Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 09-06-2012, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: MB ML500
E350 Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big W View Post
you can always go with the e350 stationwagon
+1
It's got your hatchback and 27 mpg hwy and a lot of interior capacity.
300+ HP
AWD
Seats 5 + 2 kids.
IMO, better looking than E350 Sedan.

Check it out.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
But doesn't have the higher driving position, nor the larger (higher) cargo area. Does have the two kid seat though. It is also a bit more expensive too! An X5 might be a better choice, and its available in diesel.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.5i M-Spt, VW GTI
A bit of an update....

It's looking like it will be between the X3 and an X5d. I really like GLK, but in the end it's just a bit too small. The E350 is still a long-shot. I really like the look of the car, and would really like to be back in a sedan. The sedan, however, just isn't practical enough and I don't like the look of the wagon. The Touraeg is also a possible choice. I think it a nice blend of the ML and X5. It has a nice ride and performance, but doesn't handle like the X5. It's not a likely choice, though, since it doesn't lease particularly well.

I am set to test drive the X5d this weekend. I am hoping it has the same type of punch as the VW, making it fun to drive. The added space over the X3 would be nice. The X5 will really need to impress, though, knowing its an older platform that will be replaced soon. While I not 100% sold on the looks of the X3, I like the ride and handling dynamics better than anything I have driven to date. I am still leaning towards the M Sport package plus Dynamic Handling. I am surprised that I have found a few X3 and 5 series ordered with the M Sport, but not the handling package. It makes it impossible to try it without ordering. Thanks again.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:08 AM

Good luck! You will probably like the X5d. It should have all the "punch" you are looking for -- decent mileage, and of course the third row if you need that. It also will be the best financial deal you can find. BMW has lots of deals going and wants to move their inventory. Check out the current X5 board here to get a feel for what is on offer. After you have done all that, go down to the Porsche store and try out a new Cayenne Diesel! You won't get any deals on it, but it is nice to know how one of these things should be done.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Guys, isn't BMW offering a diesel in the X3 for 2013/4 models in the USA?

macct, it may be worth waiting for that if you can. Just a thought.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.5i M-Spt, VW GTI
Decided

After a second round of test drives, I decided on a X3 3.5i M-Sport with Dynamic Handling. For me, it's the best compromise in terms of space requirements and performance. I was initially leaning towards the 2.8i, finding its performance more than adequate for the daily driver. I ultimately changed my mind, finding the 3.5i more refined and relaxed. My only remaining doubt pertains to the runflats. While I don't mind changing them out, I do mind the lack of space for a spare (did so with e60 & clubman, but they had room for a spare). It's a risk I willing to take, knowing I might compromise the storage area with the addition of a spare tire. Hopefully, the new X3 will be here in four weeks or so.

In terms of some other thoughts….

X5d - Enjoyed the engine performance, but I wonder if the clatter will be fatiguing. The ride quality was not great and it just wasn't as much fun to drive as the X3. It was too much of a compromise for the added space.

Touareg - Surprised I like it as much as I did. I found it nicer than the X5 or ML350, offering a better trade-off between handling and ride quality. VW's diesel engines are also impressive and I can see my next family car having a diesel engine. It was never a serious contender, though, because they lease so poorly. It was well above any of the other cars I was considering.

GLK - I still like it, but the back seat is just too tight for kids coming and going. It wasn't as engaging to drive as the X3, but notably nicer than my current Q5. Appearance wise I prefer it to the X3, especially the new interior design for 2013. I may have compromised on space if I knew the diesel would be out sooner. At this point, I don't want to wait until early next year, especially since dealers don't know if that means January or early Spring.

E350 - I still considered an E350. If kids were not a consideration, it would have been my choice. It's not a sporty and entertaining as the X3, but it's more comfortable and engaging than the new 5 series.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this thread. These forums have been a great help.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
macct... good luck with the car... I have a similarly equipped car and love it!
Old 09-20-2012, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X3 35i M-Sport
Good choice, macct - you'll love it.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Until BMW admits there is a problem with their transmissions in the X3, or offers a MT an X3 will always be my second choice.

The E83 had issues with the tranny and BMWNA would say it will be fixed in the next firmware update. 13 updates later I got a trade assist into a MT X3 because the VP of BMWNA said to me he couldnt guarantee a replacement would not do the same thing.

Me if I had to get an SAV and had time, I would get the Q5 TDI S version. I was told all drive by wire cars have that slight lag. Nope that is not true.

I would wait until I could drive the new Audi or MB.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 09-20-2012, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: 13 X3 35i MSport, 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Until BMW admits there is a problem with their transmissions in the X3, or offers a MT an X3 will always be my second choice.

The E83 had issues with the tranny and BMWNA would say it will be fixed in the next firmware update. 13 updates later I got a trade assist into a MT X3 because the VP of BMWNA said to me he couldnt guarantee a replacement would not do the same thing.

Me if I had to get an SAV and had time, I would get the Q5 TDI S version. I was told all drive by wire cars have that slight lag. Nope that is not true.

Hmm, I think the transmission shifts very smooth and I don't have any issues with it, and I drove the MB and the Audi before buying. I felt like the BMW tranny (made by the same company as many of the others) shifted faster too in sport mode. Almost felt like a DSG.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X3 35i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post

The F25 has the new ZF 8 speed transmission. Not the same gearbox as the E83. Mine is smooth and responsive, not laggy. There actually was a problem with lag in some F25 X3s initially; software update related to TSB B SI 24 02 12 fixes it. Note, I used to have a 2007 X3, and I know the lag you are talking about - at times it was downright dangerous. It was usually fine though, and I actually really liked the old one.

Last edited by nonagon; 09-21-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
I think the X3, GLK, and e350 do what they are designed for.
X3=soft roader, with more of a tendency for handling corners on road.
GLK = soft roader, but designed for comfort
e350= mid-size comfort luxury car to handle 5 adults in reasonable comfort

If your interested in carrying children and their gear, the e350 won't do you any favors. You would either need, the station wagon equivalent of the e or move into either the GLK or X3.

GLK vs X3

GLK is in the middle of its life cycle, and thus your looking at a redesign in about a couple, vs the X3 which was recently launched (2011 vs 2009). Also the infortaniment platform on the X is far advanced then the GLK (even with mbrace 2). However if those are unimportant issues, then the only thing that would determine a purchase, would be do you rather like comfort or driving characteristics.

EDIT: on second reading, I see the OP has chosen the X3 congrats. Not to sound tacky, but do you tune to the horsepower menu on the idrive when driving? LOL

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!

Last edited by NoI4plz; 09-26-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 325i (Sport Pkg)
We're looking at an SUV now to replace our E46 sedan. We want an AWD vehicle as we are avid skiers and drive in winter conditions almost every weekend. The SUV will also be more practical for us nowadays.

We are considering the 2013 GLK350 4-MATIC. The latest design, with the 20" AMG wheels, has grown on me. The 2013 GLK's interior has also been updated and it's very nicely finished. I also prefer the look of a dual exhaust, something that I hoped BMW would add to the X3. It would be also nice to have 20" wheels with the M-Sport package. (It looks like an expensive option in the US, so I can only image that it's a very expensive "accessory" here in Canada.)

We'll have to give them a good drive and thorough look inside and out, but the GLK is a serious contender. Audi is out altogether -- nothing really compelling about Audi, IMO.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Does the GLK still have the shifter on the column? I think BMW started it with the 7-series several years ago and MB seems to be using it on more of their vehicles. I just don't like have to raise my arm to much to shift.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:28 PM

Remember the GLK now has a diesel available here! The Audi Q5's diesel is coming later in the year -- but nothing firm from BMW about an X3 diesel except some vague references to "about MY14".