Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: '10 535i GT
Tint - FormulaOne Pinnacle and Llumar Air Blue 80

Hey Gents,

I am having the GT tinted up on Friday. I'll post up the before after pictures soon.

Windshield - FormulaOne/Llumar Air Blue 80
Side Windows - FormulaOne Pinnacle 30%
Rear Window - 30% or 15%

I would like to go with the darker option (15%) on the back window but I am a bit nervous about night visibility out the back when in dark places like an unlit parking lot. I'll probably end up with the 30%. Any opinions?

FYI, these side and rear window percentages are all legal in my state. Technically, a clear film for the windshield is now legal in Texas, although the Air Blue 80% isn't exactly "clear," hence the name "80." That is an iffy call but that has resulted in some hassling of my installers customers but nothing that hasn't been cleared up after a little headache.

Last edited by Mammalian04; 06-26-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Type of tint and why?

As I see it, there are a couple of reasons to tint vehicle windows: reduce heat and UV, or to provide more privacy. I suppose, there may be some that just like the look, too.

I'm wondering what most people do it for...I'd prefer only the reduced heat and UV (glare helps, too). I really don't need to hide my passengers (since most, all? state limit the tint on the front). Plus, I really don't want to decrease visiblility out which is critical at dusk when people may not have their lights on yet, or the vehicle .

You don't have to have a dark tint to limit the heat and UV or limit glare.

Anyway, not to throw a wrench or hijack this thread, but was curious. I've got an appointment tomorrow with a shop that, among others, sells 3M automotive tints. Their crystal ceramic line stops more UV and IR at almost clear than some of the really dark tints from others, and, they're transparant to RF so they don't affect cellphone or gps (if you're using one inside, like maybe your phone) reception, either as most of the metalic ones do. The dye based stuff is getting more stable, but it tends to change color as it ages; some, much more than others. What might start out a nice grey or silver can take on a purple hue as it ages.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:16 PM

I appreciate the input jadnashuanh. I hear your points and am aware of the "tech specs" for the brands. I think Llumar's FormulaOne sister company makes a good product with their Pinnacle line. The other big contender for me was SolarGard's top of the line tint. My reasoning was that it was another "good" tint and that is what the other local installer, with a good reputation, uses. I decided to go with the FormulaOne Pinnacle because heat rejection was my primary concern and the manufacturer rating (according to themselves) was blocked the greatest amount of heat.

My post was really about how dark to go and what thoughts were on visibility. For what it's worth, my car is grey with a black interior, which tends to make tint look darker. It also tends to burn the hell out of you when you sit on it too though! The back of my legs and my hands are burning just thinking about it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B10-1115 001.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	330766   Click image for larger version

Name:	B10-1115 009.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	330767   Click image for larger version

Name:	B10-1115 012.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	330768  
Old 06-27-2012, 12:22 PM

I'm waiting for them to call that my car's done...had the 3M crystalline material installed. The dye based stuff is much more stable than it used to be, but the crystalline stuff doesn't use dyes. The 3m stuff has something like 200 layers of material on it. Not that many certified installers around...hoping it turns out great. NYS law (I don't live there, but am actually here now) has anything greater than a 70% as illegal and you'll get stopped and hasseled. I should be okay with what I have and will be giving it a workout in the next week as I have to drive about 1500 miles and it's supposed to be pretty warm along the way.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Bayerische Motoren Werke

Mein Auto: '14 X5 50/ '10 Golf TDI
In NJ not legal to tint front sides or windshield. For what it's worth, I did 20% metallic tint on rear sides and hatch. Ive already made 2 long trips with all night driving and no issues with interfence or reduced visibility during night driving. My GT is Black Sapphire/Cinnamon Brown.

The shop did a great job and the 20% looks perfect for me. I have the rear sunshades and when down combined with the tint it completely blocks out the sun. But I am a little bit disappointed by the amount of heat/sun that is still getting through the rear hatch. Heat reduction not privacy is my main concern as I carry my dog around back there and the hatch window generates a ton of heat.

I should of researched a bit more on brands, ceramic vs metallic, etc. to make a more informed decision as reduced sun/heat penetration was my main goal. But overall it is a major improvement.

Gone but not forgotten:
2012 550I xDrive GT
2009 X5 35d
2007 335i European Delivery with Performance Center Re-Delivery * ED May 4, 2007 Link to ED Trip Report / PCD July 5th, 2007 Link to Performance Center Re-Delivery Trip Report
2007 X3 European Delivery with Performance Center Re-Delivery
2002 330ci, 1997 328i, 1990 325i

Last edited by The BoatMan; 06-29-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:33 PM

I've only had mine a few days, but drove about 500-miles in 98-degree weather - the reduction in heat coming in was significant. It has proven to be considerably cooler after sitting in that hot sun, so as of now, I'm pleased. The 3M stuff costs about 40% more than their non-ceramic line (either the dye-based or metalic - they make all three). It also blocks essentially all UV-A and UV-B (the glass does a good job of that, but in combination with this film, it's about as close to 100% you'll get with a transparant material). It's the only one certified by the American Cancer Society. The thing I especially like is that it does this while looking almost like stock (no tint). The stuff is available with a lower visible light transmission, but the IR load doesn't change much.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i GT; 1976 2002
Has anyone considered - or looked into tinting the moonroof? All that glass must be generating significant amounts of heat.

My Imperial Blue GT is the first car I have owned in a dark color - and I want to try to reduce the heat generated inside the car as it sits parked in the sun.

Since I cannot do anything about the color, I figure tint is the only action I can take.....
Old 06-30-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchewbaka View Post
Has anyone considered - or looked into tinting the moonroof? All that glass must be generating significant amounts of heat.

My Imperial Blue GT is the first car I have owned in a dark color - and I want to try to reduce the heat generated inside the car as it sits parked in the sun.

Since I cannot do anything about the color, I figure tint is the only action I can take.....
Yep! We did 30% on the sides, air blue 80% on the windshield, and 15% on the rear window and both sunroof windows.

The car went straight into Austin BMW for service after that but I'll have pictures on Monday.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: Fast
Austin

Where in Austin did you have the tint done?

And if you don't mind sharing, what was the cost?

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: 535i GT
Solar Adaptive Transition Film?

Anyone heard of this new transition tint? There is a local shop in Houston that has it and they say it goes from 35% in the daylight and lightens by 10% to 45% at night. Seems like a neat idea but its pricey - about 30% more than ceramic.

FWIW
DLM
Old 07-03-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
Where in Austin did you have the tint done?

And if you don't mind sharing, what was the cost?

Thanks!
Had it done by Sunbusters off of 183 and Duval. We got a two vehicle discount. Crew cab pickup and the GT all wrapped in tint for $1040. We didnt do the sunroof on the truck though. Would have been another 45 bucks with the multi car discount if we had.

Both vehicles used Formula One Pinnacle all around and Formula One Air Blue 80 on the windshields.

I am not crazy about the cut for stickers on the windshields. It is a little crooked. I will go back next week and see if they can cut a little more out to make it a straight line. Everything else seems ok but I am still waiting for the bubbles and tiny to dry completely before cleaning and looking for imperfections.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: '09 535i GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammalian04 View Post
The car went straight into Austin BMW for service after that but I'll have pictures on Monday.
in the meantime, did you take some pictures from your car? what is your experience with the Llumar Air Blue 80? any limitations regarding transparency?

535i GT
Old 08-29-2012, 07:14 AM

Sorry! I dropped the ball on photos. I'll take some today.

The Llumar Air 80 has been great. My only issue is that the registration and inspection sticker cutout is obvious. Though as others have said, you forget it is there after 20 minutes or so (unless you look at it of course). Just make sure they cut the cutout straight. It is straight on the GT but they have a little wave in the cutout on my truck. It bothers me but not enough to take it back in.

No issues with transparency in the daytime or night. We can see fine and and there is no noticeable wave or fuzziness that I have picked up on. Of course, the rainbow issue is there with polarized glasses but that is a trade-off we knowingly made.

Overall, the car is still hot as hell after baking the black interior in the Texas sun but it is a lot more bearable that it was. I can actually get in it to start the AC whereas before I would open a couple doors for 20 seconds first.

On a side note, does anyone else find that the AC to takes an abnormally long time to start blowing cool air? My truck is blowing cool air in about 3-4 seconds. The GT seems to take at least 10 seconds or more.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: Fast
After some time with the tint, how are you liking the Formula One Pinnacle? Also, what percentage did you go and are you able to post pics?