Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 08-30-2012, 02:29 PM
dfwbiker

Send a message via Yahoo to dfwbiker
Mein Auto: 2009 750li
Combox upgrade

Just got quote of $800-825 to get the new Combox installed. However, I'm confused. The email states they will remove the TCU and MULF modules, and the new combox installed. He then states that in addition to losing BMW Assist, I will have to reinstall the TCU and MULF modules. He states they will be covered by the warranty from BMW.

What are TCU and MULF, and does anyone know about having modules re-installed by the dealer under warranty?

Thanks for any help
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2012, 02:10 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwbiker View Post
Just got quote of $800-825 to get the new Combox installed. However, I'm confused. The email states they will remove the TCU and MULF modules, and the new combox installed. He then states that in addition to losing BMW Assist, I will have to reinstall the TCU and MULF modules. He states they will be covered by the warranty from BMW.

What are TCU and MULF, and does anyone know about having modules re-installed by the dealer under warranty?

Thanks for any help
This is all correct.

The TCU and MULF modules are located in the trunk and the Combox will take over all their functionality except BMW Assist.

You need to put them back in case your dealer wants to update the car software because your car was built before the Combox was available and the BMW computer will not allow to program the car if it detects the Combox installed in your car.
Phone (USA): (646) 439-7920 (7:00am - 3:00pm ET) :: info@bimmer-tech.net :: www.bimmer-tech.net
Installation facilities worldwide.

Follow us on
Old 08-31-2012, 03:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11' 750i, 14' Bentley GTC
Can you do this install at home?

Old 08-31-2012, 07:05 PM
2009 F02

Mein Auto: 750li, XJ8
what is a combox?

2009 750Li - Space Grau Metallic, Camera pkg, Conv pkg, Driver Asst pkg, Lux Seat pkg, Lux rear seat pkg, Prem sound pkg, Sport pkg, HUD, Massaging rear seats, Smartphone integration, Sat radio, MTEC H8 4750K Halo lights
Old 08-31-2012, 11:04 PM

Mein Auto: 11' 750i, 14' Bentley GTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhughes420384 View Post
what is a combox?
Let's you get features like BMW apps, internet and iphone/ipad streaming for owners who got there cars before 2011.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:26 PM
dfwbiker

Send a message via Yahoo to dfwbiker
Mein Auto: 2009 750li
Patrys, thanks for the information. I'm reluctant to install a combox I'll have to disconnect each time the car gets serviced for a software upgrade. Not sure whether the price is worth the hassle.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Wardaddy in retirement

Mein Auto: f01 750i
Nope, it's not.
By far.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:18 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwbiker View Post
Patrys, thanks for the information. I'm reluctant to install a combox I'll have to disconnect each time the car gets serviced for a software upgrade. Not sure whether the price is worth the hassle.
For regular maintenance you do not need to remove it. If you dealer changes the oil or filters they can reset the service interval with the Combox installed.
You need to remove the Combox only if they need to update the car software and they do it only if there is a recall or a repair that requires a software update.

Here are the features you are getting with the Combox/6NR:
- Bluetooth audio
- Better Bluetooth integration for handsfree calling
- Office (iOS6 supports emails sync)
- Internet* and BMW Online*
- BMW Apps
- BMW Plugin
- Video playback

*These services require tethering enable on your iPhone
Phone (USA): (646) 439-7920 (7:00am - 3:00pm ET) :: info@bimmer-tech.net :: www.bimmer-tech.net

Follow us on
Old 09-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Wardaddy in retirement

Mein Auto: f01 750i
Have you seen how that tethered internet works on such a setup?

Old 09-03-2012, 03:49 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamlord View Post
Have you seen how that tethered internet works on such a setup?
Sure, we do it all the time.
It's fast enough to use the BMW Live features when you need them.

Follow us on
Old 09-03-2012, 07:55 AM
2009 F02

Mein Auto: 750li, XJ8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
For regular maintenance you do not need to remove it. If you dealer changes the oil or filters they can reset the service interval with the Combox installed.
You need to remove the Combox only if they need to update the car software and they do it only if there is a recall or a repair that requires a software update.

Here are the features you are getting with the Combox/6NR:
- Bluetooth audio
- Better Bluetooth integration for handsfree calling
- Office (iOS6 supports emails sync)
- Internet* and BMW Online*
- BMW Apps
- BMW Plugin
- Video playback

*These services require tethering enable on your iPhone
I have most of this in my 09, I dont have the Office, not sure if i have video playback (not sure i would want to watch videos in my car anyway)
were some of these options in 09? I found my car on the lot it was loaded, I went back and looked at the window sticker, i do have the satelite radio and the smarphone integration packages, i guess this got me this stuff.

2009 750Li - Space Grau Metallic, Camera pkg, Conv pkg, Driver Asst pkg, Lux Seat pkg, Lux rear seat pkg, Prem sound pkg, Sport pkg, HUD, Massaging rear seats, Smartphone integration, Sat radio, MTEC H8 4750K Halo lights
Old 09-03-2012, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i M Sport
You don't have those features, combox wasn't introduced until vehicles produced from October 2010 onwards
Old 04-13-2013, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Let me understand this...

If combox was introduced in vehicles after october 2010, it is a BMW OEM part
BUT
If that new combox interfere with BMW dealer computer reprogramming

Does it mean that the combox you offer is doing the same work as the post oct-2010 electronics but it is NOT the same OEM part ?
Which would mean that post oct-2010, no only they added the combox, they must have also changed other part of the CIC ?

I mean that if we added to our pre oct-2010 car, the part that was introduced in oct-2010, then we would have no need to remove the combox for computer upgrade ?

I will very certainly make the combox install and i wanted to understand exactly what it is and where it fits.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:10 AM

Mein Auto: '10 740Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post
Let me understand this...

If combox was introduced in vehicles after october 2010, it is a BMW OEM part
BUT
If that new combox interfere with BMW dealer computer reprogramming

Does it mean that the combox you offer is doing the same work as the post oct-2010 electronics but it is NOT the same OEM part ?
Which would mean that post oct-2010, no only they added the combox, they must have also changed other part of the CIC ?

I mean that if we added to our pre oct-2010 car, the part that was introduced in oct-2010, then we would have no need to remove the combox for computer upgrade ?

I will very certainly make the combox install and i wanted to understand exactly what it is and where it fits.
It is the Oem part but they code it for your car. If bmw updates the car the coding would be lost and would need to be done again.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:01 AM
Can that be retrofitted??

Mein Auto: 740d (F01)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger74 View Post
You don't have those features, combox wasn't introduced until vehicles produced from October 2010 onwards
For what European or US models? Or all models?

Is there a definitive way to know if you have the Combox or not?
I have a Nov 2010 European F01.

I'm looking to get the TuneIn app running on it - but don't actually know if I have the Combox or not?

Does anyone have any definitive answer on the whole Combox/ CIC refresh?

I know in the UK BMW offer a combox apps upgrade, but they state only if your car was manufactured in MY2011 - Jan2011 onwards which kinda goes with the whole combox installed thing...

I also know that very recent...2013 models have a new updated CIC (faster processor, slightly redone menus, etc) but not sure if this is a retrofit option at all or if it supersedes the combox?

Rob

Last edited by Rob9877; 04-18-2013 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Update
Old 04-18-2013, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: ///M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob9877 View Post
For what European or US models? Or all models?

Is there a definitive way to know if you have the Combox or not?
I have a Nov 2010 European F01.

I'm looking to get the TuneIn app running on it - but don't actually know if I have the Combox or not?

Does anyone have any definitive answer on the whole Combox/ CIC refresh?

I know in the UK BMW offer a combox apps upgrade, but they state only if your car was manufactured in MY2011 - Jan2011 onwards which kinda goes with the whole combox installed thing...

I also know that very recent...2013 models have a new updated CIC (faster processor, slightly redone menus, etc) but not sure if this is a retrofit option at all or if it supersedes the combox?

Rob
If you have a software update option under settings, you have Combox....if not, then nope. I think you should based on your build date.

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.