Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:54 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Smile Radio signal AWFUL on 08 X5. Should it be?

I have just bought the X5 having previously had a Lexus and so far am filled with disappointment. We bought 2nd hand with only 20,000 on the clock. We have installed a bass speaker as the sound was rubbish and have had to put a new battery in and re booted the computer but we have problems with the radio reception. It won't scan for a better reception. Is this right? I can't believe it can be so bad. Any advice much appreciated as local service centre not great. Thx
Ads by Google
Old 09-01-2012, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: 08 X5 3.0
Get use to it. For real.
I have same problem , Dealer check my radio,antena and connector's twice, no issiue find.
If you had lexus with Mark Levinson system you can't compare to bmw sound.
That's a shame , 60-70k car don't have good system.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Don't be a hammer

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
Didn't you listen to the audio system before you bought it? If it's that important to you, you should have tested it....
Old 09-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finp View Post
I have just bought the X5 having previously had a Lexus and so far am filled with disappointment.
Filled with disappointment from just this one radio issue?
Old 09-05-2012, 12:17 AM

Yes listened to the system. Yes knew we would need to put in a bass which we were happy to do but did not expect on a three hour journey from somerset to surrey crossing through various radio stations that it wouldn't be able to find any radio station. A reboot later and a new battery and we have radio but it won't search for a better signal once the crackling starts. On a 50k+ car this cannot be normal can it?
When we did various test drives on various models we Also didn't realise that when you run low on fuel the sat nav won't work to its full potential as its so busy telling you about reserve fuel! also The sat nav itself is pretty 'interesting' with its routes. I could go on but I won't as I'm obviously just not a fan! It will be gone within the year. Back to Lexus I think.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:37 AM
Don't be a hammer

Comparing almost 5 year old tech ('08 BMW) to new tech (Lexus '13), I'm sure you're going to find some gaps. That beings said, if you run the car down to its reserve fuel level, it SHOULD warn you that you're about to run out of fuel. Imagine the post from you if you had run out "well, the car didn't tell me I was about to run it out of fuel, what a rubbish vehicle". Again, if radio is that important to you, maybe you should have checked it better before you bought the X5 or sign up for satellite radio.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:34 PM

I'm not comparing a 13 Lexus! My old one was a 54 and far superior. As all test drives are around 5 mile radius how on earth am I supposed to test a radios signal strength! But I guess you have confirmed that I'm supposed to expect a poor system from BMW which saves me more money at the BMW
service centre
Old 09-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Don't be a hammer

Quote:
I'm not comparing a 13 Lexus! My old one was a 54 and far superior. As all test drives are around 5 mile radius how on earth am I supposed to test a radios signal strength! But I guess you have confirmed that I'm supposed to expect a poor system from BMW which saves me more money at the BMW
service centre
That is impressive, a 1954 Lexus huh?

Testing the radio steps:
1) turn on car
2) turn on radio
3) change stations and see if favorites come in

ez pz

your last sentence makes no sense.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
service centre
Thought you were in Surrey, BC (Canada) for a sec, then realized you were in UK by the way you type... I was going to suggest getting Sirius Radio but thats not an option.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gresch View Post
That is impressive, a 1954 Lexus huh?

Testing the radio steps:
1) turn on car
2) turn on radio
3) change stations and see if favorites come in

ez pz

your last sentence makes no sense.
Hilarious. Who joins a forum to try to prove their superiority? I've obviously hit a nerve of someone that can't bear to hear negative feedback on a BMW.
For everyone else yes favourites are set and work when in full signal. Where the radio falls foul is when driving long distance and we get out of range of the pre-set. The radio won't adjust to find a better signal. If anyone has any useful advice it would be much appreciated.