Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 12-21-2014, 12:52 AM

Mein Auto: E65 736i
Angry Please dont ignore this i realy need help

Hello everyone

I am suffering badly with my E65 730i this year its cost me 4745 with running cost and maintenance, with the new problem I am finally ready to crack and sell the car.

The problem I have now is I parked the car went shopping came back started it and then POW!!! System safety failure, seatbelt tensioner failure, airbag failure, also transmission failure only remain in P, transmission failure drive moderately, also cruise control failure, and to top it all of the wipers started and wouldn't stop because the wiper stalk had failed also.

So!!!! I called the AA / Breakdown truck, the guy said it was a bad battery and it was giving of a low voltage that was causing the faults, I had the battery replaced and all the lights reset 3 days later.

POW!!!!! System safety failure, seatbelt tensioner failure, airbag failure, also transmission failure only remain in P, transmission failure drive moderately, also cruise control failure, and to top it all of the wipers started and wouldn't stop because the wiper stalk had failed all this for the second time.

Woke up the next day and everything had gone except for the system safety failure, seatbelt tensioner failure, airbag failure, but the car drives fine.

I just cant see it being anything mechanical and it seems to be an electrical fault or sensor failure can someone please reply this time last time I asked a question I was ignored.

Last edited by ky_uk; 12-21-2014 at 04:15 AM.
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2014, 01:26 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi
When you had the battery replaced, did you have it coded? That could be a possibility of the issues from what I've read in other posts.

Good luck, hope you can get this fixed!!
Old 12-21-2014, 01:45 AM

Mein Auto: E65 736i
Thanks for the reply yes it was coded I have just been out to look at the car and all the faults have gone except for the passenger safety system failure, this is crazy how this keeps happening.

I can only guess that a seat occupancy sensor has shorted out and is shorting other things out ?

Last edited by ky_uk; 12-21-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:30 AM

Mein Auto: 745i, 330Xi
Did you download any codes, clear them, and get new ones on the recurring failures?

Do you have any history on the car?

Other than that the first thing that comes to mind is Integrated Supply Module issues. For lack of a better way of putting it the ISM is sort of center point for all of your electronics. Replacing it is a 10 minute fix (if that is the problem).

You need the codes and the car history as a start.

Try reading this for a start (see post #23 for pictures):
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=526422

And this is the part:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...62&hg=12&fg=35

Some pricing:
http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Integrated.../dp/B00AG39RRS

Last edited by riff; 12-22-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 750xi M-Sport
This honestly sounds like you are having a problem with the alternator. I feel like someone else on the forum has been having very random and excessive amounts of electrical problems... the dealer though it was the battery initially, but then found the alternator to have failed.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:00 PM

Alternator $$$$
ISM $

I'd start with the cheap fix first. Do you have any error codes?
Old 03-08-2015, 05:39 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: E46 awd
I 2nd the motion on the alternator. Do you have a volt meter?
Old 03-09-2015, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 bmw 750li
Alternator and battery.... Start with those first...
Old 03-10-2015, 06:23 AM

I'd go with the diagnosis of battery (common failure) or alternator if the problems weren't of a random nature - which they appear to be. If the problems do not have a consistent pattern I would definitely start at the ISM. Cheap, easy.

The codes. Download the codes. I think VIP, O'Reilly's, Tire Pros and a few others will do it for free or minimal cost.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:54 AM

BTW. Here is the easy way to check your alternator - no voltmeter required.

As copied from another member:
Go into the hidden menu and see if the alternator is charging. Hold down trip meter stalk for about 15 seconds until you see the service reset and continue to hold down until the hidden menu comes up. Go to selection 19 to unlock the hidden menu and enter the number which is the sum of the last five digits of your VIN. This will unlock the hidden menu. You can then scroll through to see how many volts the alternator is putting out. It should be around 13.8-14.0 volts. Also completely charge your battey for at least 6 hours. See if that helps. If not, then I would replace the IPS for $85 and see what happens. It is possible that you got a bad battery also. Take it to autozone and have them test it with a load for free.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
7 series DIY

One of the big issues I had with our 750li was the DVM or IVM located on passenger side under the cabin air filter. I had various problems with misfires on cylinders. Changed out coils and it worked for awhile. Changed out plugs and it worked for awhile. Changed out injectors and again it worked for awhile. Then various cylinders started misfiring again. I changed plugs and coils back and forth and finally it started stalling so bad I knew it was something else. BTW did I mention I also would have transmission failures and it would go into limp mode. I would have to pull the battery cable and let it reset. Anyway back to my story, I ran across a posting regarding the DVM and called the dealer and they had one around $ 115.00. Replaced it and my problems went away. This includes the transmission.

Here's the thing, BMW is using 6 each cube relays that are rated for 30 amps and at some point they are trying to push more than that through them and they start failing. The relays cost about $ 5.00 each and you could replace them, but just get the board/module and be done with it. These relays control the Transmission, Coils, Injectors and I don't know what else. It looks like they send 40 amps to the module and distribute out to each relay.