Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-03-2012, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0
04 3.0 x3 drive shaft fAilure

The other day, I started to hear clunk..clunk (continously) noise. It was more audible around 5-10ks and very much do when I turned to the right at that speed. I could still hear a bit if the noise on higher speeds, but faintly. I stopped and the next morning, took it to my local BMW dealer. They checked and said the drive shaft failed and they will have to order the parts and two weeks wait period. No cost out of my pocket as the vehicle was still under statutory warranty; had bought it second hand from the dealer 2 months back.

There were no warning lights..nothing. The dealer said the shaft collapsed and they have no idea why! It has got 106k's on it.. I am waiting to hear once they take a further look.

Any previous known issues? Is there something that I should ask the dealer in specific? We're any warning lights supposed to come on? I am not 100% clear as to what a drive shaft collapse means..the dealer wasn't good at explaining either..how can the vehicle continue to drive if it collapsed..by the way, the noise appeared to be from the front if the vehicle..

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.
Ads by Google
Old 09-03-2012, 09:47 PM

anyone...any opinions? Seen/heard of this before ?
Old 09-04-2012, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: 04 X3 3.0i, 04 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashbeem View Post
The other day, I started to hear clunk..clunk (continously) noise. It was more audible around 5-10ks and very much do when I turned to the right at that speed. I could still hear a bit if the noise on higher speeds, but faintly.
There were no warning lights..nothing. The dealer said the shaft collapsed and they have no idea why!
Any previous known issues? Is there something that I should ask the dealer in specific?
I'd have to see photos and/or poke around under our X3 to figure exactly what the issue might be. Many BMW's have failures at the 'guibos', rubber-puck driveshaft connectors that dampen some sound / vibration; another common failure point is for multi-piece driveshafts to have a 'center support bearing' that deteriorates and lets the two jointed sections flop around (I'm very, very familiar with that noise but not from a BMW).

Long story short, you've got some decent mileage and especially with a reasonably warm climate, I can see one of those two components above aging a bit... if they're fixing it and not charging, and the problem's completely gone after, I wouldn't worry too much myself. Also, it's pretty hard to attach instrumentation to those parts (and they're relatively simple / easy to fix), so no warning lights wouldn't surprise me.

There are some other threads on the board that say worn rear diff bushings can cause some clunk action and no warning lights - you may want to search / poke around a bit. Also, never hurts to have a dealer / shop put your car on a lift and show you exactly what they want you to pay them for...
Old 09-10-2012, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0si 2007
Smile

Had the same problem last month, they replaced the driveshaft and the Guibo, replaced a seal in the rear diff and adding diff oil to OK level. All on warranty (except the diff oil and seal) for me either.

X3 2007 3.0si,
71457miles on it

I dont't want to scare you off but since 2 months, I visited the garage 5 times:

-Radiator fans failed (under warranty)
-Driveshaft + guibo
-Front suspension right shock leaking (changed both sides under warranty), rear left coil spring broken, on warranty too
-and leaving the dealer, now I have a vibration coming from the front when accelerating and steering vibrates so much... scary!... have an apointement tomorrow to fix this new issue...
-the rear exhaust is doing some rattle, 1000$ CAD, not under warranty. Will cut the rubber hose to clear the problem as descibed in this great forum ;o)

My warranty ends in 2013... i'm nervous! But at this rate all the parts will be replaced so it will be almost a brand new X3...

Last edited by simplex; 09-10-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:45 PM

Thanks Simplex, hope my list is not going to be that big! But I have got warranty on it for another 3 years...again, hope not to use it often! Apparantly, my vehicle has been fixed; I will have to ask what they exactly fixed when i pick up the vehicle !
Old 09-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Last Thursday I experienced a mild clicking as I made right turns. Clicking diminished when I straightened out after the turn and went away completely when I made left turns.

I immediately scheduled a service appointment but by the time my appointment came up the clicking had gone away. SA said they couldn't diagnose it without the sound. But I'm wondering whether I might have the beginnings of some sort of driveshaft issue.

I'll ask to have the drive components inspected next time it's in the shop. I'm still under CPO warranty for another 8 months.