks like a nice car and I think the price is good for a 335 with premium package, metallic paint and heated seats. I'm not sure what other options it has as the description is a bit sketchy.

As far as maintenance, the 335 has had issues with the high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) which would be covered as a no charge repair under BMW's extended warranty for this part. Turbo wastegates may be an issue. At 74,000 miles, look at the tires, brakes, battery and others. I'm sure those more expert will add their expertise. BMW's like most premium brands are expensive to repair. If you can find a good independent shop this will help.

Edit: While I was posting, CALWATERBOY gave his advice which is consistently among the best and most knowledgeable on this forum.

Last edited by Michael Schott; 08-26-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Always laughing loudest

Mein Auto: '11 335i M-sport...by day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Edit: While I was posting, CALWATERBOY gave his advice which is consistently among the best and most knowledgeable on this forum.
Agree, although also the most cryptic.

I'd love to see his clip art catalog. Dude has a picture for everything. Well done, Cal.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:39 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
If you are friends with a local BMW dealer I'd try to borrow the key and get them to read you the service history on this car. Maybe he can look up from the VIN.

Not to be a wet blanket (I like buying used BMWs vs new) but this first year of the 335i turbo had more than its share of problems and could potentially be a money pit to own. I'd feel better about a 328i.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 08-26-2012, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: Neon
Yea when I was looking up info on the car I saw that 2007 was the first year, and I was figuring there'd be some issues somewhere. I really need to spend a day or so reading through this forum to get a better idea of all the different 3 series models.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dork knight View Post
agree, although also the most cryptic.

I'd love to see his clip art catalog. Dude has a picture for everything. Well done, cal.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Graduating Smiley [70] .jpg
Views:	20
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	339090
Old 08-26-2012, 03:39 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
If you are friends with a local BMW dealer I'd try to borrow the key and get them to read you the service history on this car. Maybe he can look up from the VIN.

Not to be a wet blanket (I like buying used BMWs vs new) but this first year of the 335i turbo had more than its share of problems and could potentially be a money pit to own. I'd feel better about a 328i.
Please do us a favor and tell us what makes the '07 335i/turbo more unreliable than any other year, thank you, you would be doing me a favor as well, because I don't know what these things are. Trust me, I really would like to know!

And/or are you implying that '07 328i is just as reliable with VANOS as any other year as well?

OP, make sure yours has an oil cooler (the very earliest didn't have one, and many seem to say it doesn't matter if you don't track it, but might as well get it; retrofits have been done, I don't want to get your hopes up, but there maaaaay have been an instance of a free one?). More '07s than not have it already as I understand it. After early '07, they all have it. It may be even as easy as looking at the dash's temp gauge's #s, max/range etc, IIRC.

The only thing that I personally know of as an issue, as it happened to me, was throwing a code due to the design of outer taillight, pre early 2008. Works fine, just ended up throwing a code years into ownership, part is cheap, replacement takes a depression of a tab and that's it.

I await laser's breakdown.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
Please do us a favor and tell us what makes the '07 335i/turbo more unreliable than any other year, thank you, you would be doing me a favor as well, because I don't know what these things are. Trust me, I really would like to know!

And/or are you implying that '07 328i is just as reliable with VANOS as any other year as well?

OP, make sure yours has an oil cooler (the very earliest didn't have one, and many seem to say it doesn't matter if you don't track it, but might as well get it; retrofits have been done, I don't want to get your hopes up, but there maaaaay have been an instance of a free one?). More '07s than not have it already as I understand it. After early '07, they all have it. It may be even as easy as looking at the dash's temp gauge's #s, max/range etc, IIRC.

The only thing that I personally know of as an issue, as it happened to me, was throwing a code due to the design of outer taillight, pre early 2008. Works fine, just ended up throwing a code years into ownership, part is cheap, replacement takes a depression of a tab and that's it.

I await laser's breakdown.
I don't know what you mean by a "breakdown" but obviously the first year of the 6 cyl turbo engine has had a recall for the repeated HPFP failures, I forgot about reports of overheating but that was probably cars that were tracked.

I regret owning the first year of the 535i which had 3 HPFP failures where the dealer blamed me for using bad gas.

For the OP buying his first BMW, a 5 year old out of warranty with as of now uncertain service history would make me pause and think a bit. I wouldn't say don't do it ..... just be aware that you are exposed to some potentially expensive repair bills and that you will need to know a good indy mechanic shop who will treat you right.

Honestly, other than what I read here, my only first hand knowledge is my neighbor who got a trade assist buy back on his 2007 335i because of excessive warranty problems.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:01 PM
wooohooo

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by a "breakdown" but obviously the first year of the 6 cyl turbo engine has had a recall for the repeated HPFP failures, I forgot about reports of overheating but that was probably cars that were tracked.

I regret owning the first year of the 535i which had 3 HPFP failures where the dealer blamed me for using bad gas.

For the OP buying his first BMW, a 5 year old out of warranty with as of now uncertain service history would make me pause and think a bit. I wouldn't say don't do it ..... just be aware that you are exposed to some potentially expensive repair bills and that you will need to know a good indy mechanic shop who will treat you right.

Honestly, other than what I read here, my only first hand knowledge is my neighbor who got a trade assist buy back on his 2007 335i because of excessive warranty problems.
So all you have for your "breakdown" of why the '07 335i is particularly unreliable, even compared to an '08, or any year, or the N55s, etc, is the HPFP? I thought the HPFP was an issue that spanned all of the years, not just '07?

I know it is "common knowledge" that the first gen could be the most problematic, because "some of the kinks haven't been ironed out". In fact, I'm sure you are right, but I honestly can't think of anything at all, outside of my negligible taillight issue (on an '08), and the possibility of a missing oil cooler, of which I'm not sure will have much impact on reliability outside of really hard driving. I'm looking for education.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:14 PM
wooohooo

Just trying to glean your knowledge of why you said this here:

Quote:
but this first year of the 335i turbo had more than its share of problems
If HPFP is all you're talking about, I think I gotta disagree. I don't think it's exclusive to the first year.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:09 PM

So what's your point?

How would you advise the OP .... he just asked for a little direction .....

For example, do you think the E90 will prove to have a "bio-degradable" cooling system like the E46?

Old 08-26-2012, 05:16 PM
wooohooo

Quote:
So what's your point?

How would you advise the OP .... he just asked for a little direction .....

For example, do you think the E90 will prove to have a "bio-degradable" cooling system like the E46?
My point was that I was trying to glean knowledge from you. I mean I figured there must be things you could teach me, after making such a statement as you did.

So there is nothing to substantiate your claim? Outside of some anecdote about a neighbor, of course no year mentioned, no specific repairs mentioned, nor any correlation of these repairs with "this first year of the 335i turbo had more than its share of problems".

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. Like I said, I wanted to learn something from you.

Isn't that a good enough point? If not, what is?

Why not just say, um, avoid the 4th year of 335i turbo, it had more than its share of problems. For that matter, the 3rd and 6th year of the 328i as well. Hey, I have a neighbor who had so many warranty issues with her car.

What's your point? Why discourage the OP without at least letting him know what to look for?!?!
Old 08-26-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
My point was that I was trying to glean knowledge from you. I mean I figured there must be things you could teach me, after making such a statement as you did.

So there is nothing to substantiate your claim? Outside of some anecdote about a neighbor, of course no year mentioned, no specific repairs mentioned, nor any correlation of these repairs with "this first year of the 335i turbo had more than its share of problems".

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. Like I said, I wanted to learn something from you.

Isn't that a good enough point? If not, what is?

Why not just say, um, avoid the 4th year of 335i turbo, it had more than its share of problems. For that matter, the 3rd and 6th year of the 328i as well. Hey, I have a neighbor who had so many warranty issues with her car.

What's your point? Why discourage the OP without at least letting him know what to look for?!?!
Suggested that the OP be heads up and do some research which he has realized the need to do for his own benefit. It's his money.

I've owned six Bimmers, three were 3 series, two were 6 cyl turbos.

Would not have wanted to own either of the turbos out of warranty from my first hand experience. That's all I'm referencing ...... my own experience. It's not a masters thesis requiring the citing of authorities.

If you want to tell me what to say .... that spot is taken ...... I've already got a wife who does that

Old 08-26-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:

Ha! Probably true....ethanol....cavitation....but the cause wasn't that, rather low inlet press to the HPFP. Gas here would have a problem with that....Europe, not so much.

Name:  Waaaa.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  2.1 KB