Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 08-30-2012, 05:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
This is not correct. The 335d uses the same ZF 6HP26 that the 335i uses. However, it has a different torque converter with double lockup clutches due to the higher torque. (Reference: the ST180 or Advanced Diesel pdfs that have been posted here.)
Here is a source from a prior thread that differs: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=30

"ZF emailed me saying that the 335i & X3 get the 6HP21 TU, and the 335d, X3d and all X5 models get the 6HP28 TU" where the 6HP21 cannot handle the torque of a 335d. The 6HP28 is the updated version of the 6HP26, both have a much higher torque rating than the 6HP21. See http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...5&d=1170985745 for the torque ratings.

PL

Last edited by Pierre Louis; 08-30-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
GA6HP26TU in ST810 - Advanced Diesel Tech.

I believe service information from BMW more than non-attributed sources.

Search for ST810 - Advanced Diesel Technology Workbook. On Page 20, it specifically talks about differences between the other 3-series and X5, and states definitively that they use the GA6HP26TU transmission, and then talks about the Twin Damper Torque Converter used in that transmission. It does say that that transmission is used in the X5 4.8i.

Although they have different designations (6HP21 or 6HP19), the same transmission is used in the 335i. I suppose that they could be called different transmissions because of the designation difference, but the same transmission ratios are used in the 335i and 335d and X5d (the final drive ratios are different.) I suppose I'm focussing more on the gearset than the designations.

Last edited by floydarogers; 08-30-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:35 PM

These are all different transmissions because their torque characteristics and capabilities are different. if you care to read my post it is specific to this status. That is why they have different names. if you have something important to say please do.

PL
Old 08-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Waiting for the d

Mein Auto: '10 335d
The 3 main areas where I'm concerned about reliability in my D is:
1. Tranny - knowing that we have the same upgraded for torque zf tranny has me worried as the 7 series ZF 6 speed has a horrible reputation, many owners have had to dump their cars due to the prohibitive >$8000 price for a rebuilt tranny swap. There's also NO known acceptable 3rd party replacement for the ZF lube guard ATF. Some guys have tried other fluids, but no long term follow up yet

2. DEF system - All the frequent fill ups and primary/secondary tank issues leave me little faith in its reliability.

3. Twin turbo system-given the multiple N54 TT failures also has be concerned about ours. I soon regret selling my very reliable E46. That one has had all its bugs worker out

'10 335d Monaco blue/oyster/SP/PP/Enhanced Premium Sound/nav from phillipek SBBMW
Click Here for Pics!
Old 08-30-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
1. Tranny - knowing that we have the same upgraded for torque zf tranny has me worried as the 7 series ZF 6 speed has a horrible reputation, many owners have had to dump their cars due to the prohibitive >$8000 price for a rebuilt tranny swap. There's also NO known acceptable 3rd party replacement for the ZF lube guard ATF. Some guys have tried other fluids, but no long term follow up yet
Best to service it earlier as per ZF more severe service recommendations to prevent the more likely failures that are documented across the board with these types of transmissions which involve fluid wearing out and/or getting water contamination. Change the fluid every 30 to 60,000 miles, and see how discolored it comes out! That has been my experience with many different automatics over the years (not all of them). The torque converter reliability may be a separate issue, I don't know.

PL
Old 08-30-2012, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
2-3 people have said their transmissions had to be replaced in their 335d cars on here. I recall asking one what the cost associated with the repair would(he had a warranty) have been and I don't remember the price but do remember it being what I'd call reasonable cost. I'd never call $8k reasonable so no idea why such a difference between a 7 and a 3, if the difference is in fact true.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
2-3 people have said their transmissions had to be replaced in their 335d cars on here. I recall asking one what the cost associated with the repair would(he had a warranty) have been and I don't remember the price but do remember it being what I'd call reasonable cost. I'd never call $8k reasonable so no idea why such a difference between a 7 and a 3, if the difference is in fact true.
According to realoem.com, the transmission is a $5800 item. Adding in the labor you could well get to $8K.

Pierre, I am probably too hung up on this. The 6hp19 is derived from the 6hp26, they both have the same ratios - I'm willing to bet that many if not most of the internals are the same. Nevertheless, with different designations, I'm willing to concede they're different transmissions.

BTW, even Mike Miller says a 60K transmission fluid change interval is "ok". I see no reason to go 30K. My 'd is at 53K, next oil change is also a tranny fluid change.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
According to realoem.com, the transmission is a $5800 item. Adding in the labor you could well get to $8K.

Pierre, I am probably too hung up on this. The 6hp19 is derived from the 6hp26, they both have the same ratios - I'm willing to bet that many if not most of the internals are the same. Nevertheless, with different designations, I'm willing to concede they're different transmissions.

BTW, even Mike Miller says a 60K transmission fluid change interval is "ok". I see no reason to go 30K. My 'd is at 53K, next oil change is also a tranny fluid change.
Reman or new?
Old 08-30-2012, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335d
OP you might find this thread informative.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=609922&page=3
Old 08-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Waiting for the d

Mein Auto: '10 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
Reman or new?
Realoem says reman as is expected as our car is no longer made. Considering the amount of integration there is between the tranny and the car, I'd be leery of using an Indy to do a proper tranny swap. When a simple e90 battery change requires DME programming...
In other words, there isn't a cheaper way short of BMW doing a goodwill discount. While having 'fun' changing my rear diff oil without a drain plug, I've come to realize BMW is designing their cars these days to be only be cost effective as lease vehicles.

'10 335d Monaco blue/oyster/SP/PP/Enhanced Premium Sound/nav from phillipek SBBMW
Click Here for Pics!

Last edited by magbarn; 08-30-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Realoem says reman as is expected as our car is no longer made. Considering the amount of integration there is between the tranny and the car, I'd be leery of using an Indy to do a proper tranny swap. When a simple e90 battery change requires DME programming...
In other words, there isn't a cheaper way short of BMW doing a goodwill discount.
Looks like I was remembering wrong:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=12

And interesting enough back then I even thought that the $5400 price quoted there was reasonable. I must been drinking beer when I thought that, I tend to get more willing to spend money under those conditions.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
OP you might find this thread informative.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=609922&page=3
thanks, exactly what i was looking for.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:33 AM

Quote:
I believe service information from BMW more than non-attributed sources.

Search for ST810 - Advanced Diesel Technology Workbook. On Page 20, it specifically talks about differences between the other 3-series and X5, and states definitively that they use the GA6HP26TU transmission, and then talks about the Twin Damper Torque Converter used in that transmission. It does say that that transmission is used in the X5 4.8i.

Although they have different designations (6HP21 or 6HP19), the same transmission is used in the 335i. I suppose that they could be called different transmissions because of the designation difference, but the same transmission ratios are used in the 335i and 335d and X5d (the final drive ratios are different.) I suppose I'm focussing more on the gearset than the designations.
Apologies for beating a dead horse, but in case someone believes the above, I actually read the reference and it completely supports my original statement. It states that the 335d has the GA6HP26TU transmission which is found in V8 engines and is identical to the one in the X5 4.8 except for the torque converter, and that the gear ratios remain the same between the two vehicles. No mention is made comparing the 335d transmission to other 3 series until the next page when the internal ratios appear to be the same for a 335i but with a different final drive ratio.

Reference: http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...hmentid=497359

Regards.

PL

Last edited by Pierre Louis; 08-31-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
Mine is in after 22,000 kms / 14,000 miles. I got the "engine malfunction" message on my idrive telling me that my engine power was reduced. Used my BT scan tool and got a fault code related to "swirl flap actuator" being the issue. Took the car in two days ago and sure enough that was the issue but it's also deeper than that. My air intake manifold needs to be replaced and that part runs for $1,100 alone.

So glad I got the extended warranty a month and a half ago.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 335D aka '3D'
Im at 36K miles on my D and have had no major issues, besides belt squeal and recalls, touch wood. Speaking of trannies, Im at 36K miles on my D and have noticed a soft but distinct whine that seems to come from the tranny and is most noticeable around 70-75 mph. Maybe I should just drive faster! Anyone else notice that?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Love my Diesel Vehicles

Mein Auto: E350BlueTec, Jetta TDI
My 2010 D (in service date 21 Nov 2009) has just past 60,000 miles (97,000 KM) and no major issues other than the recalls & a grinding front passenger rear view mirror which was replaced over a year ago and a cracked windshield from stone chips on the highways.

I'm still on my original tires. I do have Winter tires for the last two years but my RF tires should last one more year.

Last month I do hear some squeaks when I exit the car which on troubleshooting I found to be due to the hand brakes as when I release the hand brakes or do not apply it there is no squeaks. The dealer says there is nothing to worry about.

On Monday I was at a client's house when he showed me his new F30 335i and when we compare the exhaust tips, his was black on the inside while my D's were almost spotless after 60K miles and almost 3 years.
He was impressed!

Fuel prices hit a new high today here in Toronto with RUG @ $1.39/litre in most stations and Premium Gas as high as $1.52/Litre! Ouch!
But my normal station still sells Diesel @ $1.18 when I went to fill up my ML and D today.

At these prices it makes more sense to drive a Diesel vehicle.

Current Rides:
2013 E350 BlueTec
2011 VW Jetta TDI
Old 09-12-2012, 08:12 PM

Hey DC-IT. I'm in Toronto too. What fuel do you fill up with?

I've mainly been using Shell V-Power this summer.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:59 AM
Love my Diesel Vehicles

GreekboyD.
The station is Kingston's Pump, 4660 Kingston Red & Asterfield Dr, Scarborough. They said their diesel is from Esso. I've used them for several years and so far all my diesel vehicles are not complaining!
I used to live on Asterfield Dr so I started using that station for convenience. If you download Gasbuddy app on your cell you will find that that station has the cheapest gas and diesel and its quite busy cos of the low price so the diesel turn around is fast as many smaller trucks fill up there and unlike Shell/Esso which normally has two diesel pumps there are four here.
During Summer this station sells Diesel for $1.139/l when Shell/Esso sells at $1.199/l. So you save. $3+/tank.
I do use Shell occasionally.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App

Current Rides:
2013 E350 BlueTec
2011 VW Jetta TDI
Old 09-13-2012, 04:17 AM

Very interesting. That sounds like a great place for you to fuel up but a little too far for me as Im closer to Laird/Eglinton area in Toronto.

I miss the Sunoco Gold Diesel. I doubt Husky is running the same diesel fuel after they took over.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-IT View Post
Fuel prices hit a new high today here in Toronto with RUG @ $1.39/litre in most stations and Premium Gas as high as $1.52/Litre! Ouch!
But my normal station still sells Diesel @ $1.18 when I went to fill up my ML and D today.

At these prices it makes more sense to drive a Diesel vehicle.
Please don't continue the myth about fuel price as the way to compare diesels to gassers. You save about 30% in mpg or more over an equivalent gasser, so at $1.18 per litre, you would break even, even if diesel was $1.54/litre when comparing to an equivalent car that takes gasoline at that price, whether regular or premium. Usually its premium for BMW or Mercedes, RUG for VW.

People are amazed when I tell them that I did the Math and that over 200,000 miles, my 2005 Mercedes E320 CDI saved me around US $10,000 in fuel costs over an equivalent gasser. This does not cover the extra value at resale that diesels often have over gassers.

PL

Last edited by Pierre Louis; 09-13-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Love my Diesel Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Please don't continue the myth about fuel price as the way to compare diesels to gassers. You save about 30% in mpg or more over an equivalent gasser, so at $1.18 per litre, you would break even, even if diesel was $1.54/litre when comparing to an equivalent car that takes gasoline at that price, whether regular or premium. Usually its premium for BMW or Mercedes, RUG for VW.

People are amazed when I tell them that I did the Math and that over 200,000 miles, my 2005 Mercedes E320 CDI saved me around US $10,000 in fuel costs over an equivalent gasser. This does not cover the extra value at resale that diesels often have over gassers.

PL
I am well aware of that, hence I have switched all my vehicles to diesel.
What I am getting at is that in addition to the better FE of a diesel, I am paying a lot less for diesel ($1.179/L) than premium gas ($1.52/L) at today's rates at the pumps.
Now when Winter comes around diesel is usually higher than RUG and close to Premium but even than the better FE still makes the diesel vehicle the overall winner.

Current Rides:
2013 E350 BlueTec
2011 VW Jetta TDI
Old 09-13-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-IT View Post
I am well aware of that, hence I have switched all my vehicles to diesel.
What I am getting at is that in addition to the better FE of a diesel, I am paying a lot less for diesel ($1.179/L) than premium gas ($1.52/L) at today's rates at the pumps.
Now when Winter comes around diesel is usually higher than RUG and close to Premium but even than the better FE still makes the diesel vehicle the overall winner.
Thx. Makes me feel better now..

PL
Old 09-13-2012, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: 335d, FIAT 500 Abarth
I also have that hum at 70 mph, as well as the sqeaky handbrake. It is a relief to know that I'm not the only one that has a car with so much 'character'.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Bimmer App
Old 03-03-2013, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: Lots
I had read on this forum that pre 2009 build dates had the hp26 transmission and was replaced with the hp28 transmission.