Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30
Coding Car Software 55.xx

Hi guys,

does anybody know, if there is a possibility to code the F30 chassis with the 55.x software on it. My car is actually on software 54.xx but I want to buy the M Performance Power Kit for my 320d, and then the dealer will have to update the car to 55.xx, and then all of my codings will be deleted.

So can anybody help me because then I will have to delete my LED Fog Lights and my little goodies and I really donīt want to.

Please help me
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2015, 12:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530xD F11
Hi sdreisei,

it should be.
You will find more information's here...
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=824503

They were talking about 54.3 but I think it should be same for 55.x
Old 02-25-2015, 12:41 PM

Send a message via ICQ to smahel
Mein Auto: M235i
Hi.
Some new CAFD files have differences against older ones (in my case ASD, FEM_BODY, HU_NBT and REM), so I successfully used this method couple days ago: Backup your coded CAFD files !! After flashing to new i-level F020-15-03-500 (in my case E-Sys flashing all the car ) -> save new CAFD files (E-Sys + psdzdata 2.55) -> rename them to the same names as your backuped files -> code them with your values in E-Sys + psdzdata 2.54 -> rename them back to original names -> code FDL in E-Sys + psdzdata 2.55.
Works without issues for me - M235i

Last edited by smahel; 02-25-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:18 PM

Ok, sounds logical.
But if there is a new parameter in v.55.x you will not be able to see it if you do the change with v.54 right?
Old 02-25-2015, 01:53 PM

Yes, of course. Thats why I coded only known previously changed values . But for me is coding mainly important in FEM_BODY and REM because of LED bulbs.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW M5
Is there any way to see the new values added? So your renaming old cafd coded files to the new name after the update ?
Old 02-25-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahel View Post
Yes, of course. Thats why I coded only known previously changed values . But for me is coding mainly important in FEM_BODY and REM because of LED bulbs.
Thanks for the information. I think at moment it is a good way to keep the ability for coding. I hope there will be sometimes another solution too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy9980 View Post
Is there any way to see the new values added? So your renaming old cafd coded files to the new name after the update ?
I dont think so. If you open the trimmed cafd you will see just folders named with a dot. Only possibility to realize a new parameter will be to count this folders and compare the numbers ot folder with your old cafd. But also if you will find one parameter more, you still dont know which one it is and you will not be able to change it.

No, you dont need to rename old cafd files. After the update of the modules you need to rename the new cafd. Naming need to be the same like the cafd in v54.1 (this is the last version without trimmed cafd). Otherwise you will get the error message that E-SYS cant find the right cafd in your psdzdata folder.
Than code the files in E-SYS and safe it. Next step will be rename the new files back to original naming and change the psdzdata folder from 54.1 to 55.x and press code FDL button in E-SYS.

I am not able to confirm this method because i did not try it till yet, but it sound really logical.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:45 PM

I can confirm this method, my bimmer is on i-level F020-15-03-500 (psdzdata 2.55.0) and coded via that method. CPUs coded in that way are HU_NBT, FEM_BODY, REM and ASD. Other coded CPUs (KOMBI, SM2) have the same CAFDs (but trimmed) like i-level F020-14-11-502 (psdzdata 2.54.xx), so you can use older ones (54.xx)
Old 02-26-2015, 01:18 AM

I saw most changes in REM CPU in the sections 3201 PdcVehicleConfig, 3202 PdcSensorConfigFrontRear, 3203 PdcParkMasterVar and 3205 PdcSensorParameters, but nowhere any added value.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:05 AM

Mein Auto: F10 520D
Thanks for sharing , it's good to know the method.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:13 AM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Hello!

Just an information from Germany. Afaik BMW has many problems with the 55.0. After programming the car with the new software some cars can drive at home, but when the ECUs get into the deep sleep some are not able to wake up later. The car will drive not only one inch.

I got the information from a friend of mine that BMW declared the new version for not useable and informed the dealer here in Germany.

CU Oliver
Old 02-26-2015, 04:28 AM

Thanks, it seems it is not my case, my car goes well cca 14 days.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:32 AM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Hello!

As I said, not always - only some cars but this is enough for BMW.

CU Oliver
Old 02-26-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkyway View Post
Hello!

Just an information from Germany. Afaik BMW has many problems with the 55.0. After programming the car with the new software some cars can drive at home, but when the ECUs get into the deep sleep some are not able to wake up later. The car will drive not only one inch.

I got the information from a friend of mine that BMW declared the new version for not useable and informed the dealer here in Germany.

CU Oliver

That's always good, I would think they would test before releasing to the dealer.

I don't think I will update the car to v55 don't seem to be any good benefits ?

Nobody_47
Also thank you for explaining new method for coding. Will try when I update the car next time.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:42 AM

Doing this new method if BMW changes the order of the code options from old to new cafd we could run the risk of enabling other code features right ?
Old 02-26-2015, 11:35 AM

You dont have to thank me, smahel explained it and I just tried to repeat it with my own words.

Regarding order change in cafd, well this is a really good question.
I dont have v.55.0, so I am not able to have a look on it.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:14 PM

I dont know if anyone else has noticed this. But I would like to point out that the issue is not that BMW has trimmed the files. It seems that maybe they are using a different encryption or other something else to change the view of the cafd files.

So what I did tonight, I was switching back and forth between v54.1 and v55 So I have backup of all my cafd files that are from 54.1 which I can read with no issues. As soon as I switch over to v55 Data my back up cafd files show the trimmed style cafd file. Now these are backup files from my v54.1 data.

So my point is if I go back back to 54.1 I can read them with no issues. If I switch v55 I'm unable too meaning I see the dots in the description. So this is why I think the newer psdzdata is using a different encryption or BMW has enabled some kind of masking in the newer psdzdata for the cafd files.

Or it could be an issue with the token its self?

Has anyone else tried this ?

Last edited by jimmy9980; 02-27-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:29 PM

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
I dont know if anyone else has noticed this. But I would like to point out that the issue is not that BMW has trimmed the files. It seems that maybe they are using a different encryption or other something else to change the view of the cafd files.

So what I did tonight, I was switching back and forth between v54.1 and v55 So I have backup of all my cafd files that are from 54.1 which I can read with no issues. As soon as I switch over to v55 Data my back up cafd files show the trimmed style cafd file. Now these are backup files from my v54.1 data.

So my point is if I go back back to 54.1 I can read them with no issues. If I switch v55 I'm unable too meaning I see the dots in the description. So this is why I think the newer psdzdata is using a different encryption or BMW has enabled some kind of masking in the newer psdzdata for the cafd files.

you don't understand....

your ncd files just have the "Values".... the psdzdata is what has the metadata and descriptions for each code....

anything you read with v55 will have trimmed data... regardless of what ncd values you load on it.....

Last edited by mvaccaro; 02-28-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 328i xDrive M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by smahel View Post
Hi.
Some new CAFD files have differences against older ones (in my case ASD, FEM_BODY, HU_NBT and REM), so I successfully used this method couple days ago: Backup your coded CAFD files !! After flashing to new i-level F020-15-03-500 (in my case E-Sys flashing all the car ) -> save new CAFD files (E-Sys + psdzdata 2.55) -> rename them to the same names as your backuped files -> code them with your values in E-Sys + psdzdata 2.54 -> rename them back to original names -> code FDL in E-Sys + psdzdata 2.55.
Works without issues for me - M235i
What if your car has never been coded before? My F23 228i xDrive cabrio is going to be a March production and will likely have 2.55.

Is there any workaround for that?

I guess we can try this

1) Read the ECU on 2.55 and get the NCD file
2) Find the 54.1 equivalent of that ECU cafd file and rename the NCD file to that name
3) Use the FDL editor to change the values
4) Change the name back to its original name, load the file into the cafd folder where all the other NCD files are and press code FDL while on 2.55

Last edited by Aritaurus; 02-28-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 328i xDrive M Sport
Quote:

I think you may be right.

The fact that some people have been able to read their NCD files from 2.55 on 2.54 renamed tells us that it could be some sort of encryption.

My friend and I are going to try this method next week when he flashes his car to 2.55. We're going to read the ECU's to get the NCD files for HU_NBT, FEM_BODY then rename them to their 2.54 equivalents and edit them using 2.54. Once that's done, we'll load these files back into the cafd directory and code FDL using 2.55.

Last edited by Aritaurus; 02-28-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:42 AM

I really don't think that it pulls metadata from pszdata. I would think the cafd its self has all the info in.

I still think it's something with the token not working with newer versions or encryption changes.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
I think you may be right.

The fact that some people have been able to read their NCD files from 2.55 on 2.54 renamed tells us that it could be some sort of encryption.

My friend and I are going to try this method next week when he flashes his car to 2.55. We're going to read the ECU's to get the NCD files for HU_NBT, FEM_BODY then rename them to their 2.54 equivalents and edit them using 2.54. Once that's done, we'll load these files back into the cafd directory and code FDL using 2.55.

Ok sounds good let me know how it goes. I'm going to wait before I update to v55
Old 02-28-2015, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
I really don't think that it pulls metadata from pszdata. I would think the cafd its self has all the info in.

I still think it's something with the token not working with newer versions or encryption changes.
You are completely wrong. It has nothing to do with Encryption. The new Trimmed files when decrypted and parsed to xml have all the descriptive text removed from then. End of story. A simple comparison of the file sizes of the same CAFD file, Trimmed and Untrimmed, tells you the Trimmed files have data removed as they are a fraction of the size. If it were an Encryption issue, the file sizes would be nearly identical.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 02-28-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
You are completely wrong. It has nothing to do with Encryption. The new Trimmed files when decrypted and parsed to xml have all the descriptive text removed from then. End of story. A simple comparison of the file sizes of the same CAFD file, Trimmed and Untrimmed, tells you the Trimmed files have data removed as they are a fraction of the size. If it were an Encryption issue, the file sizes would be nearly identical.

The part that I'm confused by is if you use a cafd file from 54.1 (Nbt cafd was used) I can read it. So what I did is dump that same readable file (Nbt cafd file ) into the caf folder on the v55 data I'm unable to read it. It looks like a trimmed file. All I did is move it from v54.1 folder to v55 folder. If I put it back there's no issue.

I was using token masters Ndc reader to do this. It's really strange it's almost as if it masks the data.

Last edited by jimmy9980; 02-28-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
The part that I'm confused by is if you use a cafd file from 54.1 (Nbt cafd was used) I can read it. So what I did is dump that same readable file (Nbt cafd file ) into the caf folder on the v55 data I'm unable to read it. It looks like a trimmed file. All I did is move it from v54.1 folder to v55 folder. If I put it back there's no issue.

I was using token masters Ndc reader to do this. It's really strange it's almost as if it masks the data.
Sorry, but that is not possible. An Untrimmed CAFD from 54.1 placed in 55.0 CAFD folder, overwriting the one from 55.0 would not appear Trimmed, because it isn't trimmed.

You need to test it again. And if it does appear Trimmed to you, where are you seeing it as such? It would not be that way in the CAF-Viewer or FDL-Editor.

Now if it appears Trimmed viewing FP (Vehicle Profile) using the FA-Editor, that is because the FAFP File in 55.0 is Trimmed, not the CAFD file.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 02-28-2015 at 01:21 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming
Today's Posts Search