Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:51 AM
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mein Auto: 335xi
Negotiating the deal

I'm curious to know if you first negotiated a price for your vehicle and then applied any incentives or did you include the incentives when negotiating?

I'll have the team drive event incentive of $1,000, the USAA incentive (assuming there will be one) of $1,000, and the app test drive of $300 for a total of $2,300. Should I be upfront about this or wait until I get their 'best' offer??

Thanks,
dr
Old 08-10-2012, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: N/A
If I was negotiating, I would not even mention the Drive for Team USA voucher, until you have the final number down in writing. That voucher comes from BMW NA does not impact their bottom line. So, throwing it out there is compromising your own position. They will be less inclined to offer you incentive. Same applies for app test and college graduate etc. Those are applied only if you finance/lease your car through BMW Financials. If you throw those out before the Finance guy has an opportunity to quote you the numbers(APR, money factor, etc.), they will be more inclined to start higher as you are already on the hook. I would wait for the BMW finance guy to quote me numbers and negotiate the best possible rate and then throw in the discounts at the end. It is easier said than done. You have to be careful though as to when you let them know about specific incentive. As a rule of thumb, I would suggest mentioning Team USA incentive after you have negotiated the best possible price on the car. The financing incentive (like apps offers, loyalty offers, college grad) should be mentioned only after you have negotiated best possible financing rates. Not sure how USAA incentive works. But, I guess it would be pretty similar.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 sDrive (on order)
USAA discount isn't valid on the X1. Or at least it doesn't appear to be. I can't even get pricing on the website to print out the certificate. I haven't used the program before so maybe I'm wrong
Old 08-11-2012, 06:38 AM
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mein Auto: 335xi
It's still too new. Give it a few more days and it'll appear...

Thanks,
dr
Old 08-11-2012, 09:15 AM

Yikes, I hope not. Just placed my order yesterday. I got what I felt was a good deal, but would hate to have left any money on the table!
Old 08-11-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1FirstBMW View Post
Yikes, I hope not. Just placed my order yesterday. I got what I felt was a good deal, but would hate to have left any money on the table!
Would you mind sharing what kind of deal you got? Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

Last edited by Talisker; 08-11-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Euro Car Aficionado

Mein Auto: 2013 E92 328i
So far around here the best I'm working out is 3% under MSRP. Everyone is using the excuse that it's "so new" and "so hot." We're also considering a Countryman S so maybe that'll cause our local BMW dealer to reconsider their position.
2014 328i Sedan
1984 Austin Mini Mayfair
1999 Ford F150
Old 08-12-2012, 05:53 AM

Mein Auto: E84, VW TDI, E36
So far it seems as if the incentives are a bust.

USAA Incentive - explicitly excludes the X1. See: http://www.atlantabmw.com/all-new-bm...es-program.htm

BMW Ultimate Drive phone app - only applies to EXISTING BMW Financial Services customers. After the download and install, the first screen is to enter your BMW FS account info. If it doesn't find one active, it says the $300 incentive does not apply (my app hangs at this point)

Team USA Drive Event $1000 - not valid for any ED purchases

Am I missing anything?
Old 08-12-2012, 07:43 AM

I paid $35,057. for a s Drive. Only upgrades were 18" wheels, Premium package, and satin roof rails. MSRP 36,895. They pumped up my trade-in about $350. I probably could have haggled another few hundred. I love the car enough to pay a little bit of a premium.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: X1
I'm buying my first BMW - the new X1 - and I negotiated 5.6% off sticker even though it's a new model etc. I was tough in the negotiations. Mine is on a boat and should be here early next week. I'm excited!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 x5 4.4, 2010 M3 conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBMW2012 View Post
I'm buying my first BMW - the new X1 - and I negotiated 5.6% off sticker even though it's a new model etc. I was tough in the negotiations. Mine is on a boat and should be here early next week. I'm excited!
Hi Dragon, congrats. which version did u get? and what configuration and how much was $ amount saving roughly.
thanks
Old 08-13-2012, 10:13 AM

I'm getting the 2013 X1 xdrive 2.8i - B38 Midnight Blue with Black Nevada Leather - Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Technology Pkg (enhanced Nav etc.), 18" wheels, roof rails, fineline wood trim, Sat Radio, BMW apps - $42,895 with destination charge - and net $40,500 (5.6% off full sticker).

The dealer tried to throw the kitchen sink at me (extended service contract, BMW Maintenance, tire and wheel, simoniz, ding shield, key replacement, lojack, and roadblock). Which would have increased the cost of my car by another $8,800. I am only doing the tire and wheel because everything I have read says its absolutely necessary because of the softness of these 18" wheels and rims and living in New England with the nightmare potholes. So that's the only one I'm doing at $1,149.

And I agree with several people who have posted on this site about the Midnight Blue color - I love it in person but I had to see it before I felt comfortable about it. That configuration dynamic on BMWUSA makes that color look teal or some crazy blue/green variant. It must be the lighting. I know metallic paint can do that for sure, but it threw me. I decided to go with Midnight Blue only AFTER I had seen it in person (I like it better than the Deep Sea Blue).

Last edited by DragonBMW2012; 08-13-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBMW2012 View Post
I'm getting the 2013 X1 xdrive 2.8i - B38 Midnight Blue with Black Nevada Leather - Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Technology Pkg (enhanced Nav etc.), 18" wheels, roof rails, fineline wood trim, Sat Radio, BMW apps - $42,895 with destination charge - and net $40,500 (5.6% off full sticker).

The dealer tried to throw the kitchen sink at me (extended service contract, BMW Maintenance, tire and wheel, simoniz, ding shield, key replacement, lojack, and roadblock). Which would have increased the cost of my car by another $8,800. I am only doing the tire and wheel because everything I have read says its absolutely necessary because of the softness of these 18" wheels and rims and living in New England with the nightmare potholes. So that's the only one I'm doing at $1,149.

And I agree with several people who have posted on this site about the Midnight Blue color - I love it in person but I had to see it before I felt comfortable about it. That configuration dynamic on BMWUSA makes that color look teal or some crazy blue/green variant. It must be the lighting. I know metallic paint can do that for sure, but it threw me. I decided to go with Midnight Blue only AFTER I had seen it in person (I like it better than the Deep Sea Blue).
Wonderful Dragon
I was thinking of mid night blue too as I do have Deep sea 2012 X5D, so wont like two very close blue shades. Can you post your pictures vs deep sea blue. Did you see orange yet? is it close to 1 series color or ??? not sure. How is green?
Old 08-13-2012, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: E84, VW TDI, E36
Interesting data point.

Last month one of the several dealers in the area I investigated X1 ED with, strongly insisted they'd give no price breaks or discounts, and instead were playing the "we got such a hot car coming here so we can charge the absolute highest premium for it" card.

They even said "Do you know how much money we could charge for such a hot car in NYC?"

Yeah, but yah aren't NYC, Blanche, you aren't.

Fast forward one month - this same dealer is now completely confused why they do not have even ONE pre-order for the X1, rare case for any new BMW model.

Hmm - do you think there's a SLIGHT correlation here???

NYC indeed.

It's also curious that 10 of the 15 dealer demo cars in the area are white in exterior color, and the other 5 are blue.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:31 AM

I don't have live pictures yet - but will get some for you. I have only seen white, midnight blue, and deep sea blue. I have not seen orange and wouldn't expect that would be a regular dealer order. I spent time talking to the sales manager who is ordering these right now and while you have to take some of what he says with a grain of salt I did find him to be credible and helpful.

He told me (which I have since verified reading around online) that because Europe hit a wall over the past 3 months with the Euro crisis etc. BMW has redirected more inventory of the new X1 to the US. Dealers went from telling me there were going to get 2 or 3 X1s per month to over 10 now. That changes the pricing dynamic significantly, or it should in my opinion. I'm guessing they were going to play the "hard to get this new model" card quite a bit but not the volume will start to come in and they want to move some cars.

Having said that, it's still a new car to the US. It has been up in Canada for a while and 3 plus years in Europe, so between Youtube and blogs you can read quite a bit of feedback about the car. I have 3 dealerships within an hour of me so I started to push them against each other and that seemed to work well.

I'll keep my eye out for the other color schemes but will post the blue and white pics as soon as I can when I go to the dealer next.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive 28i
Ordered X1 last week at invoice after rebate

I'm new to BMW but like this car. Attended 3-series promotion on August 3 and received 1000.00 rebate and dealer agreed to apply to this purchase. I believe that I am a little below invoice, but maybe I am missing something.

X1 xDrive28i
xLine
Glacier Silver
Nevada Terra
Fineline Bay Wood Trim
Cold Weather Pkg
Lighting Pkg
Ultimate Pkg
Satin aluminum roof rails
BMW apps
Satellite radio 1 year
Destination $895

MSRP = 45595
Price offer = 43403

Applied rebate 1000.00 from Team BMW promotion

Final = 42403
Edmunds invoice = 42760
Old 08-23-2012, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: MINI Cooper S
So after driving several vehicles, my wife finally found one she likes. The 2013 X1 sDrive28i. Alpine White with Premium Package. RETAIL $36,545.00 MSRP. We sat down with one dealer and he wasn't budging off the the MSRP saying its such a "Hot" car right now. Over the internet a different dealership was willing to drop the price a whopping $450.00 off the MSRP to 36,095 =\ I am annoyed that I haven't found anyone who can give us a better deal than this. We are in Southern California, in the Orange County area so I think this might be why we're getting these horrendous "deals." Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the X1 for LESS?? One poster got 5.6% off sticker so for us that would be 2046.52 off MSRP which would be AWESOME! I don't want to pay anymore than we have to so any help would be much appreciated!

It annoys me that as a buyer NEW to BMW's we are finding that BMW rewards only previous owners and doesn't have any New to BMW incentives! =(

Oh and to add insult to injury it looks like we missed out on the $1000 Team USA Drive event =( A friend of mine went and received the email with code, but is not using his incentive at all, but from what I read, it looks like it's not transferrable.. Double Sucks for us!

Last edited by islands0n; 08-23-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:11 PM

Everything is possible.

I was lucky to get 7.1% off by negotiating the price over the email/phone. i.e. excluding the Team USA and other discounts. You will have to cast a wide net. Start with two dealers closer to your place. Go visit them, Get the best price, go back negotiate and tell them you are about to pull the trigger and ask them to sharpen their pencils and get u the final price. Its important to visit the first two dealership to let them know that you are a serious buyer. Talk to them at your own terms. Before they tell you how 'HOT' the car is, you tell them everything you know about the CAR. Yeah granted it is HOT right now, thanks in large to the pent up demand and 2-3 years waiting period. However, there is no way to predict how the American masses are going to react. At the end of the day it is still a glorified Station Wagon. Anyways, once you get the final price from them, increase your search radius and go to two new dealers. One at a time, give them your best price and ask them to beat it. I would do that atleast with 8 - 10 dealers(no need to make trips to new dealers), before you cant move any lower. Some might just flatly refuse to entertain you, while others would want you to share information about the current offer. Some dealers wont give you the price in writing/email. You will have to get creative to get the pricing down in email. Anyways, long story short, Everything is possible. You just need to persevere and do your homework. With every conversation with new dealer you will be better equipped to handle the next.

P.S. Final price was almost 12% off MSRP after including rebates, discounts and promos.

Last edited by Talisker; 08-23-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1FirstBMW View Post
USAA discount isn't valid on the X1. Or at least it doesn't appear to be. I can't even get pricing on the website to print out the certificate. I haven't used the program before so maybe I'm wrong
Did it appear for X1?
Old 08-23-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
I was lucky to get 7.1% off by negotiating the price over the email/phone. i.e. excluding the Team USA and other discounts. You will have to cast a wide net. Start with two dealers closer to your place. Go visit them, Get the best price, go back negotiate and tell them you are about to pull the trigger and ask them to sharpen their pencils and get u the final price. Its important to visit the first two dealership to let them know that you are a serious buyer. Talk to them at your own terms. Before they tell you how 'HOT' the car is, you tell them everything you know about the CAR. Yeah granted it HOT right now, thanks in large to the pent up demand and 2-3 years waiting period to release here. However, there is no way to predict how the masses here are going to react to it. It still is at the end of the day a glorified Station Wagon. Anyways, once you get the final price from them, increase your radius and go to two new dealers. One at a time, give them your best price and ask them to beat it. I would do that atleast with 8 - 10 dealers. Before you cant move any lower. Some might just flatly refuse to entertain you, while others would want you to share information about the current offer you have. Some dealers wont give you the price in writing/email. You will have to get creative to get the pricing down in email. Anyways, long story short, Everything is possible. You just need to persevere and do your homework. With every conversation with new dealer you will be better equipped to handle the next.

P.S. Final price was almost 12% off MSRP after including rebates, discounts and promos.
Is 7.1% is abt Invoice or over? and how much?
Old 08-23-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibawala View Post
Is 7.1% is abt Invoice or over? and how much?
It depends on the configuration. In general, for X1 you can expect to be around invoice between 7 to 8%.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:37 PM

Talking

@Talisker, Thanks for the tip. I very much appreciate it! I just checked out how many BMW dealerships are in my area and it looks like there are 13 within driving distance. My journey continues tomorrow to see who is willing to give me the deal that I want.

I have read that the mark up over invoice is typically around 7% - 8% so from what you posted it seems you were initially able to get a dealer to basically give the X1 to you at invoice, PRIOR to the incentives. Kudos to you, I have yet to see anyone negotiate a car at almost 12% off MSRP. My suggestion would be that BIMMERFEST honor the best in show for these type of deals!

I have heard that dealers sometimes like to do this because it adds to their overall "Bonus" from the manufacturer and they are willing to take a "Loss" so that for the month they get a big bonus for selling a certain number of vehicles. I have always wanted to tell a dealer "I want to pay $xx,xxx.00 for a car, please call me when you can make that deal happen, and NOT a second before."

Based on what you posted, it seems it may be better to pit them against each other until the best price finally shows up.

Any thoughts on an all cash deal vs financing? In my most recent experiences, it seems dealerships don't really care if you can pay for the car outright or if you have financing. I would think they would get some sort of BONUS or SPIFF from BMW Financing if they got a buyer to finance through them...

I'll see what the net catches me tomorrow and post my findings, Thank You to all who wish to contribute any other tips to my quest!
Old 08-24-2012, 07:20 AM
Custom User

Islands0n, there are also a number of great Bimmerfest sponsors from Cali, and they WILL give you a wonderful deal if you simply ask them; I recommend Justin@NCBMW, a very easygoing and upfront guy. Good luck!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:22 AM

The Fox, what is the name of the dealership and where? Do u have a last name so I can ask for him directly?
Old 08-24-2012, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 97 E36M/4
When nogotiating a deal over the invoice price, don't forget that MACO (national advertising fees that most, but not all dealers participate in) and Training Fees are typically consideree part of the invoice price. However, the invoice prices publicized over the internet do not include these fees and therefore the 7-8% markup to MSRP does not take into account the need for dealers to pay this fee so they aren't making 7-8%.

Be sure to clarify whether the invoice price your are negotiating relative to includes these fees to be sure you are comparing apples to apples.