Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:17 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhbhaat View Post
Is this really what people are asking/expecting? I suppose every local market is different, but...
No, no one is asking for BMW to turn back the hands of time to 1998 and give us smaller, louder, underpowered, and underfeatured cars except for owners of the E46 who can't let go.

There are more E46's out there in the wild than there are F30's by a ratio eclipsing 250,000:1 so I don't know what they're unhappy about. Instead of crying about how BMW won't build them another E46, just open the classifieds and buy one. Buy three of 'em. They already exist.

It's really strange how people can so passionately and violently wish for something that's easy to get and already exists. "I hate Haagen Dazs! They don't understand that I want vanilla ice cream on a cone!"

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 09-01-2012, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Guy walks into a bar, says "Hey, I own an old BMW, is the new BMW too big?"

Bartender says "I can't afford one, you spoiled assholes act like a bunch of little girls."

BJ

Best post ever! Thanks B.J.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
Nothing personal nor subjective about it. As the owner of an E46 convert and a member of the dwindling fraternity of true BMW purists, the F30 is TOO BIG. It's a fact, accept it, and nobody gets hurt
Thats what she said and afterwards loved every inch of it.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Alpine White MT 328i
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
Thats what she said and afterwards loved every inch of it.
+1

Old 09-01-2012, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
They're still around. This one is offered at $18.8.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=941221

That is beautiful!
Old 09-01-2012, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
Quote:
So let me get this straight:
  • More capacity.
  • More horsepower.
  • Tighter handling.
  • Superior acceleration.
  • Lighter agility.
  • Dramatically enhanced interior.
  • Cutting-edge technology.
  • Same price as it's always been.

Yeah, I can see why people can hate on the F30. LOL.

BJ
LOL at tighter handling, superior acceleration and lighter agility.

Last edited by LegendsNeverDie; 09-01-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post

Best post ever! Thanks B.J.
Any time, Michael.

Sometimes the pain and suffering related to driving a $50,000 luxury car is too much, even for me. Why me? Why did this have to befall me?

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 09-01-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendsNeverDie View Post
LOL at tighter handling, superior acceleration and lighter agility.
Compared to my E90 M-Sport, all of those statements are 100% true.

It almost feels like I'm driving a completely different, brand new car.

Because I am.

BJ

Old 09-01-2012, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
So let me get this straight:
  • More capacity.
  • More horsepower.
  • Tighter handling.
  • Superior acceleration.
  • Lighter agility.
  • Dramatically enhanced interior.
  • Cutting-edge technology.
  • Same price as it's always been.

Yeah, I can see why people can hate on the F30. LOL.

BJ
We can get all those things from an Audi or Lexus. What BMW always had was driver involvement and feel. We regret that they are ignoring those things in newer models.

I can't speak for everyone, but I spent a lot of money on my E46 cause it was a blast to drive, cause it was more involving to drive than all the competition. If I wanted something just fast and comfortable, I could buy Japanese, and if I just want Walmart shoppers to think I'm rich, I could buy an 8 year old 5 series.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
We can get all those things from an Audi or Lexus. What BMW always had was driver involvement and feel. We regret that they are ignoring those things in newer models.

I can't speak for everyone, but I spent a lot of money on my E46 cause it was a blast to drive, cause it was more involving to drive than all the competition. If I wanted something just fast and comfortable, I could buy Japanese, and if I just want Walmart shoppers to think I'm rich, I could buy an 8 year old 5 series.
Please stop calling it an "E46" as if that's something good.

You drive a 2004 3 Series, an 8 year old used car. It's totally cool, by the way, more power to you, but calling it an "E46" makes it seem like it's something more than it is. It's just an old BMW. It's not something we 2013 3 Series owners can relate to as it's been our mission in life to avoid having to drive an old car.

BJ

Old 09-01-2012, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
BJ - you bought a 35k car and overpaid on options to get it to 50k.

You drive a 35k car.

Let's just be clear. You were sucker enough to overpay for options in order to increase its final price by nearly 40%.

You could install a set of 10k rims and then Say you drive a 60k car, if that makes you feel better.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
No adjustable seats? It is true on the track the seat needs to be moved down to accommodate the helmet.
Seats won't change the fact the e90 has a lousy design with a high dash and high side sills/narrow side windows. F30 is just as bad. Hop in an e46 and dash and side windows are low giving you a view of everything. It's like being in a purpose built race car. Get in an e90/f30 and it's got very Buick-y combo of high dash/sills. No amount of seat travel can compensate for a poor design. I won't even get into the all the interior flaws of the e9x/F3x cars but when I'm in my bro-in-law's e46 it's like getting back into a proper BMW.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
People always think their **** is worth gold. My ZHP is worth $12k. I could ask $20k for it, but nobody will buy it.
Depends on the area, Chris. In San Diego a guy was asking 18k for his 2003 ZHP. It had over 80k miles and needed about 2k in maintenance done (water pump as an absolute must). He wouldn't take 16k for it in March. He sold it in April for 15.5 (still annoyed he didn't call me back).
Old 09-01-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
BJ - you bought a 35k car and overpaid on options to get it to 50k.

You drive a 35k car.

Let's just be clear. You were sucker enough to overpay for options in order to increase its final price by nearly 40%.

You could install a set of 10k rims and then Say you drive a 60k car, if that makes you feel better.
No, I bought a $55,000 car and removed a few options to bring it down to $49,000. The F30 is designed as a fully loaded luxury car and BMW smartly allows it to be deconstructed for those on a budget.

You keep trying to pick a fight, so fine, let's fight. I'm not the one with the identity crisis. You decided to buck conventional wisdom and purchase a 12 year old used car. And, I might add, the one BMW that has never made any sense. Let's take the larger body, the heavier chassis, the spacious cabin and turn it into a pretend sportscar to take the midlife crisis Corvette customer head-on. Yeah, okay.

Respectfully, you like your car and I like mine. We're not going to agree here. Why not go back to the 2001 5 Series subforum and allow the other used car people to drown you in praise for your 'awesome' antique ride? Why stick your nose in here when you a) like bloated cars, b) like used cars, and c) dislike the F30?

BJ

Old 09-01-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post

Hop in an e46 and dash and side windows are low giving you a view of everything. It's like being in a purpose built race car.
Please God, make them stop.

The E46 was a German luxury sedan designed for the on-the-way-up-yuppie at the very apex of the Clinton and dotcom era. "Purpose built race car"? Love you brkf, but these used car people are getting to you.

BJ

Old 09-01-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:

You drive a 2004 3 Series, an 8 year old used car. It's totally cool, by the way, more power to you, but calling it an "E46" makes it seem like it's something more than it is. It's just an old BMW. It's not something we 2013 3 Series owners can relate to as it's been our mission in life to avoid having to drive an old car.

BJ
It's a lot faster to type "E46" than "8 year old 3 series". I'm different from you, that's all - to me, old BMWs are like a gold mine, I wish I could own more of them, M cars in particular. New 328s are what the dealer gives me when I take my car in for service. They're super nice, and my wife loves them, but I don't find them as fun as my old car. If they were, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Please God, make them stop.

The E46 was a German luxury sedan designed for the on-the-way-up-yuppie at the very apex of the Clinton and dotcom era. "Purpose built race car"? Love you brkf, but these used car people are getting to you.

BJ
He's prone to exaggeration. My E46 doesn't feel like a race car, or even a track car. It's too refined.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:42 PM
it has arrived!

Mein Auto: 2013 bmw 328i xdrive seda
Quote:

BJ
Lmao. . Yah .. Dhat vaz a good von.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:47 PM
it has arrived!

Mein Auto: 2013 bmw 328i xdrive seda
Quote:
It's a lot faster to type "E46" than "8 year old 3 series". I'm different from you, that's all - to me, old BMWs are like a gold mine, I wish I could own more of them, M cars in particular. New 328s are what the dealer gives me when I take my car in for service. They're super nice, and my wife loves them, but I don't find them as fun as my old car. If they were, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
I'm remember when I though my 85 Olds cutlass supreme was the joint too.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

Audi....BMW....Lexus....

Why is it, do you suppose, nobody cares to mention Porsche? Even a 911's in range coming off lease.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 09-01-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykatie View Post
I'm remember when I though my 85 Olds cutlass supreme was the joint too.
That just means you have bad taste. I never would have thought that.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Audi....BMW....Lexus....

Why is it, do you suppose, nobody cares to mention Porsche? Even a 911's in range coming off lease.

I didn't mention Porsche for the same reason I didn't mention an M3, we're talking about sedans.

But it's one reason I balk at spending $55k on a 335i, cause to blow that kind of money on a car, I want it to be more than nice, it has to get the blood flowing in my extremities. Even my ZHP is borderline in that department. It's no M3.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Oh, my. I guess this happens when you want to appeal to everybody - a lot of everybodys ain't gonna be happy

In all seriousness (and to BJ's disdain), I still dream about that E21 323i I spotted as a young adult on the street and it floored me. If a guy came by driving one TODAY and asked me if I wanted the keys for a spin ... I would probably say "No, thank you, sir. Appreciate the offer". Some things are best left to imagination. Why spoil the dream. Same with going on a date now with a chick I lusted after when I was 18 - no, thank you.

Now, E46 is a different story. Some guys actually did have a go at it (even if they were unsuccessful with prom queen back in the day ) and memories are still fresh. And still deceiving nonetheless.

I'm afraid BJ is correct - the F30 is probably the best 3 series BMW ever produced. But that doesn't mean I will buy one. I might buy next 1 series or a Cayman or an BRZ. For THAT purpose. For the OTHER purpose, I might get F30 320d but that doesn't really make all that much sense, so I might stick with VW and their MT diesel as a daily driver.

No need to get panties in a bunch. As they say, first world problems - and we are damn lucky to have them

EDIT: if it wasn't clear from the 5 paragraphs above, I don't happen to think that run-of-the-mill 3 series was EVER a daily driver AND track tool, no matter ZHP or ZSP or ZMP that it came equipped with. Now, ///M might be a different story. But that's not what we are talking about.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .

Last edited by Mark K; 09-01-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
No, I bought a $55,000 car and removed a few options to bring it down to $49,000. The F30 is designed as a fully loaded luxury car and BMW smartly allows it to be deconstructed for those on a budget.

You keep trying to pick a fight, so fine, let's fight. I'm not the one with the identity crisis. You decided to buck conventional wisdom and purchase a 12 year old used car. And, I might add, the one BMW that has never made any sense. Let's take the larger body, the heavier chassis, the spacious cabin and turn it into a pretend sportscar to take the midlife crisis Corvette customer head-on. Yeah, okay.

Respectfully, you like your car and I like mine. We're not going to agree here. Why not go back to the 2001 5 Series subforum and allow the other used car people to drown you in praise for your 'awesome' antique ride? Why stick your nose in here when you a) like bloated cars, b) like used cars, and c) dislike the F30?

BJ
Is it possible to get a 328i up to 55k?

BJ just because you got a luxury model F30 it doesn't mean that the Sport Line adaptive suspension equipped F30 (especially the 335i) is not a sports sedan that you can take to the track and have a lot of fun with. Hell forget the track, I wish I had the 335i in Greece a few days ago when on the coastal road in an Audi A3 I had trouble keeping up with Fiat Puntos. Hell I would be driving that road at least once a week for fun with all the twists it has.

So its time for you to stop BSing yourself that you bought a luxury car. If you wanted a luxury car get a MB or a Jaguar.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.

Last edited by windsor027; 09-01-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
EDIT: if it wasn't clear from the 5 paragraphs above, I don't happen to think that run-of-the-mill 3 series was EVER a daily driver AND track tool, no matter ZHP or ZSP or ZMP that it came equipped with. Now, ///M might be a different story. But that's not what we are talking about.
I think the E30 and E36 325i's were pretty good track cars stock or close to stock, (I tracked my E36) but agree on the E46 and onward. If they were, BMW wouldn't move a 10th as many as they do now.