Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 Z4 3.0i
E85 z4 transmission thermostat

So my expansion tank recently started leaking coolant. Water poured out of the bottom large o-ring. Tank is fine no cracks fortunately as its a 100 dollar part. But! While removing the tank I noticed the thermostat to the transmission cooler was also broken. Is this part really necessary? I pulled the stat out and was thinking about running it without it. I can't see this hurting the transmission or any other parts? Thoughts? Only thing I can think of is the trans will take a tad longer for oil temps to warm up. But it's not like I live in cold weather here. I really don't see a need for this part.
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2012, 10:52 PM

Nobody?
Old 08-30-2012, 03:14 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0
I would think if the BMW Engineers put this part on the car their must be a need for this part. I would put a new one on.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
In my experience, I feel that Mikey48 is dead on the money.

The OEM's would not put something on a car unless it was needed. They could keep it off the car and charge the same price and boost the profit margins.
You also don't know what the ECU does with that data.....

Are you sure its a transmission temperature sensor? I cannot find anything in any documentation that talks about a sensor for that.
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 08-30-2012, 03:01 PM

No it's the thermostat for the transmission cooler. It bolts on the radiator on the bottom driver side. It's works similar to a air/water intercooler
Old 08-30-2012, 03:08 PM

I sorta figure this is for the automatic transmission.
Are you talking about no. 4 in the diagram?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...41&hg=17&fg=05
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 08-30-2012, 03:11 PM

Yes sir that's her alright.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:19 PM

Learned something new today...

From the WDS (BMW Electrical Manual):

The transmission oil sump temperature is sensed by a temperature-dependent resistor which is soldered in the transmission wiring harness. Among other things, engagement of the torque converter lockup clutch is controlled dependent on the transmission oil temperature.

The way I read this is that the transmission control module, will very the amount of torque need based on fluid temperature. Now knowing that the automatic transmissions that BMW uses don't last like good old American autos, I would definitely put this back in. These transmissions are (normally) not rebuild-able and if it goes, you replace the entire unit... I also replace the transmission fluid every 30K miles... (http://www.shipkiller.com/Autoxmission_fluid.html)
Old 08-30-2012, 03:24 PM

That was very helpful. Thank you. I'll definitely be replacing that part.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:37 PM

Since you replaced the tank O-ring, I would be willing to bet the next thing to start to leak will be the coolant temp sensor, or more specifically the O-ring, then the O-rings in both hoses....

When I developed a leak in the wife's Roadsters cooling system, I just went ahead and replaced both hoses and the temp sensor. Now I don't have to worry about it for another 40-60K miles.....
Old 08-30-2012, 03:44 PM

I'm going to replace all the o rings since its all off at the moment. The thing is BMW won't sell me just the o rings. I have to buy the whole expansion tank for a 37 cent part that I need. And all the hoses and temp sensor. And all I need are the o rings!!!! There goes another 300 bucks
Old 08-30-2012, 03:51 PM

Yep,,

You can source the O-rings on the internet. Just remember these are METRIC O-rings...

If the expansion tank is the original one, then it could be on borrowed time...

Use your BMW CCA discount (15%) or price out the parts at Tischer......
Old 08-30-2012, 03:54 PM

The expansion tanks looks like it has been replaced before. Which is odd. But your right, might as well just replaced it for peace of mind.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:05 AM

Anyone know where I can find the expansion tank o-rings? I'm having no luck so far.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:28 AM

Nevermind that precious post. I just found the crack in the expansion tank.