Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 08-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Love my Diesel Vehicles

Mein Auto: E350BlueTec, Jetta TDI
Replacement windshield.

My front passenger side developed a 6" crack.
BMW wants $1,600.00 to replace the windshield.
I called around and Speedy Auto Glass quoted $600.
I guess rain-sensing windshield has its disadvantage in the costs of replacing windshield!

Current Rides:
2013 E350 BlueTec
2011 VW Jetta TDI
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
The disadvantage I was told is that sometimes the gasket for the rain sensor breaks and needs replacing. I'd bet though that a good glass person would have a simple remedy for that. I wonder if the dealer even replaces windshields or just out sources the job.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Dumb question. I have a small place that needs to be glue injected to keep a crack from starting. Any special precautions since it's a BMW? I took a rock hit from another car on a desolate road in colorado rockies.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Dumb question. I have a small place that needs to be glue injected to keep a crack from starting. Any special precautions since it's a BMW? I took a rock hit from another car on a desolate road in colorado rockies.
Nothing special.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
I'm on windshield #3. First time, I used an independent company but paid a premium for factory BMW glass. The next time, I went with PPG glass which my insurance covered.

The glass quality of the PPG windshield is great. The rain sensor seems to be off a little on the non-factory glass, which kind of bends the cord over a little. My rearview mirror also came off once and had to be re-attached. A friend encountered both issues on his 335d when he went with non factory glass.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:43 AM
Love my Diesel Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 831Doug View Post
I'm on windshield #3. First time, I used an independent company but paid a premium for factory BMW glass. The next time, I went with PPG glass which my insurance covered.

The glass quality of the PPG windshield is great. The rain sensor seems to be off a little on the non-factory glass, which kind of bends the cord over a little. My rearview mirror also came off once and had to be re-attached. A friend encountered both issues on his 335d when he went with non factory glass.
Unfortunately my insurance does not cover windshield.
So if the non-OEM windshield has issues with the rain sensing feature I'm tempted to use non-rain sensing windshield which is $300+!
I had to replace my Jetta's windshield early this year and opted for the non VW windshield for $300+ instead for $500 for the VW product.

I drive a lot of highway miles and stone chips are a real hazard. Thus for the cost of a BMW windshield I can pay for 5 replacement (non-rain sensing) windshield.

Current Rides:
2013 E350 BlueTec
2011 VW Jetta TDI

Last edited by DC-IT; 08-28-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
They usually have to drill a hole near the spot that needs to be repaired before they inject the filler. They have you sign a waiver that there is a chance that the windshield may be broken beyond repair. That happened on my first window. I've had at least 3 other repairs on my previous cars and they worked perfectly.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-IT View Post
Unfortunately my insurance does not cover windshield.
So if the non-OEM windshield has issues with the rain sensing feature I'm tempted to use non-rain sensing windshield which is $300+!
I had to replace my Jetta's windshield early this year and opted for the non VW windshield for $300+ instead for $500 for the VW product.

I drive a lot of highway miles and stone chips are a real hazard. Thus for the cost of a BMW windshield I can pay for 5 replacement (non-rain sensing) windshield.
The rain sensing feature works perfectly with the aftermarket glass.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Love my Diesel Vehicles

Thanks for the info.
I guess I should use after market windshield.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App

Current Rides:
2013 E350 BlueTec
2011 VW Jetta TDI