Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 04-22-2007, 02:36 PM
b_rashed

Mein Auto: 2009 750li
Whats SMG exactly?

Hey guys i have a 98 528i but am looking to be getting a 2001-2003 m3 smg. but my question is whats smg. i have heard that its automatic with the manuel. when i say automatic i mean like driving my 528, no shifting required. can anybody fill me in. i wanted to know if smg is kinda equal to automatic but u also get the manuel with it. thanks guys.

Vehicles
2009 BMW 750LI (current)
2006 BMW 650I Convertible Sold- Dinan Stage 3, Full Throttle Body, Carbon Fiber Dual Intake, M6 Kit, LCI headlights and tailights, H&R lowering springs, 19" M6 wheels, custom magnaflow exhaust
1998 528I sold- hamann lip kit, euro headlights, custom exhaust
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2007, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: 04 M3 SMG
Not trying to sound rude, but before someone flames you for your question do a search here for SMG. Also you can google it and come up with some pretty in depth info on how it works. SMG is not an Automatic, it's a manual trans without a clutch pedal in the cab. clutching is controlled by the computer, you have different settings you can pick from to suit your driving pleasures. It does have a "D" drivelogic mode that allows the OBC to control the shifts, however it does get a little goofy at times. If not careful, it'll make you look like a total NOOb trying to drive a stick. In "S" mode(or "A". I'm going to start something here.) you control the shift either by the paddles on the steering wheel or by the stick on the console. There are different settings for both modes 1 thru 5 attainable in both or a S6 mode (manual shift only) with the DSC turned off. The difference being in 1 it shifts very smooth, almost to the point of boring(but it's an M, never boring.) and in 6 it will shift so fast gear to gear that you can pin your passangers head to the headrest.
I know I didn't go into full detail on the SMG but I hope this will help clear some stuff up for you. Happy hunting.
Jeff

Is your name Mater too?????
Old 04-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Dragon Slayer

Mein Auto: 2004 M3
Definitely not a manual. I came from steptronic and it's a whole different beast.

2004 ///M3 - Carbon Black/Cinnamon
Follow me on Twitter: @mnjames
Old 04-22-2007, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjames View Post
Definitely not a manual. I came from steptronic and it's a whole different beast.
Wrong.

It is a manual (that's the M in SMG), only without a clutch pedal.
The difference is that you use the paddles behind the steering wheel to shift. And you can only shift sequentially (from 2 to 3, 3 to 4, etc. No 2 to 4. That's the S in SMG).
Once the computer detects that you pushed the paddle, the clutch is activated hydraulically and the gear is shifted automatically for you. Because a computer serves as the "middle man", it's very natural to also offer a fully automated mode, where the computer takes over the entire operation and determines where and when to shift (much like how the Steptronic works). Perhaps this is what causes the misunderstanding. SMG is not an automatic transmission. There's no torque converter, like in the steptronic, so shifts are not as smooth. There is, however, a real clutch, like in the manual, but shifts happen faster and smoother than when operated by a typical human driver (the computer mimics an expert shifter, complete with rev matching and all).
- Frank Rizzo

Last edited by Boile; 04-22-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to razzy530
Mein Auto: 2007 530i 6 Speed
its a TRUE CLUTCHLESS Manual transmission. there are no other words to describe it OH? CAn you say FORMULA 1?

2007 E60 530i - Current
2002 E39 530i - RIP

BMWCCA MEMBER #397411

Last edited by razzy530; 04-22-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:23 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Okay, One More Time...

Electrohydraulic manual transmission or clutchless manual gear system is a manual transmission system that works similar to a manual transmission but operates the clutch automatically. To change gears, the driver selects the desired gear, and the system automatically operates the clutch and throttle to match revs and engage the clutch again. Depending on the implementation, some transmissions will automatically shift gears at the right points and others require the driver to manually select the gear even when the engine is at the redline. Also, many such transmissions operate in sequential mode where the driver can only upshift or downshift by one gear at a time. Despite superficial similarity, clutchless manual transmission differ significantly in internal operation and driver's 'feel' from manumatics, which are automatic transmissions (using torque converter instead of clutch to manage the link between the transmission and the wheels) with ability to signal shifts manually.

Mercedes-Benz have named their system Sequentronic and BMW refer to their system SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox; as used in the M3). The BMW SMG transmission has both automatic and manual shift modes. Inside the different modes there are different programs. The automatic programs range from A1 through A5, with the lower numbers representing slower and less agressive shifts. The manual shift mode ranges from S1 through S6, again with S1 for slower shifts and S6 for the quickest and most agressive shifts possible. Toyota also had a similar transmission on the MR2 Spyder, which is known as the Sequential Manual Transmission (SMT).

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Old 04-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Think of it as a manual transmission, except there's a mechanism that takes care of the clutch for you. Don't expect it to drive like an AT.

An automatic doesn't qualify in the above statement because, well, there's a torque converter, which isn't the case with SMG.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy530 View Post
its a TRUE CLUTCHLESS Manual transmission. there are no other words to describe it OH? CAn you say FORMULA 1?
Incorrect. It has a clutch, and the clutch is disengaged for every shift up and down. A true clutchless transmission only needs the clutch for the launch from a standstill. The SMG transmission in the M3 is essentially the same transmission as the manual, just with computer controlling the shift forks and clutch.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 04-22-2007, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Question

so we know what S for, what M for .... so what G is for then ????
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 04-22-2007, 11:16 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Jesus, Pay attention... S equential M anual G earbox!

This is the exact GETRAG 6 gearbox that is in the 3 pedal car.
This transmition is manual with a Hydraulically controled clutch.
It has a clutch, it has no clutch pedal.

Life is like a B Movie, you wouldn't want to sit through it twice, but you'd hate to leave it in the middle!
Old 04-23-2007, 04:58 AM

Mein Auto: 04 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbelton View Post
Electrohydraulic manual transmission or clutchless manual gear system is a manual transmission system that works similar to a manual transmission but operates the clutch automatically. To change gears, the driver selects the desired gear, and the system automatically operates the clutch and throttle to match revs and engage the clutch again. Depending on the implementation, some transmissions will automatically shift gears at the right points and others require the driver to manually select the gear even when the engine is at the redline. Also, many such transmissions operate in sequential mode where the driver can only upshift or downshift by one gear at a time. Despite superficial similarity, clutchless manual transmission differ significantly in internal operation and driver's 'feel' from manumatics, which are automatic transmissions (using torque converter instead of clutch to manage the link between the transmission and the wheels) with ability to signal shifts manually.

Mercedes-Benz have named their system Sequentronic and BMW refer to their system SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox; as used in the M3). The BMW SMG transmission has both automatic and manual shift modes. Inside the different modes there are different programs. The automatic programs range from A1 through A5, with the lower numbers representing slower and less agressive shifts. The manual shift mode ranges from S1 through S6, again with S1 for slower shifts and S6 for the quickest and most agressive shifts possible. Toyota also had a similar transmission on the MR2 Spyder, which is known as the Sequential Manual Transmission (SMT).

Had I had more time yesturday, I would have gone into more detail. But I wouldn't have been able to put it like you did. Great info, I feel like a school kid again.

Is your name Mater too?????
Old 04-23-2007, 05:03 AM
///M forum moderator

Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
The M stands for.....M. It does NOT stand for manual.

IIRC...the M stood for manual only on the original SMG on the E36 M3.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: '14 EB M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
The M stands for.....M. It does NOT stand for manual.

IIRC...the M stood for manual only on the original SMG on the E36 M3.
BMW is still calling it a Sequential Manual Gearbox:
http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/M/m6coupe/features.htm
2008 135i Alpine White Sport|NAV/iDrive|HDRadio|BT|Step (WAF) Traded in 9 Jun 2014.
2005 ///M3 Silver Gray PCD 25 May 2005 Traded in 26 Mar 2008.
1993 325i 5MT|H&R Sports|Bilstein HD|RD Sport Sways|Mille Miglia MM-IIs w/ 225/50-16 Bridgestone RE750s|UUC StrutBarbarian|JC Chip & CAI|M3 cat-back|UUC Clutch Stop Hit 9 Jun 2006. R.I.P. Donated to charity 5 Jul 2006.
Her:
2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L Silver Pearl
Old 04-23-2007, 11:48 AM
///M forum moderator

Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
Well then, they keep changing their mind. Lots of naming convention stuff when they tried to do a lesser sequential gearbox for non M cars a few years ago. They offered them in the US for a year or two then stopped. Not sure if they still sell them in the ROW or not? That gearbox was supposed to be called the SMG, then they changed it to the SSG (Sequential sport gearbox) to not confuse it with the SMG 2 on the E46 M3.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: '14 EB M235i
Yeah, I wish they had kept on calling the units in the non-Ms "SSG." When they decided to call those "SMG" also, you had lots of confusion on SMG I, SMG II, SMG in the Ms, SMG in the non-Ms, etc.
2008 135i Alpine White Sport|NAV/iDrive|HDRadio|BT|Step (WAF) Traded in 9 Jun 2014.
2005 ///M3 Silver Gray PCD 25 May 2005 Traded in 26 Mar 2008.
1993 325i 5MT|H&R Sports|Bilstein HD|RD Sport Sways|Mille Miglia MM-IIs w/ 225/50-16 Bridgestone RE750s|UUC StrutBarbarian|JC Chip & CAI|M3 cat-back|UUC Clutch Stop Hit 9 Jun 2006. R.I.P. Donated to charity 5 Jul 2006.
Her:
2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L Silver Pearl
Old 04-23-2007, 05:12 PM
Dragon Slayer

Mein Auto: 2004 M3
I just want to clarify I MEANT it is definitely not an automatic. Doh! It is a whole different beast than an auto, which I came from. Don't expect it to drive like an auto, it doesn't. However, I have no regrets leaving the world of auto transmissions.

2004 ///M3 - Carbon Black/Cinnamon
Follow me on Twitter: @mnjames
Old 08-30-2012, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 M3
my SMG shifts all by itself when the indicator says "S" and must be manually shifted when it says "A" . this appears to be backwards...drives great but what gives?
Old 08-31-2012, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bebop View Post
Jesus, Pay attention... S equential M anual G earbox!

This is the exact GETRAG 6 gearbox that is in the 3 pedal car.
This transmition is manual with a Hydraulically controled clutch.
It has a clutch, it has no clutch pedal.
This!

Think of SMG as the same manual transmission as the 6-speed manual M3, except a robot will do the clutch and actuate the gear for you when you tap a paddle. A lot faster than you could ever do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackbagger View Post
my SMG shifts all by itself when the indicator says "S" and must be manually shifted when it says "A" . this appears to be backwards...drives great but what gives?
See my answer on your other thread with the same question.

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon