Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
iPhone and iTunes Match -- where is my music?

Just picked up a 2013 328i Sport on Thursday and decided to get the iPhone cradle.

When I pull up my iPhone to play music all I see are the few songs I have downloaded to the iPhone, not all the songs available via iTunes Match. Anyone else see this and/or what am I doing wrong (could be RTFM which I haven't done)? Or is this a "known feature" of the iPhone support?

FWIW, I have "Use Cellular Data" enabled -- I have too much music so typically just stream from iTunes and I'm too lazy to just load what I want to listen to onto the iPhone (which bites me when I have to fly)...

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2012, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 328i xDrive Sport
I am having the same problem but I am using the 30 pin cord and center USB port. Another wrinkle to the problem is if I open the music app on my iPhone 4s while it is plugged into my car it say my iTunes Match subscription is expired and it won't reconnect until I get out of the car for a few minutes.

Does anyone have a solutions? Just bought the car 3 days ago and this has been bugging me ever since.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i F30 M-Sport
iPhone 5 via USB cable won't show all my music available via iTunes Match (turned on in iPhone settings to show all) - is this a known issue? Ouch.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Did all of you just pick up your car?

I'm wondering whether you all have the same version of iDrive that has some sort of bug in it.

Folks with earlier versions may not have it.

When I picked up my e90, a bunch of us had a defect in which the sound system would randomly jump from the iPod over to the radio. It was easily fixed, but it seemed like everyone that had their cars built at the same approximate time had it. There were several threads on it. People with earlier builds didn't have the problem.

Last edited by krash; 12-30-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:07 PM

I can see about a dealer-level update.

I did the iDrive update that can be downloaded from BMW online and put on a USB stick - got latest version and that did help with all of the text notification connectivity - works fine. But I'm still without luck as far as showing my whole library. Only three recent songs show...

And yes, just picked up car. Apparently it is a week 38 Munich build.

Last edited by akaMomo; 12-30-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:29 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
It's not a bug.

Apple has not configured the iPhone and iTunes Match to work via Bluetooth and/or USB in the manner needed for iDrive.

My friend in California has the same problem, took my advice and loaded up an old beater iPod Touch with physical copies of the song files (you can download them from iTunes Match on your notebook) until it gets worked out.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 12-30-2012, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
It's not a bug.

Apple has not configured the iPhone and iTunes Match to work via Bluetooth and/or USB in the manner needed for iDrive.

My friend in California has the same problem, took my advice and loaded up an old beater iPod Touch with physical copies of the song files (you can download them from iTunes Match on your notebook) until it gets worked out.

BJ
I noticed the same thing. Get the 160GB Classic. That's what I have. So if I need all my library--I'm good to go.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:55 PM

Mein Auto: a car
Hi,

I have a related question. I don't use iTunes Match. All my songs are stored on my iPhone. Will there be any problem streaming my music via bluetooth? Unfortunately, i dont have an old beater ipod as the iPhone is the first and only apple product i have ever owned.

2013 328i Sedan | ULEV N20 | M Sport Line | Estoril Blue II | Black Dakota Leather | Premium Package |
Technology Package | Driver Assistance Package | Dynamic Handling Package | Lighting Package |
Harmon Kardon Surround Sound | Sport Automatic Transmission with Shift Paddles | Anti Theft Alarm |
Port install: BMW M Performance Exhaust |
Old 12-31-2012, 02:23 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkapdolee View Post
Hi,

I have a related question. I don't use iTunes Match. All my songs are stored on my iPhone. Will there be any problem streaming my music via bluetooth? Unfortunately, i dont have an old beater ipod as the iPhone is the first and only apple product i have ever owned.
You can stream Bluetooth just fine. However, you cannot be plugged in with the cable into USB port simultaneously.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: a car
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
You can stream Bluetooth just fine. However, you cannot be plugged in with the cable into USB port simultaneously.
Thanks,

I won't be using USB anyways. Good to know it works.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkapdolee View Post
Thanks,

I won't be using USB anyways. Good to know it works.

Streaming your music kills your battery, so you likely will need the USB port eventually, like on a lengthy trip.

Note that if you wish to charge your iPhone as you are streaming via Bluetooth you'll have to use the powered cigarette lighter socket ahead of the cup holders for that purpose. Get a low-profile Belkin USB adapter and the lid will close when not in use. As stated by EddieB, plugging the iPhone into the USB port in the armrest will shut off Bluetooth audio.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 12-31-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

Streaming your music kills your battery, so you likely will need the USB port eventually, like on a lengthy trip.

Note that if you wish to charge your iPhone as you are streaming via Bluetooth you'll have to use the powered cigarette lighter socket ahead of the cup holders for that purpose. Get a low-profile Belkin USB adapter and the lid will close when not in use. As stated by EddieB, plugging the iPhone into the USB port in the armrest will shut off Bluetooth audio.

BJ
Nice tip, thanks BJ.

I have to say I'm (unrealistically perhaps) hopeful that this will be sorted out in software as well before long. It seems to me with the latest iDrive update that the issue lays on the iOS side and properly implementing the whole "show all my music" part of iTunes Match. There have been a lot of iTunes updates lately and work getting this implemented decently so you never know. It'd be a nice surprise to have it work as imagined.

I find it somehow a little bit more frustrating that there seem to be so many different ways to incorporate the iPhone into playing music yet none of them are quite right.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaMomo View Post
Nice tip, thanks BJ.

I have to say I'm (unrealistically perhaps) hopeful that this will be sorted out in software as well before long. It seems to me with the latest iDrive update that the issue lays on the iOS side and properly implementing the whole "show all my music" part of iTunes Match. There have been a lot of iTunes updates lately and work getting this implemented decently so you never know. It'd be a nice surprise to have it work as imagined.

I find it somehow a little bit more frustrating that there seem to be so many different ways to incorporate the iPhone into playing music yet none of them are quite right.
Agreed, but it's on Apple's side, not BMW's so there's a chance that a fix can come quickly. Right now, their Remote UI does not allow iTunes Match functionality, the physical files must be downloaded and on the device. From Apple:

Remote User Interface

Some car stereos and other accessories that connect with a 30-pin Dock Connector allow access to the iOS device's user interface directly from your car stereo. The following may occur when using a remote user interface:

1 Some head units support displaying track information from your iOS device. If your iOS device displays the proper track information but your head unit does not, please contact your automotive manufacturer or the manufacturer of your aftermarket head unit for additional assistance. [This is not an issue for iDrive. BJ]

2 When using the remote user interface, if available with your car stereo, ensure that you enter commands through the car stereo and not through Voice Control. [This is actually an iDrive benefit re Siri. BJ]

3 While using the remote user interface, you will not be able to play songs from iTunes Match that have not been downloaded to your iOS device. [This is your issue. BJ]

4 You cannot use the remote user interface to play content in an iTunes Match playlist unless all content in the playlist has been downloaded. [This is your issue. BJ]

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3581?v...S&locale=en_US

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 12-31-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:04 PM

Awesome, thanks for posting that BJ.

Yeah if this is a known issue that Apple is reporting on, fingers crossed for next iOS incremental fix update.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for posting that BJ.

Yeah if this is a known issue that Apple is reporting on, fingers crossed for next iOS incremental fix update.
Well, I'm not sure if this is an Apple issue or an Apple strategy.

It's entirely possible that until 4G networks spread and improve that Apple won't allow iTunes Match to ever work in a car or on a plane, might just be designed to work on a desktop over your in home wi-fi.

I have 20,000 songs between MP3 rips I did years ago or M4A downloads I purchased via iTunes. I have no need for iTunes Match because I had the foresight to do my old MP3 rips at a high bitrate, I've always been a stickler for proper naming conventions, always used high quality album art. I have 2 Apple TV's and 2 iHome wi-fi speakers to stream the collection to over wi-fi in my house, and use the Apple Remote app on my iPhone to control the volume of each. For my car, it's just easier to use an iPod Touch to sync the whole collection to, Playlists and all, and be done with it. I don't need another mechanism for my music collection; once you organize everything in iTunes, all the other devices become a breeze.

BJ

Old 01-02-2013, 07:31 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
I have never used/trusted iTunes Match for exactly these kinds of reasons. Physical copies thanks. I have a 64gb iPhone so even though I have 30GB of music on it that leaves me with plenty of room for other stuff.

I just don't trust all this cloud bull****. I still buy my movies on Blu-ray and rip them to MKV files for viewing on my various devices, because I refuse to "buy" a movie that I don't own a physical copy of.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:23 PM

iOS update 6.1, out now, seems to fix this. Just tried it and my whole iTunes library shows up in the car via match (phone connected via USB).
Old 01-30-2013, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 335i coupe
Quote:
iOS update 6.1, out now, seems to fix this. Just tried it and my whole iTunes library shows up in the car via match (phone connected via USB).
That would be great news.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:27 PM
Software Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
I can confirm this. My entire library of music in iCloud is available through the control display and heads up display without the need to download.

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery