Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Porsche, BMW
New X3? Don't open your door!

I learned something new about my new 2013 X3 today. If you open your door with the car in drive or reverse, it will automatically pop into Park. I've read about half the owner's manual and haven't seen any reference to this. Maybe I'll find this note if I keep reading.

Obviously the concern is that this could cause real damage to a transmission if the car is moving at all.

I had my windows tinted yesterday and am not suppose to open them for three days. So today when I went to work, I remembered I could not lower the window to use my garage access key. I pull up to the card reader and fortunately stopped before opening the door to slide the key out with the door cracked. When I did, and let my foot off the brake, the transmission immediately popped into "Park". So I had to close the door, pull forward until I was in the exact position needed, then open the door.

When I got home, I tested this a couple times and sure enough this "too smart for it's own good" car pops into park if the door is open. I've only tested the drivers side, not the passenger side or any other door. But what immediately came to mind is what if someone is moving when they decide to dump a cup of water out, or what if a passenger does the same thing.

Bottom line is if this happens while the SUV is in motion, you could be looking at real transmission damage. I thought I'd better post this warning. Perhaps some of you can see if your car does the same thing. Obviously try this with the car stopped and slowly let off the brake.
2013 BMW X3 35i
Ads by Google
Old 03-08-2013, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Here's a post about it:
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780308
Apparently only happens with seatbelt unbuckled. From what I can determine, the brakes are applied if over a certain speed, but if stopped and trying to move in reverse, it goes to park. I don't think the transmission would be damaged.

Owner's Manual (p.68):
P is engaged automatically:
* If the safety belt is unbuckled, the driver's door is opened, and the brake pedal is not pressed while the vehicle is stationary and transmission position R or D is engaged.

Last edited by noka; 03-08-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: Porsche, BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
Here's a post about it:
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780308
Apparently only happens with seatbelt unbuckled. From what I can determine, the brakes are applied if over a certain speed, but if stopped and trying to move in reverse, it goes to park. I don't think the transmission would be damaged.

Owner's Manual (p.68):
P is engaged automatically:
* If the safety belt is unbuckled, the driver's door is opened, and the brake pedal is not pressed while the vehicle is stationary and transmission position R or D is engaged.
Thanks for this information. I had not seen this thread. I'll check the Owner's Manual they reference and also give it a try with the seatbelt buckled. I'm glad to hear that over a certain speed only the brakes are applied. I could just envision a grinding sound if someone did this when slowly moving across a parking lot.
2013 BMW X3 35i
Old 03-08-2013, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: x3 sport
found that out today as well while moving it with snow on the window
Old 03-08-2013, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
All BMW's work that way. It is not a big deal.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 03-09-2013, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X-3 35
Note also that if you are raising the window on the door and you open the door, the window will stop raising. Small item, not sure of the logic there but obviously its a built in safety feature.