Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 ; 2002 Wrangler;
Brake Fluid flush/change?

Has anyone here flushed their fluid?

How much is involve and how do I SAFELY do it?

Advertisement
Old 09-17-2012, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
I haven't done it on this car but have for my honda & acuras. Usually pretty easy, open the bleeder screw, have someone pump it out, close the screw and redo. Add to brake reservoir. Not sure if there is a pattern to do, someone should chime in..
Old 09-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Yoda with a library card

Mein Auto: 1999 M Coupe
Never looked at a Z4 but unless there were ground breaking advances that no one else followed, it is an easy DIY with no special tools except a loved one or someone you bribe with beer. This is how I do it.
1. Go to local auto parts store and buy 2 big bottles of synthetic brake fluid. While you are there, but 2 feet of hose that will fit over your bleeder. If you don't know which size to get, buy them all. It will cost you an extra $1.30 for the hose you will throw away.
2. Go home.
3. Place car on jack stands and remove wheels.
4. Drink a can (or bottle for those sophisticated types). There is a good reason for this you will see.
5. Open hood and find brake fluid reservoir. Use hose and beer can (see, i said there was a good reason to have 1) and siphon out as muck of the brake fluid as possible. Make sure not to drink it. It tastes horrible. Don't worry about getting it all, this step will just save you a bit of time later. I don't know if the Z4 clutch system uses the same reservoir like the Z3 but if it does, drain that side as well.
6. Pour a little of the new fluid into the reservoir. I typically go about 1/3 full. I do not fill it full as I don't like to mix the new with the old in large quantities but feel free to fill it if you wish.
7. Find a helper. Bribe with beer if necessary as you may need more cans if you don't have an environmentally friendly place to dispose of the brake fluid as the job progresses.
8. As your helper sits in the driver seat, you will go to the passenger rear and loosen the bleeder valve. Place the appropriate size hose over the valve and route it into the beer can. Loosen the valve, yell "down" and your helper should press the brake pedal and HOLD. A small amount of brake fluid, probably brown in color, will go into the tube down into the can. Tighten the bleeder valve and yell "up". Your helper will release the pedal.
9. Repeat step 8 multiple times. You will need to check the reservoir every minute or so to make sure you have enough fluid so you do not suck in air. No biggie if you do, it will just take more time to bleed the air out.
10. When you see clean, fresh fluid coming out, move to the drivers rear and repeat the process until clear. Move to the passenger front and then to the drivers front.
11. Fill the reservoir full of fresh fluid. I go around the car one more time on each wheel to make me feel good.
12. If you have a manual on a Z3 (someone with a Z4 please comment if you do the same), you also need to bleed the clutch slave. It is very important to make sure your car is well supported on jack stands or a lift. You have gone too far in this project to get killed now. Plus, who wants to clean blood off their nice BMW. Note: it is also very important not to get any air in the clutch system. It is a pain to bleed air from this system and let's not go down that road with just a fluid change. Again, hook up the hose, loosen the bleeder and yell "down" but this time instead of the brake pedal, make sure your helper knows to press the clutch and hold. Make sure to have the bleeder closed before you yell up because that is how you will get air into the system by mistake. Repeat until clean, clear fluid comes out.
13. Make sure reservoir is full then cap it off.
14. Replace tires, torque to proper tightness.
15. Take car off jack stands.
16. With parking brake on, start car and check the firmness of the brake pedal. Don't go for a drive. You have drank beer and no one needs a DWI.

Seriously, it took me longer to type this up than to actually do this. If you can change a tire, you can do this. A shop will charge $80. You can do it for $15 and beer money. Plan on about 45 minutes for this project. Be safe under cars. If you have access to a life, you don't even need to remove the tires. There are special pumps that you can purchase to make this a 1 man job but since this only needs to be done every 2 years and unless you have 10 vehicles that need this, save your money for something else.
1995 318i spray paint red, 170,000 miles and climbing
Old 09-17-2012, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: Z3, e46, Ford Explorer
I would not suggest doing the old pump the pedal technique as there is a possibility of a seal leak around the master cylinder plunger when pushed in further than when normally applying the brakes. Check out one of the pressure brake bleeders on the market. BAV Auto has one. Here is a link to the video.

http://blog.bavauto.com/9996/bmw-and...ush-diy-video/

I have not yet done my Z3, but I will do it before the Fall. I did bleed my brakes on my e30 convertible using the pressure bleeder without any problems or helpers.

Al
Old 09-17-2012, 08:01 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
I don't use a pressure bleeder any more. I found it hard to get a nice firm pedal. The bleeders we buy for home use pressurize the fluid directly, which can lead to micro bubbles in the fluid.

I gravity bleed. For a flush, I pump the pedal a couple of times, then let it just gravity drain for a while.

Also, for the resevoir, if you are that picky, put in about 1/3 fresh fluid and remove to get the rest of the old fluid. I use a turkey baster (ONLY used for this purpose) to remove the fluid from the resevoir.

I fill the resevoir with fresh fluid, so as to not end up draining it all out, which then is a BIG problem.

For fluid, I like Castrol GT LMA for street cars. ATE Type 200 (probably have to mail order) is basically the stock fluid.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 09-18-2012, 06:05 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
I like the turkey baster idea.

What mileage should you change out break fluid?

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 09-18-2012, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: Z3, e46, Ford Explorer
You should change/bleed your brake fluid annually.

Al
Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
I like the turkey baster idea.

What mileage should you change out break fluid?
BMW recommends a fluid flush for the Z4 every two years, regardless of mileage.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
Yea, I found my copy of the last service and the dealership showed doing a brake flush as part of it. But warranty is due to run out any day now so next service is on me.

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 09-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Yoda with a library card

Mein Auto: 1999 M Coupe
Brake fluid absorbs water over time and that is where the recommendation of every 2 years comes from. Water in brake fluid lowers the boiling point of the fluid and causes corrosion in the braking system. Never use an opened container of brake fluid unless you know it has been sealed up well and only for a short time. It will go bad right on your shelf. My rule of thumb is 3 months. Yours may vary. Some specialty brake fluids (racing formulas come to mind) absorb water faster and need to be changed once or twice a year so unless you have a specific application for these fluids or you just love crawling underneath your car, you can stay away from these fluids.
1995 318i spray paint red, 170,000 miles and climbing