Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528iT
Almost newbie

I'm going to have to replace my 528i touuring soon.

I'v never warmed up to the exterior nor interior of the E61, though it's a great car.

So, if I want lots of interior cargo space, the F07 appears to be the ticket.

A few questions:

1. Is the gas mileage of the 550 really as bad as the EPA numbers suggest (compared to the 535)?

2. Does the Xdrive have hydraulic (non-electric steering), and if so, does it offer better feel than that of the rear wheel drive?

3. I'd love to find a used one with HUD - are they as scarce as hen's teeth?

4. I drove an F07 twice - compared to my E39 it seemed big and awkward as hell to park, given that the back window is a mere letter slot, relatively speaking. Is this something you grow accustomed to (assuming the use of a back-up camera) ?

Thanks all.
Ads by Google
Old 09-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535iX GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger955 View Post
I'm going to have to replace my 528i touuring soon.

I'v never warmed up to the exterior nor interior of the E61, though it's a great car.

So, if I want lots of interior cargo space, the F07 appears to be the ticket.

A few questions:

1. Is the gas mileage of the 550 really as bad as the EPA numbers suggest (compared to the 535)?

2. Does the Xdrive have hydraulic (non-electric steering), and if so, does it offer better feel than that of the rear wheel drive?

3. I'd love to find a used one with HUD - are they as scarce as hen's teeth?

4. I drove an F07 twice - compared to my E39 it seemed big and awkward as hell to park, given that the back window is a mere letter slot, relatively speaking. Is this something you grow accustomed to (assuming the use of a back-up camera) ?

Thanks all.
A couple of comments (just joined the F07 club....):

The back window is, IMHO, nearly useless in parking maneuvers. Side mirrors and back-up camera are the ticket....

HUD is way cool -- I was indifferent, but the ZVP for 2013 included HUD, and it's taken no time at all to become a big fan. Bummer, though, it's not compatible with my polarized sunglasses -- perhaps one of the more experienced F07 members can comment.

My estimation is that the true trunk space is less on the F07 than on the E60. To access all of the space in the F07, you have to forego passengers, so just be objective in understanding your cargo volumes.

Yesterday in Nurenburg (after successfully parking said beast with the aid of the side mirrors and back-up camera), I was approached by a gentleman purporting to be a long-teim fan of BMW. He marveled at the appearance of this mystery machine, wondering what in the world it was.... Kind of cool to be driving a relatively rare machina...

2010 535i: Deep Sea Blue | Natural Brown | ED: 6-Aug-2009 | 2013 535iX GT: Neptune Blue | Venetian Beige | ED: 31-Aug-2012
Old 09-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
If you opt for the full camera system (there are five separate cameras - one underneath each side view mirror, one in each front side fender, and the rear one), it has a 'top view' mode that shows the car as if it was looking down from above. If you can't place the vehicle where you want it with that, you shouldn't be driving!

The seats fold in a 40-20-40 arrangement, and if you release the divider, it can go vertical rather than slant backwards, which opens things up a little more. Then, there's some space underneath the floor. It can hold quite a bit. You can stuff a surprising amount of stuff in there.

Stop and go with a heavy foot, and the 550 sucks gas. Cruising on the interstate with the cruise control set, and it can be quite ecconomical...the 535 is better, and the rear-drive is better than the x-drive. On my 535x-drive, I've seen over 30mpg cruising all day at a bit over 70 - over 500 miles on two subsequent tanks on my way back from the performance center after re-delivery of my vehicle (drove it about 800 miles in Germany and averaged over 24mpg with some cruising on the autobahn at 100mph).

Last edited by jadnashuanh; 09-05-2012 at 04:15 PM.