Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 750 Li
Warranty thoughts? Carchex vs Ensurall?

Hey guys. I tried searching but didnt find anything of significance that was recent, so i figured Id post here to solicit opinions. Facts:

Car is a 2006 750Li, 88k miles, CPO and maintenance plan ended at end of August this year.

I drive 15k-18k miles/year on average, and would like to keep this car for quite a while. However, we all know the pain they can inflict out of warranty, and frankly, im concerned.

I started looking into aftermarket service plans, and it seems to boil down to most exclusion policies being limited by the age of the car/miles.

Easycare through the dealer is max of 2 years, and quote was $11k. I can get a lot of stuff fixed for $11k.....

Ensurall can do up to 5 years, but will only go up to 125k iles total. Their premium coverage is about $4800, but honestly based on the miles i drive, i would go 4 year, 125k miles for $4500.

Carchex is coming back with about $4300 for their platinum coverage with GPS/Nav system adder. This will cover me up to 138k miles/4 years.

Carchex seems the better choice BUT I would like to know if anyone has dealt with them first hand? Are there others worth talking to? Ive done some of the other on-line quote things (i.e. warrantydirect.com, etc), but wasnt overly impressed with them.

Also, aside from covered components, variations in coverage that seem to matter seem to be:

OEM vs used/rebuilt/aftermarket parts
Who pays sales tax on parts
Agreed labor rate (I actually love my dealer, and want to keep using them if possible)
Seals/gasket coverage (replace a leaking gasket because it leaks vs. once it kills something)

Anything else?

Any other thoughts/ideas? Am i missing anything important?

THANKS in advance for any and all thoguhts/input!

Ron
Advertisement
Old 11-26-2011, 08:57 AM
Mike

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 750Li
I would first ask your service writer at the dealer if he has any experience dealing with the above mentioned warranty companies
Old 11-26-2011, 09:11 AM

Thx, already have a call in to him to see if he knows of either.
Just Hoping to get opinions from the user side too.
Thanks!
1956 Ford Sunliner Convt - His idea
Old 11-26-2011, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LI
Instead of easy care, for 11k, I would sell the car and get a 2008 with 2 years of CPO on it.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745 li
dont buy any warranties..they are all a scam..i bought one from carchex for 4k..and now when i had a problem they wont cover it..every mechanic i have spoken to tells me all warranties are scams..they will never pay and they will put you thru hell thinking they are going to cover stuff and in the end just deny it.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:31 AM
jenkx

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Don't buy a warranty from any online company!!! Scam scam scam. In the end they won't pay a thing. You're better off putting your $4,500 in a savings account for maintainance.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:51 AM

Bigmoe, what was the problem you had that they didnt cover? What was the reason they gave?
Jenkx, are you speaking from first hand experience?
Trying to find a way to get coverage for the big stuff (weep hole, leaking gaskets, idrive, trans, etc) which these policies indicate they cover.
Thanks for all the replies, keep em coming!
Old 11-30-2011, 08:19 AM

they wont cover anything..if they do cover something it would be the most minor thing possible and it will be the biggest headache ever to get that done...bottom line is they will never in a zillion years ever pay for any repair that would even cost 25% of what the policy cost you...cancel it asap and run like hell.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:48 AM
TTurboFest

Mein Auto: F02 (750Li)
Quote:
Originally Posted by king0fspades View Post
Instead of easy care, for 11k, I would sell the car and get a 2008 with 2 years of CPO on it.
I agree , truly a no brainier
Old 11-30-2011, 11:21 AM
jenkx

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTGrove View Post
Jenkx, are you speaking from first hand experience?
I almost bought a warranty from an online company a few years back. I had three companies giving me the runaround when I was asking questions before I made my initial payment. The more I talked to the companies the more they sounded like swindlers. I did a search online for each of the companies and there was nothing but complaints about non-payment of items the policy was supposed to cover. (Similar to what you're hearing here). Two years ago I saw the local news advertise an investigative report about online auto warrantees. I didn't get to watch the actual program but the fact that the news was doing an investigative report on it means it was bad news. In the last 4 years the cost of my repairs out of pocket have been less than the policy quotes I received. I'm glad I didn't go the online warranty route.

You may find a legit company or someone here may have a good experience with one, but my advice is to steer clear.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4XBMW7 View Post
I agree , truly a no brainier
Not really; the delta between my car and a CPO 08 is (moderately) over $11k, and in 2 years im in the same position with a car out of warranty.
Plus I do know the whole history of my car since new, full service records, and frankly dont have the time/desire to go searching for a nice cpo 08.
Im really surprised so many have had negative experiences with aftermarket service plans; but its what i was afraid of....
Has anybody had ANY good experiences???
Old 11-30-2011, 02:29 PM

ok guys i am so happy to be informing you that CARCHEX came thru for me!..they sold me the warranty but the actual warranty was with enterprise financial group..carchex is a broker...so now when i had this problem with my car naturally i was dealing with the warranty company..and of course i was getting screwed..well then i contacted carchex directly and the manager there went to bat for me with enterprise financial and now i was just told they will pay for the repairs..its going to be a replacement tranny..i will let you guys know how it all works out ultimately but its looking good!
Old 08-19-2015, 08:37 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Chayku
Mein Auto: 750iL
NEVER go for aftermarket insurance companies

I'm fed up and learnt the lesson in hard way. No doubt, these aftermarket insurance quotes are cheaper. Mind you the process for filing the claim is tedious. First you need 2 quotes with pictures directly from the repair shop. Then you may proceed for repair. Once the repair is complete, you need to file the claim with all evidence. There'd be few more questions and answers before the claim is partially approved. Minimum 2 months for this claim request process..... Please go for the dealer extended warranty and that is lot more hassle-free with no paper work to handle.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayku View Post
I'm fed up and learnt the lesson in hard way. No doubt, these aftermarket insurance quotes are cheaper. Mind you the process for filing the claim is tedious. First you need 2 quotes with pictures directly from the repair shop. Then you may proceed for repair. Once the repair is complete, you need to file the claim with all evidence. There'd be few more questions and answers before the claim is partially approved. Minimum 2 months for this claim request process..... Please go for the dealer extended warranty and that is lot more hassle-free with no paper work to handle.
Not sure why you felt the need to post your erroneous opinion in my 4 year old thread (ESPECIALLY for your first and only post...), but everything you said above is just flat untrue (at least in my experience).

I ultimately went with Carchex, and could not have been happier. They paid out more than 3x the purchase price, with no hassles whatsoever. Had all work done at the dealer, and even they said they were great to deal with. Most of the time they didn't even send anyone out to inspect the car, even when I needed a new trans a few months after I got the policy.

Going off memory, some of the things they replaced included:

Trans (they even covered a BMW reman trans which had a longer warranty)
Water Pump
I-Drive controller
a bunch of gaskets, including oil pan and front timing cover, valve covers, etc.
Some other misc stuff.

With all of that, I don't think I ever waited more than a day for any approvals, and the dealer handled all of it. I never had to deal with any of the "paperwork" other than paying my deductible at the cashier when it was done.

Sorry you (apparently) had a bad experience with a warranty company; maybe next time do more homework.

Last edited by RTGrove; 08-20-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTGrove View Post
Not sure why you felt the need to post your erroneous opinion in my 4 year old thread (ESPECIALLY for your first and only post...), but everything you said above is just flat untrue (at least in my experience).

I ultimately went with Carchex, and could not have been happier. They paid out more than 3x the purchase price, with no hassles whatsoever. Had all work done at the dealer, and even they said they were great to deal with. Most of the time they didn't even send anyone out to inspect the car, even when I needed a new trans a few months after I got the policy.

Going off memory, some of the things they replaced included:

Trans (they even covered a BMW reman trans which had a longer warranty)
Water Pump
I-Drive controller
a bunch of gaskets, including oil pan and front timing cover, valve covers, etc.
Some other misc stuff.

With all of that, I don't think I ever waited more than a day for any approvals, and the dealer handled all of it. I never had to deal with any of the "paperwork" other than paying my deductible at the cashier when it was done.

Sorry you (apparently) had a bad experience with a warranty company; maybe next time do more homework.
Thanks sooooo much for this! I'm debating purchasing a warranty through Carchex and this info is great to hear! When thinking of spending over $6k on a warranty, one of the last things you want to hear are horror stories. Thanks again!
Old 02-04-2016, 01:07 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X6, '08 750li
Too bad carchex doesn't cover California...
Old 03-14-2016, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 750Li
I have had Carchex for about 3 years now on both my, 07 750Li and my 06 X5, they have been a stellar company. 8 months after I purchased my 07 750Li the upper timing chain gasket leaked oil on the alternator and burned it out. New upper timing chain gaskets, alternator and a few other things the BMW shop found that needed to be fix. Carchex paid the whole bill almost 5,000 with no issues. I give them a A+
Old 03-19-2016, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745i 2005
I purchased my warranty for my 745i 05 from Endurance, i am adding screen shots so you can kinda see what your working with here. Please don't call me crazy for paying this much per month on a warranty, i know how much these cars cost to maintain its not cheap, and I'm not trying to pay $3000 for something stupid to go wrong with it..and i paid cash for my car at a really low price because of the way it had been taken care of so i had no choice but to make sure i had some protection.. I have to point out that the warranty doesn't kick in for 1000 miles after you purchase your warranty and it has to be 30 days after you bought the warranty before it kicks in so its not instant.. My car has a lot of miles on it too so that upped the cost , but heres the paperwork so u can look and see what it kinda covers.. hope this helps
(paperwork attached to this post)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ENDURANCE BMW WARRENTY COVERAGE copy.pdf (343.8 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Sbradbury; 03-19-2016 at 04:36 PM. Reason: picture wasn't posting

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search