Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: E65 735i, Ducati1199
Disaster...Advice welcome!!!

Finally got my car back together after the Alternator bracket/Valve cover job.
Hooked up battery and noticed a big spark when i connected the neg terminal.
Put key in, idrive etc fired up as normal then noticed the gear selector lights were all flashing. hit the start button and nothing, got all the dreaded messages, transmission failsafe, fault in engine etc...Had a look under the hood and saw smoke!!
Ran to the back of the car at the speed of many antelope and disconnected the battery again.
traced the smoke/heat to coil packs 6 and 7.
Tried to removed the coils but firmly melted in place.
so....Valve cover off again and had to snap the 2 melted coils to get the cover off without snapping the eccentric shaft sensor.
IVM module has 3 blown 20A fuses F03,F04 and F07.
F03 and F04 are for each bank of coils. All other coils are good.
F07 goes to the mechatronix.
Had all the engine electronics disconnected when i did the valve cover job ( IVM,VVT and DME modules) plugs are keyed so can't go wrong there.
Only thing i've found is the socket connector for the eccentric shaft sensor was full of oil...and possibly shorted out. Something i missed to check during re-assembly.
Have had the alternator off as well but cant really go wrong with hooking that back up either.
Seriously hoping this is my problem...awaiting delivery of 2 new coils to continue.
Car was running fine before i started these jobs so cant think where else i could've gone wrong..Battery was disconnected completely before i removed anything at the start of the job.

Last edited by D4hwt; 09-03-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
WOW, Thats pretty dramatic!

I too have had oil in the eccentric shaft sensor connectors, No idea how it got in there! but it threw my car into limp mode with one bank out! Clean the oil out with some solvent, brake cleaner etc...

Error messages sound like they are due to fuses blown and modules not powered up.

You need to trace the cause of the original problem before you power it up again, go back and double check everything you have taken off, some cables may be pinched and shorting out. Check the connection on the alternator and starter, There definitely seems to be something wrong somewhere.

Have a look through the circuit diagrams and see if there is something common to all the fuses that have blown, this should help trace the cause of the fault.

Stuart

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 09-03-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:30 PM

Yeah Thanks Stuart, i have been trolling through the wds drawings but cant really see a proper connection between the eccentric shaft sensor and the IVM, just hope i've not fried something too expensive..Im gonna power things back up gradually once i get the new coils and see how it goes...fingers crossed the ESS being shorted was the problem...i'll let you know how it progresses....
On the other hand That DB9 is looking like the preferred option now!!!!
Old 09-07-2012, 03:59 PM

well to sum this up..my 735 is uneconomical to repair....... so its being sold for parts...Devastated but hey ho..life goes on.
Had a go in a DB9 and a 911 turbo and both great cars...911 turbo is seriously quick, close to my 1199..DB9 is really nice but a bit too old mannish....so...i have bought a wildcard!!!
Never even thought i would've ended up with one of these but drove one and fell in love with it..and a heck of a lot cheaper than what i wanted but that wasn't the reason i bought it.
Nissan.....yes Nissan..... 370Z....apologies but i suits my needs for now...and it's a drivers car!!!
Bye all...i may be back with a 7 in the future....
Old 09-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 750Li
Don't feel bad man! 370z's are awesome! I mean I would have much rather seen you in a 911 or a DB9 but still, great choice

2006 BMW 750Li - Style 128's with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Magnaflow quad exhaust, ACS Roof Spoiler, ACS Aluminum Pedals, Umnitza LED License Plate Lights, Beltronics V995

1997 BMW 540i - E39 M5 wheels, straight piped quad exhaust, CAI, Dinan performance chip, H&R springs

2002 Lexus LX470 - Window Tint (20%)

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE - Window Tint (30% front, 15% rear), LED interior lighting

2006 Mercedes-Benz S500 - AMG Sports Package - SOLD