Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-26-2012, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 08 Acura TLS 03 Cic
Check engine light on

I posted on the correct forum for a 2003 325 cic, had a lot of hits but no replies. Bascially used an indy shop that works mostly on older American cars. Shop installed an alternator on Aug 1, last week I noticed oil or antifreeze leaking on the driveway. I took it back to the indy shop and the engine was now smoking. Shop changed the valve cover gaskets, I also asked them to change oil & filter. At the end of thd day, they still had not changed the oil.
I had to tell them the engine takes nearly 7 quarts of oil. Car is done and I'm about to leave.
engine making a horrible, almost knocking noise and is leaking a small amount of anitfreeze.
I left the car for another day, the knocking is worst and the check engine light is on.

I immediately drove to another indy shop that only services BMW's. They put it on a lab top and it showed seven faults, all O2 related. The tech said casually, the engine most likely needs to have all the internal rubber hoses replaced with metal clad hoses, evidently this was done starting with the 04 models. I didn't want to mention I just had the gaskets changed and said the alternator was replaced in N.H. while on vacation. I use this guy alot and didn't want to alienate him. He said the replacement of the interior hoses would cost at least $900.00. While inside the engine, they would check out the alternator and determine if it was a bearing or belts, etc. This shop is honest in my opinion, but I opted for a second opinion and took it to the dealer the next day. They confirmed the engine was not breathing properly and needed the internal hose changed, they would also check the source of the knocking noise, possible alternator bearing. I guess I learned my lesson and will not be returning to the orignal indy shop, he is great for trucks and older cars, but not BMW's. My wife loves this car and does not want to get rid of it, it has 81 k on it, newly painted, it looks great and is a pleasure to drive in the nice weather,

I understand how people love their bimmers, but unless it is under warranty or you can do the work yourself, the car can be a killer financially. In the last two months I have replaced the starter, alternator, numerous oil flow and air sensors, etc. Hopefull the car is all set for a while and I can reach 100k relatively trouble free. I know from this forum and speaking with other owners, I can expect some suspension issues after a 100 k. I would love to hear your thoughts or ideas. I find this form truly interesting and informative, thanks.

Ladderman
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2012, 01:39 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladderman View Post
I posted on the correct forum for a 2003 325 cic, had a lot of hits but no replies. Bascially used an indy shop that works mostly on older American cars. Shop installed an alternator on Aug 1, last week I noticed oil or antifreeze leaking on the driveway. I took it back to the indy shop and the engine was now smoking. Shop changed the valve cover gaskets, I also asked them to change oil & filter. At the end of thd day, they still had not changed the oil.
I had to tell them the engine takes nearly 7 quarts of oil. Car is done and I'm about to leave.
engine making a horrible, almost knocking noise and is leaking a small amount of anitfreeze.
I left the car for another day, the knocking is worst and the check engine light is on.

I immediately drove to another indy shop that only services BMW's. They put it on a lab top and it showed seven faults, all O2 related. The tech said casually, the engine most likely needs to have all the internal rubber hoses replaced with metal clad hoses, evidently this was done starting with the 04 models. I didn't want to mention I just had the gaskets changed and said the alternator was replaced in N.H. while on vacation. I use this guy alot and didn't want to alienate him. He said the replacement of the interior hoses would cost at least $900.00. While inside the engine, they would check out the alternator and determine if it was a bearing or belts, etc. This shop is honest in my opinion, but I opted for a second opinion and took it to the dealer the next day. They confirmed the engine was not breathing properly and needed the internal hose changed, they would also check the source of the knocking noise, possible alternator bearing. I guess I learned my lesson and will not be returning to the orignal indy shop, he is great for trucks and older cars, but not BMW's. My wife loves this car and does not want to get rid of it, it has 81 k on it, newly painted, it looks great and is a pleasure to drive in the nice weather,

I understand how people love their bimmers, but unless it is under warranty or you can do the work yourself, the car can be a killer financially. In the last two months I have replaced the starter, alternator, numerous oil flow and air sensors, etc. Hopefull the car is all set for a while and I can reach 100k relatively trouble free. I know from this forum and speaking with other owners, I can expect some suspension issues after a 100 k. I would love to hear your thoughts or ideas. I find this form truly interesting and informative, thanks.

Ladderman
Your second paragraph contradicts your third paragraph. If you go to a reputable BMW indy shop they will maintain your car for far less than it would cost to buy a new one. My 1999 528 is running beautifully with 180K miles on it. (Went to Bimmerfest East last weekend at 33-34 mpg both ways.) Since it is fairly old I do have to spend some money now and then to keep it in good condition, but it is money very well spent. I do not regret for a minute buying my BMW and keeping it for as long as possible.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:40 AM

Mein Auto: 08 Acura TLS 03 Cic
I think I admitted to making a mistake in not going to the indy dealer first. I tried to save some money and in the end, paid the price. I'm spoiled having had three Acuras in the past 9 years, changed the oil and drive. Kudos to you with with your 1999 528 running strong with 180 K.
Ladderman