Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF330 View Post
Ribbing or not, it was a little over the top for my taste given that I have no history with you guys on this forum section. On top of that, he was getting testy and defensive about us coming here and crapping on his car beforehand, so I had no reason to believe he was just busting b*lls.

Regardless it's over he addressed it, I'm not a little kid and not getting spun up over a forum.

BJ, it's all good, I now know for next time!

RF, Emission [Mod] used to complain that BJ frightened nubees so badly they never came back.

Mike's known to understate. BJ's a man with eloquent, rascally intent. Be creative....

Name:  OK.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  1.6 KB

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 08-30-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:42 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Ribbing or not, it was a little over the top for my taste given that I have no history with you guys on this forum section. On top of that, he was getting testy and defensive about us coming here and crapping on his car beforehand, so I had no reason to believe he was just busting b*lls.

Regardless it's over he addressed it, I'm not a little kid and not getting spun up over a forum.

BJ, it's all good, I now know for next time!
I'm very sorry, truly. Although you are not allowed to buy an F30 you most certainly should be made to feel welcome. That ttd dude and I were having fun, didn't mean to make you collateral damage.

We live 20 minutes away from each other and when the wife and kids are asleep I joyride on 287 every night. Let me know if you want to meet up and I'll be happy to give you some seat time in the L328i.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 08-30-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
RF, Emission [Mod] used to complain that BJ frightened nubees so badly they never came back.

Mike's known to understate. BJ's a man with eloquent, rascally intent. Be creative....
Gracias for the damage control. You buying an F30 or what?

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 08-30-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
You buying an F30 or what?
Oooooooooo, don't you sweet-talk me boy! Worked long & hard to get my honey as good as she is - now a severely married man.

But E9x first came to us, 2006. 7 year itch could be distracting....if gorgeous M. or lovely Porsche comes around....
Old 08-31-2012, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: 04 330 zhp
Quote:
I'm very sorry, truly. Although you are not allowed to buy an F30 you most certainly should be made to feel welcome. That ttd dude and I were having fun, didn't mean to make you collateral damage.

We live 20 minutes away from each other and when the wife and kids are asleep I joyride on 287 every night. Let me know if you want to meet up and I'll be happy to give you some seat time in the L328i.

BJ
Thanks, that's very gracious of you and I may take you up on that. You might want to try the old, lame, small zhp if you haven't before!
Old 08-31-2012, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
don't mean to jump in this conversation but money is just that. A tool to get the next perfect thing. If you don't borrow and go into debt for it then its all good. Some people spend it on cars some on vacations and other on dancing lessons. Can't take it with you bud.
I agree it's a tool, but to "get the next perfect thing" is a pretty awful mindset as being the primary purpose of the tool.

and in terms of taking it with you, I think many people have found they could "take it with them" by setting up long term trusts, foundations, and many other things to carry out missions important to them after their death.

For example, if I were to buy and trade-in a new BMW 3-series every 2 years (which sometimes I long to do!) I'd spend about $75k in depreciation, taxes, and acquisition fees over a decade.

Let's say I put $50k of that into a small trust to award a scholarship of $2,500/year...

I guess we all have different ways of interpreting how money applies to "the next perfect thing"

Joe

P.s. I bought an 11 year old m-car, which means I paid a premium for a car and pay a premium to own and drive the car ALOT. And I spend money on lots of other things that are for personal satisfaction. So I get it....but I don't take pride in it either.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:10 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Everyone has a passion or hobby and I don't think that we should judge someone who wants to drive a new car every 3 years and can afford it. When talking about the wonders of extra money saved and the benefits of compounding interest, there's no end to the levels of frugality that one "should" go to in order to save their pennies.

After all, the "smart" person who makes six figures buys a very modest home which they pay off in 10-15 years, drives a much older low maintenance car, takes humble vacations and has a huge nest egg with which to retire at a nice early age.

The flip side is that you can step off of a curb and get creamed by a city bus, so if something makes you happy, and you can reasonably afford it, you should just go and do it.

I have a friend who does very well and his wife does well too (both MBAs). They live in a modest home and drive econoboxes (he drives a Honda Fit and she drives a FWD Honda CRV). So where does the money go? They have a strict budget that includes socking away 10's of thousands of dollars so that their kids can go to the very best private schools (now and in the future). Does that make them happy? I don't know, I just know that he seems to be constantly jealous of the toys I have.

Last edited by voip-ninja; 08-31-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
I already have a toy sized BMW for fun/nice weather.

I always felt the E90 was about 10% undersized for my needs.

The F30 is just right. I am coming from my '09 CC which was my DD for 3+ years and the F30 is shorter and a fair bit narrower. That combining with the N20 which is a good replacement for the 2.0TSI I had and this car was exactly what I had in mind for a replacement.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 08-31-2012, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
I already have a toy sized BMW for fun/nice weather.

I always felt the E90 was about 10% undersized for my needs.

The F30 is just right. I am coming from my '09 CC which was my DD for 3+ years and the F30 is shorter and a fair bit narrower. That combining with the N20 which is a good replacement for the 2.0TSI I had and this car was exactly what I had in mind for a replacement.
Many cars are growing in size of late. The new VW Jetta is about the same size as the previous model Passat.

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet; '11 BMW E93 335is; '08 BMW E60 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget
Old 08-31-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
I agree it's a tool, but to "get the next perfect thing" is a pretty awful mindset as being the primary purpose of the tool.

and in terms of taking it with you, I think many people have found they could "take it with them" by setting up long term trusts, foundations, and many other things to carry out missions important to them after their death.

For example, if I were to buy and trade-in a new BMW 3-series every 2 years (which sometimes I long to do!) I'd spend about $75k in depreciation, taxes, and acquisition fees over a decade.

Let's say I put $50k of that into a small trust to award a scholarship of $2,500/year...

I guess we all have different ways of interpreting how money applies to "the next perfect thing"

Joe

P.s. I bought an 11 year old m-car, which means I paid a premium for a car and pay a premium to own and drive the car ALOT. And I spend money on lots of other things that are for personal satisfaction. So I get it....but I don't take pride in it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
Everyone has a passion or hobby and I don't think that we should judge someone who wants to drive a new car every 3 years and can afford it. When talking about the wonders of extra money saved and the benefits of compounding interest, there's no end to the levels of frugality that one "should" go to in order to save their pennies.

After all, the "smart" person who makes six figures buys a very modest home which they pay off in 10-15 years, drives a much older low maintenance car, takes humble vacations and has a huge nest egg with which to retire at a nice early age.

The flip side is that you can step off of a curb and get creamed by a city bus, so if something makes you happy, and you can reasonably afford it, you should just go and do it.

I have a friend who does very well and his wife does well too (both MBAs). They live in a modest home and drive econoboxes (he drives a Honda Fit and she drives a FWD Honda CRV). So where does the money go? They have a strict budget that includes socking away 10's of thousands of dollars so that their kids can go to the very best private schools (now and in the future). Does that make them happy? I don't know, I just know that he seems to be constantly jealous of the toys I have.
Exactly.

A pack-a-day smoker spends $4,380 a year or $365 a month killing themselves.

A dog owner spends $38,905 over a 14 year lifespan or $232 a month as a slave to a smelly beast.

That's $597 a month I don't spend which makes me $58 to the plus after the monthly lease outlay on my indulgent L328i. Go after smoking dog owners, leave the BMW drivers alone.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 08-31-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:

Joe

What you described above is another way to use the tool called money. Its not difference than people spending money for cars or larger houses. yes I understand your money actually may do go in such a trust but what makes you think some of us don't have trusts setup?

I have been leasing BMWs for my wife and I now for close to 10 years, this will be our 6th leased BMW. We only bought one outright back in 2003. I enjoy driving a new car every 1.5 years (one for her and one for me, it has worked out we get a new car every 1.5 years). To you its a waste, to me is something I enjoy doing. I have worked hard to reach my financial independence and spending 75K or whatever it is over a decade is not that big of a deal to me or to many other folks that lease these type of cars.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Hey many people went heavily into debt to buy several houses during the boom time, only to see the housing value evaporate.

Yet among them, some managed to live in the house payment free while it went through foreclosure. By the time they were forced out of the house, they saved enough cash to buy the house next door for cheap, and debt free.

It is not about having debt or not, it is about how you play with it.

When it comes to leasing a car, it is all about how good the lease deal is. If you can lease a $50k car for $500 a month with no money down, consider all the benefits come with having a brand new car every few years:

No maintenance cost
No repair cost
Less time wasted for repairs
Always drive the safest model
Always drive the most advanced model
Likely spend less on fuel
Always look and feel good

If you add all of the above, I am sure it is worth it for many.

Last edited by dtc100; 08-31-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
What you described above is another way to use the tool called money. Its not difference than people spending money for cars or larger houses. yes I understand your money actually may do go in such a trust but what makes you think some of us don't have trusts setup?

I have been leasing BMWs for my wife and I now for close to 10 years, this will be our 6th leased BMW. We only bought one outright back in 2003. I enjoy driving a new car every 1.5 years (one for her and one for me, it has worked out we get a new car every 1.5 years). To you its a waste, to me is something I enjoy doing. I have worked hard to reach my financial independence and spending 75K or whatever it is over a decade is not that big of a deal to me or to many other folks that lease these type of cars.
The arrogance of these used car owners is particularly grating because they call us arrogant for flaunting our wealth. We're somehow the douch***** for doing what we want with our money and they're 'noble gentlemen' and feel they have the right to lecture us.

Let him shoot the dog and stop smoking. Then he can shove his "you leasers of new cars waste money" rhetoric down our throats.

BJ

Old 08-31-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
The arrogance of these used car owners is particularly grating because they call us arrogant for flaunting our wealth. We're somehow the douch***** for doing what we want with our money and they're 'noble gentlemen' and feel they have the right to lecture us.

Let him shoot the dog and stop smoking. Then he can shove his "you leasers of new cars waste money" rhetoric down our throats.

BJ
Isn't your car used now as well?

Current Stablemates:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget
Old 08-31-2012, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 04 330 zhp
Hey, what does any of this have to do with whether or not I'm allowed to buy an F30?

And what are you doing actually quantifying how much that damn pure bred toy dog that was forced down my throat is actually costing me?
Old 08-31-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
Isn't your car used now as well?
My car isn't even a month old, won't look out-of-style until the refresh in 2016 at which point my lease is up.

The poster in question is driving a 12 year old M5 which may get him some cred in the used car forums but not here. He's misinformed and lecturing to an audience he doesn't like, don't know why he's here other than to cause trouble.

/rant

BJ

Old 08-31-2012, 08:56 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Hey many people went heavily into debt to buy several houses during the boom time, only to see the housing value evaporate.

Yet among them, some managed to live in the house payment free while it went through foreclosure. By the time they were forced out of the house, they saved enough cash to buy the house next door for cheap, and debt free.

It is not about having debt or not, it is about how you play with it.

When it comes to leasing a car, it is all about how good the lease deal is. If you can lease a $50k car for $500 a month with no money down, consider all the benefits come with having a brand new car every few years:

No maintenance cost
No repair cost
Less time wasted for repairs
Always drive the safest model
Always drive the most advanced model
Likely spend less on fuel
Always look and feel good

If you add all of the above, I am sure it is worth it for many.
With "no money down" it would be hard to get a 50K 3 series for $500, if not impossible. If you make 7 MSDs, etc, you can get close to that number. In any event it's splitting hairs and for the most part I agree with you.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Hey, what does any of this have to do with whether or not I'm allowed to buy an F30?

And what are you doing actually quantifying how much that damn pure bred toy dog that was forced down my throat is actually costing me?
LOL.

Back to your questions, are you intending to test drive the M-Sport with the firmest settings or have you given up the F30 quest entirely?

BJ

Old 08-31-2012, 09:11 AM

BJ,

My car is quieter, smoother riding, has more interior room, handles better, and goes faster than yours - and it's fully depreciated while carrying a luxury badge anyone looks at and says "This guy has money" even though I spent half as much on procuring it as someone who buys a base ford explorer. And for those not in the car ignorati - it's pretty easy to know that a leased automatic 328i carries far less cachet than a classic M car.

Does that stick in your craw?

To all, my commentary on money is purely a response to BJ's comment on finding the "perfect car" - he just refuted his own statement by admitting that his "perfect car" is slated for replacement. My monetary comment was simply on the pursuit of such perfection being fairly meaningless and mostly driven by other peoples opinions rather than your own.

I simply enjoy pointing out his intra-thread self-deluded fallacies and over-statements. And, ironically, I enjoy some of his posts
Old 08-31-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:

What does this thread have to do with whether or n ot your allowd to buy an f30? Isn't this thread about the size of the f30 - which is a completely personal and subjective opinion anyway?

Did you answer my question about checking out other brands?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
My car isn't even a month old, won't look out-of-style until the refresh in 2016 at which point my lease is up.

The poster in question is driving a 12 year old M5 which may get him some cred in the used car forums but not here. He's misinformed and lecturing to an audience he doesn't like, don't know why he's here other than to cause trouble.

/rant

BJ
I agree...it's time that he moves up the food chain or move on. I didn't even know that they made M5s 12 years ago!

Current Stablemates:
Old 08-31-2012, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
Saving money can be an unhealthy obsession just like cars. People are prone to obsessive behavior, and to justifying it.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
My car is quieter, smoother riding, has more interior room, handles better, and goes faster than yours - and it's fully depreciated while carrying a luxury badge anyone looks at and says "This guy has money" even though I spent half as much on procuring it as someone who buys a base ford explorer. And for those not in the car ignorati - it's pretty easy to know that a leased automatic 328i carries far less cachet than a classic M car.
Are you, sir, an attorney or of their ilk?

Those familiar with West Chester might ask the same.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
BJ,

All if which is code for "I drive a used status symbol".

It's fine, enjoy yourself, drive around in your used car like its special. I'd probably do the same thing if I couldn't afford a new car.

BJ

Old 08-31-2012, 10:17 AM

You are driving a used status symbol BJ, I'm sorry to say. And besides, your car came out over a year ago. I mean, c'mon, that's so OLD....

By the way, how are you enjoying your leather upper AND lower dash? Leather lined center console? How about your alcantara headliner? Are your seats at least quilted in hand stitching?

Oh wait....only I enjoy those things

calwaterboy - Nope. I was going to make a joke about those familiar with san francisco, but there were simply too many to choose from...all kidding aside, one of my favorite places to visit.