Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: 1984 BMW 318i
Best fuel, fluids and additives?

Well I'm new to the BMW world and have few questions.

Well i have an 84 318i. What is better a higher octane fuel or the one with the least amount of ethanol?

I know older engines like the m10 prefer 0% ethanol but most higher octane fuels add more ethanol to boost the octane. Anybody know where in Canada one can get unblended or the least blended gasoline?

What about fluids.
What is the best motor oil for an m10 engine? Regular or synthetic? Does still sell their own speciality motor oil? 10w30 is what is in it right now. Plus what about oil additives. I've run Lucas oil stabilizer on an old ford truck for years because it was cold started in -25 plus during winter. That motor has benefited from it ever since cause it still running really well. Is it something you would suggest or well it cause problems that im not aware of.

Best anti freeze? The car has a undyed glycol in it right now i believe. Where could i get the same or it there some better.

Is there any other additives or special products tou like to use for the older cars? Maybe a tip or two a person would like to share?

I enjoy reading you responses. Have fun and Drive safe.
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2012, 07:28 AM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
I always use genuine coolant and distilled water (if you need to dilute). Other brands can have too much phosphate in it. In hot engine conditions the phosphate component can line the inside of the radiator tubes with aluminium phosphate, which is an insulator. Radiator looks and flows perfectly but overheats. I don't use additives in the oil here (see location). Best fuel her is 98oct, not sure about ethanol content but 98 is all I run. Methylated Spirit added to the wash bottle will stop it freezing (havn't had to quantify it though) and helps clean the glass better.