Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
M54 oil consumption solved (better than catch-can) - CCV related

Of course, the lame CCV design is not addressed, but I am on my 2nd CCV in this car's 10 year life, which is pretty good, taking into account the very rough winter months we have, and that it is a DD snow or shine, wet or dry. The 1st CCV froze, the 2nd is still going, but since it was installed, I had a sudden oil consumption (which I never had before).
02Pilot did an in-depth research about this issue, which touches heavily on the CCV, and especially on the winterized CCV design, which seems it induces oil consumption (exactly my case).
Here is his original thread. A very interesting read to say the least. Anyways, post #74 has the fix.
It's very simple, and I believe it's a BMW retrofit using the CAPPED PORTS of the CCV and the intake manifold. This is a very elegant fix that looks OEM. In layman's words: with the current setup the M54 engine suffers from ring flutter - low vacuum in the crankcase and high vacuum in the cylinder. What this does, is (and I quote 02Pilot): "when there is a pressure differential between the forces acting on the top and middle rings, causing the top ring to lift off the bottom of its groove and disrupting its ability to seal". So he introduced more vacuum in the crankcase by connecting the capped small diameter port above the oil separator (CCV) to the similarly capped port behind the intake manifold. Bluebee made a post asking why these ports are capped, why the M52 engine has a rubber hose connected to it, but not the M54, etc. I remember that post, but I didn't search for it to attach it for reference.
02Pilot connected those 2 ports, and the oil consumption went totally away. I believe that stopping the ring flutter, you will also eliminate some engine wear (cylinder).
Port #15 in this diagram is connected to #6 (called vacuum hose) in this diagram.

This is a pretty easy and elegant DIY, once you gained access to the CCV (best done probably from under the car, if you don't want to remove the OFH). The only hardware needed is the rubber vacuum hose. I used the updated braided version I had left over from last year when I changed all the rubber hoses.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Ads by Google
Old 04-22-2013, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Great! Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a Rob Siegel fix.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
Great! Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a Rob Siegel fix.
I can sense your sarcasm here.
What is a Rob Siegel fix?
He was a hack mechanic.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Old 04-22-2013, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Very interesting. A very long but interesting thread. My cold weather CCV is almost 3.5 years old and has seen about 40K since the change. Over the last two OCI, I have noticed increasing oil consumption. It started adding about 1 qt/2,500 miles and increased to 1 qt/1,500 miles this winter. I thought it was either:
1) Not changing my dipstick tube the during first CCV replacement, or
2) The CCV getting plugged up again.
I tried this http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...004&highlight= to try and slow the oil consumption down but there's been no improvement. I had resigned myslef to changing the CCV again but this looks like a possible reason. I am due for another oil change shortly and may try this to see if it helps the situation. Thanx for posting this up.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:52 AM

Yes, I think this is a very effective and elegant "fix". 02Pilot is monitoring it since February last year, and the results are positive. Also, the in-depth analysis he made, makes me think this "mod" is almost bulletproof.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Doru--Back when or after 3 different installs of CCV systems in my car , I was at my wits end to stop the oil usage--1qt per 1000 miles--I remembered my Hot rodding days and what Vacuum introduced into the crankcase would do. The first time tackling the problem, was to run the rubber hose to the back of the intake--just as you have discribed from the CCV unit. It seemed to work for a very short time but really, it didin't help much. By using the Catch can system I have now--I have the vacuum controled through a PVC valve which gives plenty of vac to the crankcase and in my case does stop the oil usage--in short --I tried the way your looking to go--but it didn't work for me--hope you have better luck
Old 04-22-2013, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: 530
Very interesting. I've experienced the exact same thing (almost zero oil consumption, CCV changed to the insulated version then a significant and immediate increase in consumption). Do you know what the problem is with the insulated CCV that would cause this? Can the same thing happen with the non-insulated version?
Old 04-22-2013, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
Doru i am in the same set up now with these 2 Port #15 and #6 + new CCV + i did oil "catch-can-separator" on my both E39

I don't have many miles yet on my both cars but here are my observations :

Car has more vacuum in crankcase , i think 20-30% vacuum increased ( need some vacuum manometer to be precise , this is from a "plastic bag" method )
One car looks like have very slight rough idle from time to time when hot , nothing critical but i am very sensitive to my cars and i know it's there and i think its because of more vacuum in a crankcase
Oil consuming decreased ( dont see any in last 300 miles to be precise ) but i think its mostly because of new CCV and new oil catch design I did ( love it ) + need more miles to see the whole story
Gas consuming is the same
Both cars looks like have a bit more power , not sure how it can be related but i definitely feel it from the dead stop

Planing to leave oil catch for sure ( catch some yellow foam weekly ) and remove join between these 2 ports ( should I ? not sure yet ... )

BMW E38/E39 Rear Axle/Differential Bush Tool

Last edited by champaign777; 05-22-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:04 PM

*** update

now when i think about this more the best thing is to upload some INPA adaptation data
Should be done before and after changes but i missed it ... LOL

Old 04-22-2013, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes530 View Post
Can the same thing happen with the non-insulated version?
My non-insulated version has. I've replaced the CCV twice, one about 60k miles ago (with a Febi) and I thought that went bad 30k miles ago, so I paid extra and bought the BMW branded CCV. Same thing, no oil consumption for around 10,000 to 15,000 miles, then gradual increase to where I'm filling in a quart around 800-1000 miles.

Absent any other fix (I've replaced valve cover, hoses to the CCV every time, OFH gasket, oil pan gasket) I'll give the CCV hose a try.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 530I/5SC 97-528/5
I'm with Poolman, it's not a fix, it reduces some.

But, I agree how elegant the mod is.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
Timely thread. I'm in the middle of my VANOS job on my 120k 2002 530 and had planned to do the CCV at the same time (probably still has original). Got genuine BMW cold weather CCV. Have had the car for about 18 months now and usually add 1 qrt of oil after 3000 miles and then make it to the 5000 mark for the oil change. This is using M1 5W30, which is a little on the thin side for this engine. So I don't think I have an oil consumption issue with the car. Based on this info I will still connect the rubber hose just in case and can close it off later if it creates a problem.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by +moulin View Post
. Based on this info I will still connect the rubber hose just in case and can close it off later if it creates a problem.
exactly, to close it off is simple once it is installed
I plan to drive one tank of gas with this connector and w/o
Then i will decide to keep it or not based on oil / fuel consumption
The only things that bother me is a rough idle from time to time so i am 70/30 to remove this connector

Old 04-23-2013, 06:16 PM

Igor, I've been running with this mod for 6 months now, it has never exhibited any rough idle. It must be the additional chaotic bazookas bungs you added to it.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:08 PM

alex
how many times you did your oil catch fix ?
i did it once and it works for me so i installed the same on my second car
and for the rest i really dont care dude

Last edited by champaign777; 04-23-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16valex View Post
Igor, I've been running with this mod for 6 months now, it has never exhibited any rough idle. It must be the additional chaotic bazookas bungs you added to it.
This reply made my day........

Old 04-24-2013, 10:47 AM

As more you try to help as more you burned
As Alex said "bazookas bungs" for someone who try to share some different opinion
I am retired from E39 forum anywhere ...dont see even 1 interesting thread in a whole week
I missed bimmerfiver ...
LOL

Last edited by champaign777; 04-24-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
As more you try to help as more you burned
As Alex said "bazookas bungs" for someone who try to share some different opinion
I am retired from E39 forum anywhere ...dont see even 1 interesting thread in a whole week
I missed bimmerfiver ...
LOL
Igor, cheer up!. So what if I don't like your mod. As long as you like it that's all it matter.

But, I still don't like it...
Old 09-28-2013, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
I wish I had come across this post and the referenced post earlier. I last measured my oil consumption about 3-4 yrs ago at 1 qt/1500 miles. I have not been monitoring since but I do add oil very frequently (growing weary of that) so I suspect it is about the same. I have noticed what I think is lifter noise and then a separate fluttering when I drive--usually at cold start, but can occur at other times. I have been using a thinner viscosity--M1 HM 5W30 mixed w/ M1 0W40. I recently changed to QSUD 5W30 in anticipation of winter. Last January in Boise we had 3 weeks of 0 degree AMs and 15 deg highs. The M1 0W40 in use at that time definitely felt too thick, prompting my desire for a thinner 5W30 this winter. Yes, I know it does not meet the spec, but I never seem to go past 5000-6000 miles anyway.
So, last night I did the CCV port to back of manifold port connection. By the way, I had 5/32 vacuum hose here at home and it works fine. My brief test drive afterward: The engine is smoother, quieter, no fluttering or lifter noise noted. The idle is a speck higher, possibly 50-100 looking at the dash gauge. So, now I will monitor the oil consumption.
Just wondering if others who have done this have noticed less oil consumption. If so, it does seem like a relatively simple fix. I know Poolman saw an initial benefit that did not continue.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:38 AM

here is some update for my set up

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...5#post26887905