Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745i
2004 745i stalling & shutting down

My 2004 745i has been stalling & shutting down, I changed Air Filter, MAF and still shutting down. I also noticed or heard a sound as if a motor was running need the driver-side firewall near steering column. This running sound stops if I restart engine, the malfunctioning engine warning error pops up occasionally. Car idles rough after warming up as well... Thanks for any help. love my car
Ads by Google
Old 01-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Nothing
If the check engine light is on the first thing you need to do is read the codes. Your answer could very well be right there. If you don't have a simple code reader you can order the OBD2 cable and software from the eBay seller many of us used for about $40. The problem is you will have to wait a couple weeks as it comes from UK. If you don't have a simple code reader that would be my first purchase. I own one and it goes everywhere with me. Has for many years. They are about $50-70 at any parts store. Many Auto Zone's will read your codes for you for free. If you are low on funds or cheap you can try that and save the money for repairs, but eventually you really should get a simple code reader. I have the cable and BMW software, but I can't carry that everywhere, it's nice to have a code reader in the tool bag in the trunk. Never know when your stranded on the side of the road and it can save the day. A few months ago I had a break down in a different car and I actually had the spare part on me (I carry tools and many common spare parts in all my cars. I have sensors, belts, and other common parts even for the E65 along with many tools and another tool kit and socket set.) There is nothing better than having the spare part you need and saving the day, it's almost worth the break down! Okay rant over.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745i
Thank you for pointing in the right direction...