Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-30-2012, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: Nothing At the moment
Question Should I get a E36?

Hey guys im new to the forum and i am looking to get a e36 318i that i found in craigslist. Its white beige interior with 175000 miles on it. It has a big dent on the door but the interior is in perfect condition. He was asking for $3000 but I lowered it to $2300 and I think i could still lower it down. But what i really liked a lot was that he replaced the catylitic converter and oxygen sensor recently and he said there is nothing wrong with the engine. Im new to bimmers so i have to say is it a good first car? Should I get the one i am talking about? Hows the reliability? Also it is a '95 5 speed

Here is the whole post
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/3231313032.html

Do you think its a buy or a no?

Thanks,
Ralph

Also He has never replaced the water pump

Last edited by Ralphalpha; 08-31-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 08-30-2012, 10:46 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Welcome to the fest!

Most of your questions will be answered here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=533803

That seems like a little too high price considering the body damage. I encourage you to get a pre-purchase inspection by a good independent BMW mechanic. You need to find out what other maintenance has been done, particularly if/when the cooling system was replaced (if ever). If it hasn't been replaced, it's WAY overdue.

The 1.8 liter four cylinder is a very dependable engine, as are almost all BMW mills. It isn't as fast in straight line acceleration as the six cylinders, but it will carve a turn as good as any of them. The 5-speed manual is a big plus. Many of the 318s were automatics (I have one ) which make the small engine seem even weaker. Manual shift is a lot more fun.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 08-30-2012, 11:23 PM

How much is a pre purchase inspection and what do you think i should pay for it? Also I checked KBB for price ranges on this type of car and they sell it way above KBB price in craigslist is that normal?
Old 08-30-2012, 11:23 PM
nothing.

Mein Auto: A dream
I do not think you should get a e36.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:46 PM

Why not
Old 08-31-2012, 12:49 AM
I6 feels good

Mein Auto: POS
You should get an e36....
Old 08-31-2012, 04:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '93 325i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphalpha View Post
How much is a pre purchase inspection and what do you think i should pay for it?
Depends on the shop. My shop does free multi point inspections, and I happen to be the only one in the shop that works on bimmers.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:04 AM
still learnin'

Mein Auto: 1998 328i / 99 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphalpha View Post
How much is a pre purchase inspection and what do you think i should pay for it? Also I checked KBB for price ranges on this type of car and they sell it way above KBB price in craigslist is that normal?
The PPI's run from $150 to $300 depending on the shop and what you have done.

Mine was $150, but it was just general look over and review of the car. The more you want checked, the higher the price will be.

I was looking at a different car a while back had a compression test to hunt for a mis-fire. The compression/leak down test ran me $300.... I didn't buy the car, as it sorta failed the leak down test (bent valve or blow by on the piston rings... either way I didn't care to find out and passed).
$300 was nothing compared the $1,500 it would have been to rebuild the top-end.

I loved my 318... but they are slow... like slow slow, not just slow. Think Bill Slowskie the turtle slow. but, loaded with FUN!

The market really drives the price. In New England (where I am), Verts will sell for top dollar, near dealer prices all day long in the summer. In the winter, good luck trying to give one away...

Best of luck
Old 08-31-2012, 06:31 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: A redhead E90
I think that's a pretty neat little 318, I'd have a pre purchase inspection first... if the seller really wants to sell he'll front the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
Drop the clutch, proceed and ain't care.
  • '06 325xi 6MT