Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Old 09-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
Yes, but I think its safe that Honda has mastered the 4 banger. I would buy a Japanese 4 banger, a german one... not so much. Maybe my perception is incorrect but I can tell you it is a shared delusion.
You do know the original M3 was a 4 cylinder, right?
Old 09-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Custom User

Mein Auto: X1
Quote:
Yes, but I think its safe that Honda has mastered the 4 banger. I would buy a Japanese 4 banger, a german one... not so much. Maybe my perception is incorrect but I can tell you it is a shared delusion.
4 cylinder BMW's have been present in most world markets for many years. They know what they're doing.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
People currently in power like to tell you what you can eat, drink, and drive. They know what's best for you. I think car companies should be allowed to make any car and let people decide what they want. What would happen if CAFE was scrapped ? Lots of folks would still buy hybrids like the Prius but others that weren't concerned about mpg would buy cars and SUVs that don't get good mileage. Everybody would be happy except the politicians that know what's best for you.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )
Old 09-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 MB CLS550
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren View Post
People currently in power like to tell you what you can eat, drink, and drive. They know what's best for you. I think car companies should be allowed to make any car and let people decide what they want. What would happen if CAFE was scrapped ? Lots of folks would still buy hybrids like the Prius but others that weren't concerned about mpg would buy cars and SUVs that don't get good mileage. Everybody would be happy except the politicians that know what's best for you.
Because everybody pollutes the same air and consumes the same natural resources that are not infinite. In the same sense manufacturers should have no standards to enter a market (FCC, FDA etc.), ponzi schemes should be okay and everybody should be on their own to decide what they do no matter hiw it affects others as long as they have money - including our neighbor parking a couple of F16 at their yard. In other words regulation through governing bodies (this is what law is) within a democratic framework, structure, willingness to cooperate with each other, are reasons we can currently drive our BMWs - the reason our civilization was able to develop them.

Past:
2013 MB CLS550
2011 E92 335ix
2012 F10 550i
2009 E92 M3
2008 E92 M3
Old 09-10-2012, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 z4 28i
well said
Old 09-10-2012, 05:31 PM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Anyone know the production numbers of 328 vs 335? I would suspect that the 328 makes up a larger percentage of 3 series made. Also, no new coupe - that has to be affecting sales with a pending redesign.

As for 4 cylinders... If i wanted a 4 cylinder - I would buy a Honda - they have more experience with 4 bangers anyway.

Hopefully they will continue to improve the sixes.
BMW's been building 4 cylinder engines for as long as, if not longer than Honda has. BMW sells cars around the world - not just in the US, they've offered 4 cylinder engines in those markets for generations, turbos too.

In fact, most engines built by BMW since its inception have been 4's, not 6's.

So it ain't the "feds" ...

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 09-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3 Lux Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavrs View Post
Because everybody pollutes the same air and consumes the same natural resources that are not infinite. In the same sense manufacturers should have no standards to enter a market (FCC, FDA etc.), ponzi schemes should be okay and everybody should be on their own to decide what they do no matter hiw it affects others as long as they have money - including our neighbor parking a couple of F16 at their yard. In other words regulation through governing bodies (this is what law is) within a democratic framework, structure, willingness to cooperate with each other, are reasons we can currently drive our BMWs - the reason our civilization was able to develop them.
^| This
Old 09-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavrs View Post
So because somebody with money might park a couple of F16s in their yard translates into allowing our "leaders" to tell us that we have to drive a car that gets 50 miles to the gallon ? Where do I get to say that the people that spent us into a 16 trillion dollar debt should be in jail ? Those are the folks that you think have the judgment to tell us what we should drink, eat, and drive.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )
Old 09-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Quote:
So because somebody with money might park a couple of F16s in their yard translates into allowing our "leaders" to tell us that we have to drive a car that gets 50 miles to the gallon ? Where do I get to say that the people that spent us into a 16 trillion dollar debt should be in jail ? Those are the folks that you think have the judgment to tell us what we should drink, eat, and drive.
Can you remember how this massive deficit started?
Old 09-10-2012, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 MB CLS550
Quote:
No clue what the logic behind you moving from regulating mpg to the deficit is but seriously it makes no sense.

To answer this completely separate comment without getting into politics that do not belong here, if you are not happy with something you exercise your right to vote given to you by the rest of the society you live in.

Past:
2013 MB CLS550
2011 E92 335ix
2012 F10 550i
2009 E92 M3
2008 E92 M3
Old 09-10-2012, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegandalf View Post
Can you remember how this massive deficit started?
Yeah, it started in the 1780s and has gotten worse ever since... Lol

I drive BMW for performance, luxury and handling. If I want an efficient 4 cylinder I will go with Honda that has been doing since in the 1950s.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Quote:

I drive BMW for performance, luxury and handling. If I want an efficient 4 cylinder I will go with Honda that has been doing since in the 1950s.
LOL!!!!

Back on subject: I mostly agree with your comments, but I wouldn't just categorize all 4 cylinder engines as lacking performance... I still have to test drive the F30 328 but a few years back I drove a 320d in Northern France and that thing was way more lively than I expeted!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegandalf View Post
LOL!!!!

Back on subject: I mostly agree with your comments, but I wouldn't just categorize all 4 cylinder engines as lacking performance... I still have to test drive the F30 328 but a few years back I drove a 320d in Northern France and that thing was way more lively than I expeted!
Good point, i definitele was not talking about diesels... I don't even know how to spell deisels... LOL
Old 09-11-2012, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:

I agree 100%. At the point that cars become just another appliance watch the sales of new cars bottom out. If it is just to get you from point A to point B, why not buy a 4 cyl reliable car, change the oil once or twice a year and keep it for 200k or 15 years? If there is no enjoyment or fun factor in the equation why would you bother buying a new one every 3-5 years? N4S
Old 09-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:

When is the last time you've driven a 4-cyl Honda Accord? There is no comparison to the 4-cyl 328i. The Honda is lethargic at best, especially when in motion and you want to accelerate. It doesn't really get any better mpg (combined 26 vs 27). It is cheaper in just about every way and boasts a larger engine with much worse performance. There is nothing to love about the Accord, other than that it is relatively cheap, sits 4 adults, has a large trunk and is probably a bullet-proof car for the most part up to 100,000 miles and beyond. If that gets you excited go get one.

In short, I think you jest comparing the 328i to a Honda. The 328i has get up and go, premium feel, and handles itself well. The Accord is an economy people mover. They SHOULD be different cars, since they DRIVE like night and day difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 09-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
When is the last time you've driven a 4-cyl Honda Accord? There is no comparison to the 4-cyl 328i. The Honda is lethargic at best, especially when in motion and you want to accelerate. It doesn't really get any better mpg (combined 26 vs 27). It is cheaper in just about every way and boasts a larger engine with much worse performance. There is nothing to love about the Accord, other than that it is relatively cheap, sits 4 adults, has a large trunk and is probably a bullet-proof car for the most part up to 100,000 miles and beyond. If that gets you excited go get one.

In short, I think you jest comparing the 328i to a Honda. The 328i has get up and go, premium feel, and handles itself well. The Accord is an economy people mover. They SHOULD be different cars, since they DRIVE like night and day difference.
I can attest to your comments! The i4 engine of my current (and soon to be former) Accord (2010) takes a long time to get the car moving (car is heavy and the torque kicks in pretty late in the game....) They might have improved this for the 2013 model, but the numbers are nowhere close what a 328i (even without the sport treatment) can deliver.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post

You are comparing turbo to non-turbo which is fine since when I say Honda I really mean Asain brands. For example Hyundai 4 Cylinder turbo with 274 HP, 269 LB of torque and 24/35 MPG.

Come on boys the Jap/Koreans have mastered that market due to their market conditions. Just like Germans have mastered road handling at high speeds thanks to their market conditions which include the design of their highways.

Last edited by miamiboyca; 09-11-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
You are comparing turbo to non-turbo which is fine since when I say Honda I really mean Asain brands. For example Hyundai 4 Cylinder turbo with 274 HP, 269 LB of torque and 24/35 MPG.

Come on boys the Jap/Koreans have mastered that market due to their market conditions. Just like Germans have mastered road handling at high speeds thanks to their market conditions which include the design of their highways.
You're the one that brought up the Honda, not me. :-)

If you're referring to the Sonata, then yes, the engine stats are slightly bumped but we all know engine stats are just part of the equation. The Sonata is slower to 60 mph and there aren't many factory options to get a sporty drive. But then again, the car is also much cheaper (and a much better buy than an Accord in my opinion.)

I still don't understand your aversion to the 4 cyl BMW. As pointed out, BMW has been building these for decades and this is a great engine with a great transmission and yields very good fuel economy. If you want 6 cyls to make you feel better the 335i is still here. Recall even on the latest A4 the consensus is that the 2.0L turbo is the better engine compared to the V6.

Quote:

Last edited by cwinter; 09-11-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
55 times winner in International Engine of the Year awards - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...ne_of_the_Year

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454
Old 09-11-2012, 01:43 PM

I thin you are missing my point. To me its not worth it to buy a BMW with a 4 cylinder. If I have to settle for a 4 cylinder than I might as well get a Honda. This is just my opinion.

No one has to agree as obviously no one is going to change my mind.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischeung View Post
55 times winner in International Engine of the Year awards - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...ne_of_the_Year
Most of those wins are not for the 4 cylinders...
Old 09-11-2012, 02:28 PM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
I thin you are missing my point. To me its not worth it to buy a BMW with a 4 cylinder. If I have to settle for a 4 cylinder than I might as well get a Honda. This is just my opinion.

It's been repeatedly pointed out to you BMW's been building 4 cylinder engines of very high merit and performance for generations. You don't want to hear it for some reason.

However, there are generally a lot of knowledgable people here wrt BMW, so speaking as you do makes you seem as if you really don't know or understand the marque.

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 09-11-2012, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
Quote:
You're missing the point that most people think that your opinion is outdated and prejudiced, and that you have not provided any recent objective, relevant fact or evidence to the contrary, which is what most people have been trying to present.

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454

Last edited by chrischeung; 09-11-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:

This reminds me of something a co-worker said of his son pondering a vehicle he might get once he turns 16. He really wants a truck and said he wouldn't be caught dead in a mini van, he'd rather walk. Understandable sentiment, but my co-worker told him: "Son, you haven't been walking enough."

You haven't been driving a Honda Accord enough, apparently. I still remember mine.

Quote:
Old 09-11-2012, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: MINI
BMW started selling 4-cylinder engines in North America 50 years ago.