Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Zeitkriterium - What it is and why you should care (HINT = VO Date)

For those times when FDL Coding isn't practical, such as trying to add ECO PRO on a Pre 2012 Car, where the FDL Changes are too numerous and spread out in many different ECU's (i.e. KOMBI, HU_CIC, JBBF, IHKA, etc.), it is much easier to modify your VO, such as adding Option Code 4U2 to it, and then VO Coding the affected modules.

That said, when VO Coding, E-Sys also looks at the "VO Date", aka Production Date, and codes accordingly. Thus just adding 4U2 to a car with a 0910 Production Date won't get you very far as E-Sys knows 4U2 did not exist in 0910. So, the VO date needs to be changed for example to 0911 or greater when MY2012's began Production.

How so you ask? In your FA, you simply need to change the date in the Zeitkriterium field, save your FA, then write it to the car, and then VO Code the ECU's you need.

Here is just a simple illustration of this fact. Attached are pictures of my CIC, Split Screen and Full Screen, with HU_CIC VO Coded based on the original Production date of 0910, and afterwards with my VO modified with an 0712 Production Date.

Apparently at some point in time, BMW changed the screen layout, where before it had small album art and the current playback list was listed below it, and now it has big album art, and there is a vertical icon menu to the left with the top icon for the current playback list. I wasn't even aware BMW changed the layout until I VO Coded my HU_CIC, and I still don't know exactly what FDL Changes are behind it, so if I wanted to FDL Code this feature, I couldn't.

Incidentally, I am glad BMW changed the screen layout, because it was pretty awful before with the postage stamp sized album art and especially in the full screen mode with the underlying main menu still visible on the left side of the screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIC - VO Coded - 0910 - Split Screen.jpg
Views:	1062
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	339332   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIC - VO Coded - 0910 - Full Screen.jpg
Views:	888
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	339333   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIC - VO Coded - 0712 - Split Screen.jpg
Views:	976
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	339334   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIC - VO Coded - 0712 - Full Screen.jpg
Views:	951
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	339335  

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - 2TB SAT / 6WB MFID Cluster / 4U1 Ceramic Controls / 6NR BMW Apps / Rear Fog Lights / Cyba Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 09-01-2012 at 05:03 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 08-28-2012, 01:10 PM
The One who Drives.

Mein Auto: 11 f25 n55/09 Jetta TDI
So, you are saying that I can enable EcoPro in my 08/2011 35i? Can you write what needs to be changed in a little simpler terms, pls? Thanks!

Trips and Pieces - My new blog for Travelers by Travelers!
Personal Euro Delivery Blog

My, somewhat outdated, BMW Euro Delivery of 2009 blog with pics!
Old 08-28-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandanio View Post
So, you are saying that I can enable EcoPro in my 08/2011 35i? Can you write what needs to be changed in a little simpler terms, pls? Thanks!
Well, the purpose of this thread was to demonstrate the affect of the VO Date on VO Coding, and I used ECO PRO only as an example, but since you ask about ECO PRO, I'll say that it is most likely possible. I am still working on it, but as of now, I have about 90% of it working on my MY2011 (09/10 build) 535i.

My DEC Switch now shows Comfort+ and ECO PRO modes in addition to Normal, Comfort, Sport, and Sport+. I can select Comfort+, but for some reason I still can not select ECO Pro. The Efficient Dynamic Screens are there, and the Fuel Consumption Histogram is working, and so are the Battery and Climate Screen Animations, which you can see in the above split-screen CIC pictures.

I think what is holding me back from being able to select ECO PRO on my DEC is the firmware on my KOMBI, and maybe my CIC, needs to be updated. I need to get the Dealer to program my car with 47.4 and see if that does the trick.

Basically, to get where I am at, you would just add option 4U2 to your VO and write it to the car. Then you would VO Code KOMBI, HU_CIC, JBBF, and IHKA. Thats it. If you want to know more, PM me.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - 2TB SAT / 6WB MFID Cluster / 4U1 Ceramic Controls / 6NR BMW Apps / Rear Fog Lights / Cyba Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips
Old 09-13-2012, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 520d SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
change the date in the Zeitkriterium field, save your FA, then write it to the car
Stupid question: How do you write it to the car? I managed to Edit the File, I can load and save it, and I can "activate" it - but I don't see an option to write it back. Whenever I re"read" my FA, it's back to the original Zeitkriterium...

Regards
DD
Old 09-13-2012, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
try this

ab Seite 5 siehst du das Feld "Zeitkriterium"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E-Sys - How to change FA in F-series car.pdf (805.5 KB, 645 views)
Old 09-13-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldriver View Post
Stupid question: How do you write it to the car? I managed to Edit the File, I can load and save it, and I can "activate" it - but I don't see an option to write it back. Whenever I re"read" my FA, it's back to the original Zeitkriterium...

Regards
DD
Expert Mode => VCM
=> File Tab => Vehicle Order => File Name => Select your FA File
=> VCM Master Tab
Right Click on FA
Calculate FP
Select Write FA FP (Will show "FA FP written" in bottom left corner)
Select Read FA FP VIN (Will show "FA read from master. /// VIN read from master" in bottom left corner)
Expand VO and see that your VO Changes (Production Date, Option Codes, etc.) are shown.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW F10 528i M Sport
The screen layout can also be enabled by coding
HU_CIC -> 3003 -> CDMM_USB_HMI to new. The orignial value is old. There is no need to change VO or re-code ECU to get this enabled.

Quote:
For those times when FDL Coding isn't practical, such as trying to add ECO PRO on a Pre 2012 Car, where the FDL Changes are too numerous and spread out in many different ECU's (i.e. KOMBI, HU_CIC, JBBF, IHKA, etc.), it is much easier to modify your VO, such as adding Option Code 4U2 to it, and then VO Coding the affected modules.

That said, when VO Coding, E-Sys also looks at the "VO Date", aka Production Date, and codes accordingly. Thus just adding 4U2 to a car with a 0910 Production Date won't get you very far as E-Sys knows 4U2 did not exist in 0910. So, the VO date needs to be changed for example to 0911 or greater when MY2012's began Production.

How so you ask? In your FA, you simply need to change the date in the Zeitkriterium field, save your FA, then write it to the car, and then VO Code the ECU's you need.

Here is just a simple illustration of this fact. Attached are pictures of my CIC, Split Screen and Full Screen, with HU_CIC VO Coded based on the original Production date of 0910, and afterwards with my VO modified with an 0712 Production Date.

Apparently at some point in time, BMW changed the screen layout, where before it had small album art and the current playback list was listed below it, and now it has big album art, and there is a vertical icon menu to the left with the top icon for the current playback list. I wasn't even aware BMW changed the layout until I VO Coded my HU_CIC, and I still don't know exactly what FDL Changes are behind it, so if I wanted to FDL Code this feature, I couldn't.

Incidentally, I am glad BMW changed the screen layout, because it was pretty awful before with the postage stamp sized album art and especially in the full screen mode with the underlying main menu still visible on the left side of the screen.

Last edited by marcosg; 09-22-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:39 AM

Mein Auto: X3 20d f25
Quote:

Hi Shawn, when I calculate FP after change the VO date, I get an error from esys saying: PSDZ error " no FP could be generated from FA "". [C002]
Not all elements of the FA were found in the FA2FP: Zeitkriterium 0711
[72] - SYSTEM_ERROR".
My original zeitkriterium is 0411.
May be psdzdata are too old?
I have esys 3.18 and psdzdata 46.3....
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by clausx3; 09-22-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosg View Post
HU_CIC -> 3003 -> CDMM_USB_HMI to new orignial value is old. There is no need to change VO or re-code ECU to get this enabled.
Excellent! That is good to know. Thank you for determining that. I was wondering what FDL was behind it.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: F10
Maybe we need to figure out if there are more option codes that go along with 4U2.

By the way, I followed what you did and it worked for me. Although, I always had my album pictures large and my 528 was built around the same time as yours.

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinese_food View Post
Maybe we need to figure out if there are more option codes that go along with 4U2.

By the way, I followed what you did and it worked for me. Although, I always had my album pictures large and my 528 was built around the same time as yours.

Thanks!
What was your old build date, and what did you change it to?

Old 10-08-2012, 08:31 PM

My vehicle build date is 0711 and I change it to 0712. My mistake it looks like your build date was a bit earlier.

Just an FYI, I VO the DME with 4U2 and got a fuel system error on my iDrive (I fixed it so no worries). But im thinking that adding a legit ECO mode on our F10's isnt possible. There may be hardware involved. What do you think?
Old 10-08-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
My vehicle build date is 0711 and I change it to 0712. My mistake it looks like your build date was a bit earlier.

Just an FYI, I VO the DME with 4U2 and got a fuel system error on my iDrive (I fixed it so no worries). But im thinking that adding a legit ECO mode on our F10's isnt possible. There may be hardware involved. What do you think?
I think any date after 0311 is the new audio screen layout, and since you were already at 0711, you had it. Since my original VO date was 0910, I had the old layout.

I do not think 4U2 has any hardware at all. I am going to play with it some more soon and see if I can't figure it out.

Tell me since you changed your date to 0712, is your oil measurement screen working?

Do you have just one icon with a check mark under it, or a second icon too with a circle under it?

Old 10-08-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
HU_CIC -> 3003 -> CDMM_USB_HMI to new. The orignial value is old. There is no need to change VO or re-code ECU to get this enabled.
I don't think this is right. My car has the new audio screen layout, but CDMM_USB_HMI is actually set = old.

Have you tried setting yours to old, and seeing if the layout changed?

Old 10-09-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
I think any date after 0311 is the new audio screen layout, and since you were already at 0711, you had it. Since my original VO date was 0910, I had the old layout.

I do not think 4U2 has any hardware at all. I am going to play with it some more soon and see if I can't figure it out.

Tell me since you changed your date to 0712, is your oil measurement screen working?

Do you have just one icon with a check mark under it, or a second icon too with a circle under it?
---
My oil measurement screen does work and it is not any different. Not sure if I understand what you are talking about when you say 'circle under it'. Regardless, nothing has changed on the oil screen for me.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
---
My oil measurement screen does work and it is not any different. Not sure if I understand what you are talking about when you say 'circle under it'. Regardless, nothing has changed on the oil screen for me.
Look at the difference between the first picture and the second picture. The Oil Measurement system is different in that there are two icons and screens versus just one. Besides the standard oil can icon with a check mark below it, there is an added new icon with an oil can and circle under it, which is where the actual oil level (min-max) would be displayed.

When I use a Production date of 1211, it's unchanged from my original 0910 screen. When I use a Production date of 0312 on, I get the two screens, and it does not work.

Since you went from 0711 to 0712, yours too should have changed from the single screen to the two screens, and I am wondering if yours is working properly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIC - Vehicle Info - Vehicle Status - Engine Oil Level - Normal.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	344896   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIC - Vehicle Info - Vehicle Status - Engine Oil Level - Error.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	344897   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIC - Vehicle Info - Vehicle Status - Engine Measure Engine Oil Level.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	344898  

Old 10-09-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I don't think this is right. My car has the new audio screen layout, but CDMM_USB_HMI is actually set = old.

Have you tried setting yours to old, and seeing if the layout changed?
Yes, I tested it. If I set it to old, I get the old audio screen. Note, that I did NOT change my VO Date. Mine is set to 1210 i.e (Dec 2010).
Old 10-09-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Yes, I tested it. If I set it to old, I get the old audio screen. Note, that I did NOT change my VO Date. Mine is set to 1210 i.e (Dec 2010).
Weird. The production date is used as the basis for how the ECU will be FDL Coded. Whether I used 0910 or say 1211, CDMM_USB_HMI stayed set at old, yet obviously my layout changed, which would indicate it is some other parameter causing the change. When I get a chance, I will set it back to 0910, then test it at both "old" and "new" and see if it changes.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Weird. The production date is used as the basis for how the ECU will be FDL Coded. Whether I used 0910 or say 1211, CDMM_USB_HMI stayed set at old, yet obviously my layout changed, which would indicate it is some other parameter causing the change. When I get a chance, I will set it back to 0910, then test it at both "old" and "new" and see if it changes.
Ok marcosg, you were in fact correct. I'm not sure what happened when I first tested it, but CDMM_USB_HM= New is in fact responsible for the new MP3 Player layout, and any VO Coding of the CIC using a Production Date of 0311 onward will enable it.

Now, I discovered something else too, that must have a different FDL code behind it. If you run the VO Production Date out further to 0711 and onward, another change happens whereby the Radio Station Presets instead of just displaying the Radio Station's K/W Call Letters and the Radio Band next to it (e.g. KKBQ HD1 FM), it will display the Radio Station Frequency and the K/W Call Letters (e.g. 92.9 KKBQ HD1), which for me is a much welcome change as I remember Radio Stations by their frequency, and not their K/W Call Letters. Prior to this, I would look at my presets and struggle to remember what radio station was what.

Now, I need to hunt down the actual FDL change responsible for changing the Radio Station Preset display.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIC - FM - VO Coded - 0910 - Full Screen.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	345434   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIC - FM - VO Coded - 0711 - Full Screen.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	345435  

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 10-12-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:20 PM
The One who Drives.

Mein Auto: 11 f25 n55/09 Jetta TDI
Quote:
Now, I need to hunt down the actual FDL change responsible for changing the Radio Station Preset display.
Now that, my friend, would be awesome!

Trips and Pieces - My new blog for Travelers by Travelers!
Personal Euro Delivery Blog

My, somewhat outdated, BMW Euro Delivery of 2009 blog with pics!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
Shawn

Try :

3002 AUDIO_TUNER_TRAFFIC, 78>ANZEIGE_FREQ

JEG23
Old 10-13-2012, 03:05 AM

Fuel Consumption Histogram

Quote:
Ok marcosg, you were in fact correct. I'm not sure what happened when I first tested it, but CDMM_USB_HM= New is in fact responsible for the new MP3 Player layout, and any VO Coding of the CIC using a Production Date of 0311 onward will enable it.

Now, I discovered something else too, that must have a different FDL code behind it. If you run the VO Production Date out further to 0711 and onward, another change happens whereby the Radio Station Presets instead of just displaying the Radio Station's K/W Call Letters and the Radio Band next to it (e.g. KKBQ HD1 FM), it will display the Radio Station Frequency and the K/W Call Letters (e.g. 92.9 KKBQ HD1), which for me is a much welcome change as I remember Radio Stations by their frequency, and not their K/W Call Letters. Prior to this, I would look at my presets and struggle to remember what radio station was what.

I also found that you can enable the Fuel Consumption Histogram without changing the VO or Production date by coding the following:
HI_CIC - 3000 HMI - ECO_MODE = aktiv (Displays Efficient Dynamic Menu in CIC Nav menu)
KOMBI - 3003 FZG - VERBER_HISTOIRE_ENABLE = aktiv (Enables fuel consumption histogram)
KOMBI - 3004 ERM - CTR_HSTY_DISP_KI_APPL = aktiv (Enables fuel consumption histogram)

Last edited by marcosg; 10-13-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: X3 20d f25
Hello, thanks for these info, I will try soon on my f25 and will post results.
Edit: Great!!! All work.

Last edited by clausx3; 10-13-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausx3 View Post
Hello, thanks for these info, I will try soon on my f25 and will post results.
Edit: Great!!! All work.
That's great! Enjoy...
Old 10-15-2012, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
split screen album art

Originally Posted by marcosg
HU_CIC -> 3003 -> CDMM_USB_HMI to new orignial value is old. There is no need to change VO or re-code ECU to get this enabled.

Could one of the coding guru help me code: In small split screen use the old style album art layout, as the new style shows only album art and title, the old style would show more mp3 info. This is only needed for the small split screen. thanks.

Last edited by mrbombastic; 10-15-2012 at 06:37 AM.