Im new to the E65 family - 07 Alpina B7 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 740I SPORT
Im new to the E65 family - 07 Alpina B7

Hello all I`m excited to join the real Alpina. Some of you may know I had a 2000 740i Sport I converted to look like an Alpina B12 individual but with Dinan 7 enhancements.
I owned that car for 11 glorious years.
Now a 2007 Alpina B7 Black on Black with 114k miles
Clean title but it has its faults

Here are my to do`s

The blac paint needed attention badly..Inside was pretty much flawless seats, armrest, mats etc
My issues were as follows
1) PDC Sensor on front bumper bad= Replaced ebay for $10 and all works great now
2) Passenger seat control Dial is broken off= ordered off ebay
3) On idle for a long period of time the exhaust will start smoking= Valve stem seals job EEEEK!!!
...Temp Solution is add LIQUID MOLY 2020 to a oil level full engine. You`ll see almost instant results in 200-300 miles driving...Smoke is almost gone on long idles and non existent on normal driving.
I did pass California Smog test as it was required for registration. whew!

Must do`s:

4) 21" Alpinas were curbed and slightly bent...Gonna send them out for refurbishing
a) Tires were bad and Tire pressure warning constantly. I had to bend some of the rims back with a rubber mallet so they could hold air...bought all 4 used tires for temp..Need to diagnose suspension , struts before I buy new tires

5) Gassing the car is a chore. You need to keep pressing the gas nozzle as it auto clicks off= needs new Charcoal canister- need to find out how to R&R

7) transmission in low speeds 2nd to 3rd gear sometimes tends to hit into gear
- Maybe a Transmission adaptation reset? or transmission fluid change?

The PO did a lot before me buying it with receipts
1) Supercharger
2) Alternator
3) Battery
4) valve covers
5) spark plugs

Last edited by FABOCH; 12-09-2017 at 03:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2017, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: E65 ALPINA B7
Welcome! Car looks great. The wheels look awesome in black.
My car has a similar issues with the transmission. Sometimes its as smooth as butter, sometimes its not...
Good luck with your adventures.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash_89 View Post
Welcome! Car looks great. The wheels look awesome in black.
My car has a similar issues with the transmission. Sometimes its as smooth as butter, sometimes its not...
Good luck with your adventures.
Thank you sir! Ive had Silver Alpina Softlines and Silver Alpina Classics on my e38 since 2009 ( 8 years). Blacked out Alpinas are super sexy to me right now.. I forgot to mention the PO added Alpina wheel cap stickers on the caps...Now I have to order the genuine caps...
So you`re having the same transmission issues? Have you addressed it to a mechanic yet? How long have you had the problem or is it normal? I found out the Alpina B7 actually starts off in 2nd gear. Safe to say all that torque. In order to wake up 1st gear you have to go in switchtronic mode at stop (launch mode)
Im on the bubble to pay $109 for transmission adaptation reset or $550 for transmission fluid flush? or do nothing at all
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2017, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 750i e65
Great looking car.

1999 740i RIP
2008 750i ripping up the road
Old 12-10-2017, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: E65 ALPINA B7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FABOCH View Post
Thank you sir! Ive had Silver Alpina Softlines and Silver Alpina Classics on my e38 since 2009 ( 8 years). Blacked out Alpinas are super sexy to me right now.. I forgot to mention the PO added Alpina wheel cap stickers on the caps...Now I have to order the genuine caps...
So you`re having the same transmission issues? Have you addressed it to a mechanic yet? How long have you had the problem or is it normal? I found out the Alpina B7 actually starts off in 2nd gear. Safe to say all that torque. In order to wake up 1st gear you have to go in switchtronic mode at stop (launch mode)
Im on the bubble to pay $109 for transmission adaptation reset or $550 for transmission fluid flush? or do nothing at all
I think the issue is "normal" with these cars. There is another guy on here who has a B7 and he is doing maintenance work on it. Check out his thread, it gets updated regularly so it won't be hard to find.
For me the issue was there when I bought the car. I just live with it. Its not a huge issue, I guess I'm used to it.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Quote:
Get the Foxwell NT510, $139 - Easily reset adaptations yourself, scan / clear codes yourself, diagnose and test yourself. Resetting the tranny adaptation should help immensely but if it's a bigger issue then you may be looking at a mechatronic rebuild, transmission rebuild or remanufacture, giubo replacement, torque converter replacement, or all of the above. This week BTW, my 750Li is getting "all of the above."

Sent from my LGMP260 using Bimmerfest mobile app
2006 BMW 750Li - Black Saphire Metalic
Old 12-11-2017, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: E65 750i Sport,C5 z51 e46
cool car, I came close to getting an alpina so many times!
e46 328i 18" 335spt whls(sold)
c5vette 6sp,z51,2"drp,19"ccw'sshrt shft,corsa exh,dd nav(sold)
e53 X5 3.0, pna rf,,20"4.6rims.(sold)
e65 750I aw, sprt. 21's,acs pdls,acs rfsplr,mtecs,8k hid(sold)
Srt10 VIPER, 19-20" forged,tune,corsa ex,intake.
w221 S550 amg,dia white,20"s63rims
e70 3.5 aw.mtec,20" 214 whls.
e46 M3vert,6spd,19"HRE,bbk,ext,intke
w222 S550 amg, dia white
Old 12-11-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcamacho View Post
Get the Foxwell NT510, $139 - Easily reset adaptations yourself, scan / clear codes yourself, diagnose and test yourself. Resetting the tranny adaptation should help immensely but if it's a bigger issue then you may be looking at a mechatronic rebuild, transmission rebuild or remanufacture, giubo replacement, torque converter replacement, or all of the above. This week BTW, my 750Li is getting "all of the above."

Thnx for the advise...can similar code readers reset tranny or only this 1?
Old 12-11-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad540 View Post
cool car, I came close to getting an alpina so many times!
thank you...The B7 is such a beast. I had a F01 750il jump in front of me on the 90 degree on ramp to FWY...He was tryng to pull away but I hugged his rear bumper and passed him quite easily with Kickdown in SPORT mode....
Old 12-11-2017, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745i
Quote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you'd probably be better off getting a BMW OBD->USB cable and downloading INPA on your computer. The cable costs $20 on ebay and you can reset anything on INPA. Plus you can use the cable to code the car as well.

I suggest you also get the the low temp thermostat installed as well
Old 12-11-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I considered the software and PC route (keep in mind I am in IT) and decided the hassle, expense, troubleshooting, maintenance, and support with assembling a dedicated computer wasn't something I wanted to deal with. Granted, such a setup is much more robust.

I purchased Carsoft MI6 Worldwide...also a great tool and I can use it on AMY car. It helped me diagnose and repair my Z4 softop...but couldn't register my 2006 750Li battery. I dont recall if it can reset adaptations.

I did some more research and discovered the Foxwell could register my battery, so I bought it on that feature alone. As an added feature it can also reset adaptations...not just transmission adaptations. It made a huge difference but my tranny was too far gone.

In short there may be other self-contained units, but the Foxwell had a good rep in BMW circles, it was reasonably priced, and it does the job and more.

Last edited by PAPER; 12-11-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I considered the software and PC route (keep in mind I am in IT) and decided the hassle, expense, troubleshooting, maintenance, and support with assembling a dedicated computer wasn't something I wanted to deal with. Granted, such a setup is much more robust.

I purchased Carsoft MI6 Worldwide...also a great tool and I can use it on AMY car. It helped me diagnose and repair my Z4 softop...but couldn't register my 2006 750Li battery. I dont recall if it can reset adaptations.

I did some more research and discovered the Foxwell could register my battery, so I bought it on that feature alone. As an added feature it can also reset adaptations...not just transmission adaptations. It made a huge difference but my tranny was too far gone.

In short there may be other self-contained units, but the Foxwell had a good rep in BMW circles, it was reasonably priced, and it does the job and more.

I see my post was edited where reference to an android based BMW OBD2 reader / coding tool was removed.

Is there some bad history? Did i mention an unmentionable? I guess I'll do a quick search.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:41 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: Ford Pinto
Quote:
I see my post was edited where reference to an android based BMW OBD2 reader / coding tool was removed.

Is there some bad history? Did i mention an unmentionable? I guess I'll do a quick search.

you have been sent a private message .
Old 12-11-2017, 07:45 PM

Read it. Responded. Thanks.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search