Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:59 PM
the cleanest1

Mein Auto: E66
cracked windshield replacement cost ???????????????????

Anyone ever got their windshield busted or cracked?
I was driving on my way home from vacation and on the freeway there was a dump truck, not even in my lane, rock hit my windshield very and now i got a crack like 6 - 8 inches long.
How much will it cost to replace?
I got full coverage on my car and my deductible is 500.
Just wondering if its even worth to go through the insurance or not?
Old 09-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
I have had 2 replaced. Luckily in Kentucky insurance is required to replace it without even charging a deductible. This is a state law here for safety reasons. The cost was around $1000.00. Check your state law but I think only Florida and Kentucky replace for free.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 2003 745LI
Here are your options.... If your insurance covers Windsheild repair, you will pay whatever your deductible is... Windsheild from BMW for 745 run $2000..... Safelite auto ..... $475 to $500... Safelite will come to you and do the service.

I suggest letting BMW install it and pay your deductible. Let Safelite be your second choice...

Hope this helps !!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Major

Mein Auto: 745 li
Good question. Here we need to buy insurance for the windshield separately from the car insurance. Deductible is only 100$ BUT they go with aftermarket windshield which is crap(in my opinion) i went through couple windshields ( not on a 7 tho) and i figured its best to get OEM, will save money in a long run. Its up to u man what u wanna do. I wouldn't want non bmw glass on my car but its just me. I know how u feel tho. Its sucks. And they question u 1st ask urself is- why me? And what are the chances
Old 09-03-2012, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw E64/5, Maserati GT
Free here in florida

650i sport hud ac schnitzer eibach resognator delete m6 quads akebonos
Old 09-03-2012, 08:12 PM
the cleanest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakaveliFaison View Post
Free here in florida
oh wow dude i see you made some changes to your car! got any pix?

I was driving from florida and everything was very good until that rock hit. Atleast it didnt happen while going there, it would ruin my vacation.

Im thinking about maybe leaving until i get ready so sell it because what if it happens again and then that would really suck.

If i got through the insurance company will anything go on the record. Like carfax will be able to see it? I was gonna sell this car at the end of the year.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Major

Carfax will see windshield repair
Old 09-04-2012, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: '07 750i BMW; '03 Z4 BMW
Replaced the windshield in my '07 two years ago. BMW quoted $1900 but Tristate Auto Glass did it for $1500 using an OEM windshield (had the BMW logo). Be sure that whatever route you go that the replacement already has the prism (for the rain sensor)already installed and that it has both the heating elements at the bottom and the "shadow" aroung the edges is between the glass and not glued to it.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:34 PM
the cleanest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
Replaced the windshield in my '07 two years ago. BMW quoted $1900 but Tristate Auto Glass did it for $1500 using an OEM windshield (had the BMW logo). Be sure that whatever route you go that the replacement already has the prism (for the rain sensor)already installed and that it has both the heating elements at the bottom and the "shadow" aroung the edges is between the glass and not glued to it.
ok will watch out for it to make sure they dont quote me 2K and spend 500 for some cheap replica.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 745I
get a 5 series windshield, it costs a lot less, get the aftermarket one, there are two types, dont get the cheap one, get the one that has the same quality as OEM but you will pay a lot less. also you will need a smaller mirror cover.

I got mine installed yesterday with 50% tint. cost me around $300

Last edited by sak_916; 09-04-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw E64/5, Maserati GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing745 View Post
oh wow dude i see you made some changes to your car! got any pix?

I was driving from florida and everything was very good until that rock hit. Atleast it didnt happen while going there, it would ruin my vacation.

Im thinking about maybe leaving until i get ready so sell it because what if it happens again and then that would really suck.

If i got through the insurance company will anything go on the record. Like carfax will be able to see it? I was gonna sell this car at the end of the year.
Yea, I did. I will have more pix on thursday when I get my car back from paint.

650i sport hud ac schnitzer eibach resognator delete m6 quads akebonos
Old 09-04-2012, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750 Li
I had safelite repair by windshield. Had rain sensor, and heated for under $500. I could care less about having the bmw logo. No leaks and did it at my work in less than 40 mins. Top notch for sure

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
Old 09-05-2012, 04:37 PM
the cleanest1

Thanks for all the help guys.

I didnt know 5 series is same windshield. Its cool but id rather stick with the real stuff.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Major

Is it actually the same ? How can it be if the car is not that wide
Old 09-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Major

Im going to measure and compare
Old 09-06-2012, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 745I
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***CCCP*** View Post
Im going to measure and compare
I have a 5 series windshield installed bro, its the same thing. OEM costs too much, I got the aftermarket one there are two tipes and the expensive one is the same quality as the OEM. cost me around $250 tinted and installed
Old 09-07-2012, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745Li
Hi. I am in the auto glass business here in Washington. I would recommend getting either the original BMW windshield or the Pilkington brand windshield. Pilkington is the OEM for it and it is exactly the same without the logo and usually cheaper. Either way you are going to exceed $500, so you should make the comprehensive claim. Comp claims are no-fault and do not go against your rates unless you file multiple claims in a year. Also, I would never have my BMW windshield replaced mobile. Find a good local shop that has been around awhile and ask them how many BMW, Mercedes, etc they do. A good source to start with for finding a reputable shops is www.safewindshields.com or www.iga.org. They can refer a quality shop in your area. Good luck!
Old 09-07-2012, 06:23 PM
the cleanest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtail745 View Post
Hi. I am in the auto glass business here in Washington. I would recommend getting either the original BMW windshield or the Pilkington brand windshield. Pilkington is the OEM for it and it is exactly the same without the logo and usually cheaper. Either way you are going to exceed $500, so you should make the comprehensive claim. Comp claims are no-fault and do not go against your rates unless you file multiple claims in a year. Also, I would never have my BMW windshield replaced mobile. Find a good local shop that has been around awhile and ask them how many BMW, Mercedes, etc they do. A good source to start with for finding a reputable shops is www.safewindshields.com or www.iga.org. They can refer a quality shop in your area. Good luck!

Thanks alot, really appreciate that bro
Old 09-07-2012, 10:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
I thought the windshield was made by ppg which is what is on the original with bmw logo. I just had mine replaced from safelite and i request ppg and got it but the install was / is still terrible. I been back two times for my windshield nozzle on passanger side that broke and the shops customer service stinks. I had to call them yesterday and they said they just got parts day before from dealer. They also broke the passanger molding and had to order a so called clip kit for it to seat properly. Maybe thus safelite stinks. But do yourself a favor go elsewhere that is experience in bmw.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Bimmer App
Old 04-22-2013, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtail745 View Post
Actually I totally agree with this guy. I have BMW 650i 2008 and today I went to the BMW dealership to get a quote for my car windshield replacement. The dealer gave me a quote of $1700. I simply told him that this will be too much for me and then he told me to go to the shop which BMW dealership has contracted to replace the windshield for all BMW cars. So I went to that guy with the hope that he will give me some cheaper quote for OEM glass. The Guy told me that there are 2 types of windshields which they use for all BMW cars for that dealership. 1 is OEM windshield which has BMW logo and other one is Pilkington windshield which is same as OEM windshield with same quality but without BMW logo. He said OEM (with BMW logo) will cost $1226 and Pilkington one will cost $620. I asked him why is there a huge difference in amount between OEM and Pilkington one if they both have same quality. He said OEM is expensive beacuse it has BMW logo and thats it. There is no other difference. So I think I will go with Pilkington one.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
cracked windshield replacement cost ???????????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEXAMILLION View Post
Here are your options.... If your insurance covers Windsheild repair, you will pay whatever your deductible is... Windsheild from BMW for 745 run $2000..... Safelite auto ..... $475 to $500... Safelite will come to you and do the service.

I suggest letting BMW install it and pay your deductible. Let Safelite be your second choice...

Hope this helps !!!!
+1 go through your insurance bro!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-23-2013, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: E65 745I prod.>01/04
I asked my insurance company who they recommend. Went to the company told them I was refer by my insurance; gave me discount I paid $700-900. This was 2-3years ago.