Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-02-2012, 04:59 AM
whiteywagon whiteywagon is offline
Registered User
Location: the island
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: e34 touring
E34 touring new member

Hi all,

Just a quick upload and a brief description of my daily driver.

1993 520i M50 vanos

5 speed manual

Alpine Weiss on black and grey interior.

Staggered 17" Softlines with 235/45 fronts and 255/40 rears

Magnaflow exhaust

Power front windows and manual rears.

HID 5k driving lamps (height adjustable)

Owned for 5 years

Have changed the following since ownership: radiator, rotors, t-stat, fan clutch, bushings, oil pan gasket, and control arms.

Problems I have now: vacuum lines have fallen off or have deteriorated, power steering leaks, head gasket leak, no power to rear license plate lights, no power to rear glass release, and no power in the tailgate handle. All normal I guess with ownership.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6675.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	340003  
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 09-02-2012, 06:26 AM
txrealtor txrealtor is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Huntsville, AL
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 188
Mein Auto: '95 525it '95 525i/M
Nice looking wagon! Welcome!
__________________

1995 525it/5 98,000 miles
1995 525i 123,000 miles
1995 530i
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-02-2012, 04:01 PM
whiteywagon whiteywagon is offline
Registered User
Location: the island
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: e34 touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by txrealtor View Post
Nice looking wagon! Welcome!
Thank you txrealtor.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-02-2012, 11:12 PM
_Ethrty-Andy_'s Avatar
_Ethrty-Andy_ _Ethrty-Andy_ is offline
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic
Location: Humble New Zealand
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,138
Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
check my build thread of what you can do with a 520i

id like to know what your fuel economy is like though? my M52B20 in my E34 was terrible but it was automatic though had only 80,000km when i removed it. im interested to know if the manual is better which id assume it is. I was getting around 14-17L/100km in mine
__________________

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-03-2012, 05:05 AM
whiteywagon whiteywagon is offline
Registered User
Location: the island
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: e34 touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ethrty-Andy_ View Post
check my build thread of what you can do with a 520i

id like to know what your fuel economy is like though? my M52B20 in my E34 was terrible but it was automatic though had only 80,000km when i removed it. im interested to know if the manual is better which id assume it is. I was getting around 14-17L/100km in mine
HI Ethirty- Andy I have seen your build thread and its pretty sweet. A V12 is the way to go.

Your consumption even an automatic is actually good. The traffic in manila is horrendous so I'm getting close to 8L/100km. Yes its that bad.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-03-2012, 01:43 PM
bimbox bimbox is offline
A lover of tailgates
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: 2006 530xi Sports Wagon
WHITEY, I'm so jealous. My e61 is a better car in most ways than my late, great e34 Touring but I just don't love it the same way.

Ethrty-Andy's fuel mileage is pretty bad - I don't think I ever measured higher than 10 litres/100km with my 525i, with the M50 engine and 4-speed automatic. Mind you, I'm an old guy with a light foot on the go pedal. I expect his many performance modifications (and driving style, maybe?) are resulting in a hungry beast.

If you're really getting 8 litres/100km, celebrate! The lower the consumption number over a fixed distance (100km), the better mileage you're getting. For the Y'allers out there, that's about 29 miles per US gallon - mighty fine for a big beautiful hauler like this.
__________________
Ultimate Drives from my past: 1995 525i Touring (2004-2012), 1984 325e 2-door (1984-1987), 1972 2002, (1978-1980). Currently enjoying a black 2006 530xi Touring (BimBox2)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-03-2012, 02:14 PM
_Ethrty-Andy_'s Avatar
_Ethrty-Andy_ _Ethrty-Andy_ is offline
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic
Location: Humble New Zealand
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,138
Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbox View Post
WHITEY, I'm so jealous. My e61 is a better car in most ways than my late, great e34 Touring but I just don't love it the same way.

Ethrty-Andy's fuel mileage is pretty bad - I don't think I ever measured higher than 10 litres/100km with my 525i, with the M50 engine and 4-speed automatic. Mind you, I'm an old guy with a light foot on the go pedal. I expect his many performance modifications (and driving style, maybe?) are resulting in a hungry beast.

If you're really getting 8 litres/100km, celebrate! The lower the consumption number over a fixed distance (100km), the better mileage you're getting. For the Y'allers out there, that's about 29 miles per US gallon - mighty fine for a big beautiful hauler like this.
oh what i said above was with the M52B20 in there, not the current engine. I havent had a good drive in the E34 yet to know what the milage is like in living conditions, but it will be high as it wont be the daily driver.
My 525iT was closer to what you were getting, around 12L, but tourings are slightly heavier than the sedans, and also the engine had had a hard life.
my E30 316i gets about 6-7L so thats not bad.
I drive pretty sedately most of the time, i used to be a stupid driver but after i lost my licence for amassing too many tickets i have changed and keep that to the track now. less than a month to go to the next track day cant wait, will be the first time i take the E34 out with the new engine, i took it out last year when it was the 2L to get a comparison to now.
__________________

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-04-2012, 10:52 AM
goosefoot33's Avatar
goosefoot33 goosefoot33 is offline
Manualaholic
Location: Hudson, MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,757
Mein Auto: 01 330Ci/94 530i
That is one clean touring whitey- congrats! Post some more (detailed) pictures in the thread that's stickied at the top of the threads page.

Sent from my Droid Incredible
__________________
BMWCCA Member# 451235
(Summer) 2001 330Ci - ZSP
(Winter) 1994 530i "Greenie" - PARTING OUT! (PM for details)

(Grocery Getter) 2002 525iT
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-04-2012, 06:53 PM
whiteywagon whiteywagon is offline
Registered User
Location: the island
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: e34 touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosefoot33 View Post
That is one clean touring whitey- congrats! Post some more (detailed) pictures in the thread that's stickied at the top of the threads page.

Sent from my Droid Incredible
Thanks goosefoot for the shout out. Alright let me scrounge around for some pics of the interior and some of the engine bay.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
e34 touring wagon alpina


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms