Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)

X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)
The newest sport activity vehicle from BMW is a crossover-coupe style and is expected to appear sometime in 2008!

Old 08-27-2012, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto: E60
Lightbulb Retrofit 2010-2012 iDrive into '09 E71

Hi all,

i have an '09 E71, i really like to retrofit the iDrive to be just like the 2012 on-ward ones.

If anyone knows where to get the parts, or who to be in-touch with, do let me know.

Thanks much.
Ads by Google
Old 08-28-2012, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
I believe you are looking at $3k to $4k in parts before labor to install. This is quite literally a computer buried in your dashboard and requires replacing the screen and several control modules. Replacing the screen is actually a good thing as the new one is bigger and higher resolution. This assumes you can find a compatible kit for our style car, or you are able to get all of the part numbers from a later model car and make them fit (probably wise to go with 2010 the first year of the new gen idrive in the X6). Then you need someone to code the whole car as the idrive it essentially the "brain." Going the later model part number route could be risky (riskier than attempting this in general). You could essentially 'brick' your car.

In idrive terminology you are looking at going from the CCC system to the CIC system.

Here is someone that did it on an E60: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...ation-log.html

and an M5: http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/08/07/co...-5-series-e60/

And finally a possible place to get the system: http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/portal/shop

That is about the extent of my knowledge. Try searching this forum, xoutpost and google in general for more information.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:16 AM

PS if it works, report back with some pictures.

One of the reasons i had some info at hand was my own curiosity in how feasible this was. I decided it wasn't a top priority given the price and risk. I making some other updates first...
Old 09-04-2012, 01:18 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgtexas View Post
PS if it works, report back with some pictures.

One of the reasons i had some info at hand was my own curiosity in how feasible this was. I decided it wasn't a top priority given the price and risk. I making some other updates first...
Most of our customers decide to install our CIC retrofit kits themselves so it's not really complicated but we also have installers across the USA including Dallas, TX
Phone (USA): (646) 439-7920 (7:00am - 3:00pm ET) :: info@bimmer-tech.net :: www.bimmer-tech.net
Installation facilities worldwide.

Follow us on
Old 09-10-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
Most of our customers decide to install our CIC retrofit kits themselves so it's not really complicated but we also have installers across the USA including Dallas, TX
You guys appear to supply good kit on the other side of the pond (in addition to having numerous installer here). If I were to buy it direct and go DIY, do I purchase through your site and go with the Euro to Dollar conversion? Looks like the kit is about 1800 (in euros) + activation, the four options are slightly confusing and appear additive rather than pick just one... If my X6 has just about everything, HUD, PDC, Backup Camera, Nav and Voice, i am unsure which of the four options I would select.

The total could be a little less than i was thinking if I went the DIY install route and i could do the PnP activation instead of the OEM.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:43 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgtexas View Post
You guys appear to supply good kit on the other side of the pond (in addition to having numerous installer here). If I were to buy it direct and go DIY, do I purchase through your site and go with the Euro to Dollar conversion? Looks like the kit is about 1800 (in euros) + activation, the four options are slightly confusing and appear additive rather than pick just one... If my X6 has just about everything, HUD, PDC, Backup Camera, Nav and Voice, i am unsure which of the four options I would select.

The total could be a little less than i was thinking if I went the DIY install route and i could do the PnP activation instead of the OEM.
You can change the currency to USD in our webshop.
If you send us your VIN by email I will let you know what options you should order, but if your car has the PDC and/or rear view camera you should choose the PnP Camera/PDC fix and the PnP Navigation/Voice Control activation.
Phone (USA): (646) 439-7920 (7:00am - 3:00pm ET) :: info@bimmer-tech.net :: www.bimmer-tech.net
Installation facilities worldwide.

Follow us on