Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 750Li X-drive
Backseat area squeaking noise

Hey everyone,

I've got a weird squeak that started today in the backseat area of my car. I took my dad to buy a new printer today, and I thought it was the box squeaking in the trunk and thought it would be strange to hear that from the trunk into the car. We got home, took out the printer, but on my way home, same noise. I had my daughters booster seat in there, but took that out too.

The noise sounds like styrofoam rubbing together (much like a sound from a printer or TV box). I've looked everywhere I could think of (ie head rests squeaking on top of seats). I guess I'll have my wife drive me around tomorrow and see if can find where it's coming from. Just thought I'd ask on here and see if anyone else has had a similar sound.
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2009, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 750i
If this car's a-squeakin', don't come a-peekin'!!

I haven't heard any such noises in my car, so I can't help...but I couldn't resist posting the comment above.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: 06 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
Hey everyone,

I've got a weird squeak that started today in the backseat area of my car. I took my dad to buy a new printer today, and I thought it was the box squeaking in the trunk and thought it would be strange to hear that from the trunk into the car. We got home, took out the printer, but on my way home, same noise. I had my daughters booster seat in there, but took that out too.

The noise sounds like styrofoam rubbing together (much like a sound from a printer or TV box). I've looked everywhere I could think of (ie head rests squeaking on top of seats). I guess I'll have my wife drive me around tomorrow and see if can find where it's coming from. Just thought I'd ask on here and see if anyone else has had a similar sound.
i have the same noise!!!! it's fvckin annoying.. so i made an appointment with my SA on friday. At first i thought it was the rear sunshade, which the sound stopped when it;s down. but then it happened a few days ago with the sunshades down so i concluded it;s not the sunshades. It's really annoying. more pronounced when you hit bumps on the roads.

i think it might be cold temperature related.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:04 AM

Yeah, I thought the same thing because we recently drove with my wife and daughter in the back and my wife had all the sunshades up/out, and now the sound is after that. I put up the shade yesterday, but I didn't drive with it up, just down. So maybe I'll try that. I live in MN so we've had VERY cold weather here this winter, and it's actually warmer now, so I don't think it's a cold problem for me. I'll post if I can find where it's coming from.

I think I may have heard it before when the center console was up between the seats. I have always left the console down (because I thought maybe it was the leather squeaking on leather like when the headrests are barely touching the seat tops), but I drove around with it down yesterday, and the noise was still there.

I cannot stand squeaks in cars. It makes my OCD kick in.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:07 PM

Well, I found it!!!! It is the head rest on the center console that is squeaking on the center console. I moved it around up and down, and it stopped making the noise. I'll take it for a spin and see if I'm right, but that was that styrofoam sound I was hearing. Let me know if is the same for you too.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750i
Good work Agent Bunky!!

Maybe you just saved s0ph3aktra a trip to the dealer....
Old 02-23-2009, 04:47 AM

Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
funny, I just got to work and had the same squeak the entire commute. I chalked it up to the cold temps, but I also had some kids in the back seat yesterday and figured it was a water bottle or two tucked into the door pocket. They always play with the center armrest/console which is where I keep my manual. Could be that too.

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li
Old 02-23-2009, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
I have the same problem, and live in FL so i dont think its the cold weather. I'll try the headrest thing, but i dont think its that.

2002 745i
Old 02-23-2009, 07:42 PM

Well, you're right, it's not the headrest per se, but it is the center console. If you open the box and push the inside of it, it's squeaky. I don't know what the inside of the center console is made of, but that's where it's coming from. Whatever frequency(?) the material vibrates at that can be audible to our human ears is what the frequency must match on certain roads or when you hit bumps in certain situations. I put the console down, and haven't heard the noise today, but if you open the cover and push around inside, you can reproduce the sound.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:06 AM

Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
I confirmed for me it was the center console. It was down and when I tap it side to side I reproduced the squeak. Put it back up and all is good.

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li
Old 07-06-2016, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: E66
So what's the fix for this Center console in the rear squeak
Old 07-07-2016, 12:31 AM

Mines still coming from further back. Maybe behind the back seats??
Old 07-07-2016, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 745Li
There's a video that describes the squeaking noise. It comes from the console area that has a ski rack opening.

Check this out at
Old 07-07-2016, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: e65
I have skibag and still have this noise
Old 07-07-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgraph1 View Post
There's a video that describes the squeaking noise. It comes from the console area that has a ski rack opening.

Check this out at
Yep that was it. Thanx for the fix

If any one is interested I had my friend remap my 2006 e66 and it has way more low end power and very punchy off he line. I also put a electic bypass value right infront of the muffler. It now sounds like my Maserati when I hit the button. And drivers like my mustang in the rain. Great for drifting. Yet it's still smooth and luxurious as it ever was. Post video soon.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search