Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 09-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
MK7 VW Golf pictures leaked (TDI is coming to USA)

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-...pics-leak.html

This is supposed to be almost 200 lb lighter than the MK6
Ads by Google
Old 09-04-2012, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
Sweet love that with the interior

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App
Old 09-04-2012, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel61 View Post
Sweet love that with the interior

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App
+2 amigo, I concur.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Looks great: a tasteful evolution. Looks like a worthy successor to the Mk6.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:32 AM

I guess I will show it to my girlfriend she needs a new vehicle her daughter has screwed her over on her car, ruined a nice a $35k Mitsu Galant Fully Loaded and looks like its been to IRAQ and Afghanistan tours back to back!! i know she will love it!!
Old 09-05-2012, 05:45 AM

220 lb LESS than the MK6 Golf. VW is on a roll
Old 09-05-2012, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Must have been the VAG acquisition of Porsche that inspired them to greater things! Now then, what about a diesel Tiguan, or a diesel Passat wagon?
Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 AM

@UncleJ Im with you what about the AMAROK?

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...otor-show.html
Old 09-05-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
@UncleJ Im with you what about the AMAROK?

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...otor-show.html
VW went on record to say that due to the US' "chicken tax," it would have to be priced almost as much as a Touareg. They need to sell it at Tacoma prices, not high-end Tundra prices, so it isn't coming to the US. Sad, because a little TDI truck would be awesome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax
Old 09-07-2012, 07:20 AM

If they assembled the Amarok in Tenn at the new Passat plant there would be no chicken tax. I wonder if they assembled it in one of their plants in Mexico the tax would apply because of NAFTA? Audi is moving some production to Mexico too. In any case a light diesel truck like the Amarok, Nissan Patrol, or HiLux would be a good seller here IMHO.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
chicken tax?

what is chicken tax please?
Old 09-07-2012, 07:39 AM

@UncleJ I am with you the AMAROK would be a blast to own!!! BTW they would be using the same freaking 2 liter TDI engine that the Golf and Jetta uses anyway so WTF is the problem with these guys!?

Last edited by Axel61; 09-07-2012 at 07:40 AM. Reason: more info
Old 09-07-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
If they assembled the Amarok in Tenn at the new Passat plant there would be no chicken tax. I wonder if they assembled it in one of their plants in Mexico the tax would apply because of NAFTA? Audi is moving some production to Mexico too. In any case a light diesel truck like the Amarok, Nissan Patrol, or HiLux would be a good seller here IMHO.
Uncle J. There is no chicken tax if VW starts manufacture Amarok in MX because of NAFTA. It sucks that truck is currently being made in Argentina.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
@UncleJ I am with you the AMAROK would be a blast to own!!! BTW they would be using the same freaking 2 liter TDI engine that the Golf and Jetta uses anyway so WTF is the problem with these guys!?
Chicken tax makes it cost prohibitive to own one of this.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Biggest issue is that a 2.0TDI/4motion drivetrain has not been certified for the US and also due to the chicken tax because it is made in Argentina (and EU for their markets).

Since it is a BOF and not unibody, it isn't based on a Passat/Jetta, etc to use an existing chassis to build it in the USA.

Also what I understand from reading tons of articles on the Amarok is that non-US companies struggle to sell pickups here (Tacoma and Tundra don't sell anywhere near domestic levels), so building a separate assembly line in the TN factory is not worth it. If Toyota can't even do it, how can we expect VW.

If anything, they have committed to two major new products to be built in the US, which are going to be based on the US Passat's chassis. Eventually they are going to stop selling the Tiguan and Touareg because they don't make sense for the US market and they cost too much. VW wants to build a smaller RAV4/CRV sized crossover on the Passat platform and then build a larger 3 row Highlander sized crossover to help their sales because they lack CUVs that everyone else has in their lineup. These will be probably offered in the 2.0TDI and 3.0TDI because the VAG lineups already use them.

That being said, I'd love an Amarok, but it would cost too much. VW doesn't nearly have the advantage (in terms of supplier pricing and such) that Toyota can have.

VW's volume primarily comes from Jetta, Golf, and Passat. A pickup truck can't be made cheap enough for profits, which is why a lineup of crossovers for the market is perfect.

Last edited by AutoUnion; 09-07-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoucity View Post
Uncle J. There is no chicken tax if VW starts manufacture Amarok in MX because of NAFTA. It sucks that truck is currently being made in Argentina.
This is true, but the Puebla, MX plant is already running at full capacity with Jetta, Jetta Wagon, and Beetle.

Also in this region is going to be the new Audi plant. Amarok was never made for use in the US market. It was primarily for Australia, South America, and Europe, where the Hilux is popular.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:37 AM

damn chicken ****!!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
damn chicken ****!!
Yup, blame the US government. They feared that the Japanese were going to come in and take over the market. Toyota got around that by building the Tundra and Tacoma here. Hell the Tundra got its own factory in Texas. Both fantastic products, but not sold anywhere as well as the domestics. Truck owners are a loyal bunch.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: e46 ZHP, e90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
220 lb LESS than the MK6 Golf. VW is on a roll
AutoUnion, I just got to ask, but are you paid by VW/Audi to publicize their products on this forum?

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I have never seen anyone on any forum placate and defend another car brand with the the same amount of zeal and exuberance you display, specifically for VW/Audi, here on bimmerfest!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawana View Post
AutoUnion, I just got to ask, but are you paid by VW/Audi to publicize their products on this forum?
Hardly. We are all enthusiasts here and every brand is interesting, especially since the car market is so competitive these days.

I look right thru the "BMW FTW, Audi and MB suck" crap some idiots here spew. Simple as that. If you can't respect what other brands do also, you aren't a true car enthusiast.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:57 AM

100% with you AUtoUnion there are some haters out there that like to spew crap w/o knowing, Im glad you ae one of the few to acknowledge there are other brands out there that are willing to cater their clients, US!! as in we
Old 09-07-2012, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Okay. i read through all of the posts after asking "what is the chicken tax?". Appears that Uncle Sam is protecting the domestic builders from foreign competition strictly on the pickup front. I saw an Amarok on the freeway heading south from Dallas on I-45 with a Mexico plate on it. So, they get them. I'm wondering if one could be brought in and certified from Mexico or Canada (if canada gets them too)? I would think Canadian smog laws would be same as U.S.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Okay. i read through all of the posts after asking "what is the chicken tax?". Appears that Uncle Sam is protecting the domestic builders from foreign competition strictly on the pickup front. I saw an Amarok on the freeway heading south from Dallas on I-45 with a Mexico plate on it. So, they get them. I'm wondering if one could be brought in and certified from Mexico or Canada (if canada gets them too)? I would think Canadian smog laws would be same as U.S.
Can't be bought from Mexico. Best would be if you know someone in Mexico right over the border that you could buy the car and register it there.

If I was going this route, I wouldn't even look at the Amarok. Mexico gets almost every EU-spec car there is. A6 TDI, RS6, everything. I would get something rarer.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:54 AM

Until the domestics fielded a light duty (half ton) diesel pick up the VW would have a market all to themselves with Amarok --- and so would HiLux (and Nissan Patrol) too. Toyota has the diesels for both the Tacoma and Tundra -- but has not certified them for sale here (or Canada). There is a serious market here for a 30+ mpg half ton pickup that is not being served now.

Last edited by UncleJ; 09-09-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35D White
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Until the domestics fielded a light duty (half ton) diesel pick up the VW would have a market all to themselves with Amarok --- and so would HiLux (and Nissan Patrol) too. Toyota has the diesels for both the Tacoma and Tundra -- but has not certified them for sale here (or Canada). There is a serious market here for a 30+ mpg half ton pickup that is not being served now.
I second that, I would love to have a midsize diesel truck.