Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-06-2012, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335i Coupe
iPhone 4s not charging / working anymore with iDrive in 2009 335i Coupe

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing this forum and others for a while now, looking for a solution to my iPhone issue.

I bought a pre owned 2009 335i coupe in November 2011, the car has iDrive and I'm using BMW's y-cable to connect my iPhone 4s.

When I bought the car, the iPhone worked flawlessly with the car. It would charge and I could browse the music on my iDrive display. Now, since a couple of months ago, my iPhone doesn't charge when connected and is not recognized by the car. Yet the USB port of my car still works, as I have been using it for a thumb drive.

Curiously, when I connect my iPhone via the y-cable, I can still stream music if I select aux and start the music on my iPhone. It's just the integration that isn't working. Maybe it's even still charging and I'm just not getting the charging symbol on the phone.

Using the phone via Bluetooth for calls still works flawlessly and has never been an issue.

I would be very grateful for any help, I believe the integration stopped working with some iOS update.

Thank you!
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2012, 06:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i Convertible
This reeks of the Y cable being bad. The charging of the phone comes from the USB portion of the Y cable. And the audio (on your model year) comes from the mini-plug portion of the Y cable. So when your cable is connected, it's as if the USB part is not connected (no charging), and the mini-plug part is connected (aux audio works). Both parts need to be connected and working for the integration to work. Get a new cable.

Edit: I would bet if you plugged your white Apple usb cable into the car USB port, the phone would charge.
2001 X5, 2009 528i (retired)

Last edited by bmwrocks; 09-06-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrocks View Post
This reeks of the Y cable being bad. The charging of the phone comes from the USB portion of the Y cable. And the audio (on your model year) comes from the mini-plug portion of the Y cable. So when your cable is connected, it's as if the USB part is not connected (no charging), and the mini-plug part is connected (aux audio works). Both parts need to be connected and working for the integration to work. Get a new cable.

Edit: I would bet if you plugged your white Apple usb cable into the car USB port, the phone would charge.
Thank you, I will put the Apple cable to the test and report back.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:47 AM

Problem solved : ) You were right, the white cable does charge the phone, I just ordered a replacement on Amazon for $27.

Thanks again, I never really had suspected the cable.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E82 & 2012 E93
Is the car still under warranty? I had a 09 E82 36K miles and dealer replaced the cable free of charge.
2006 E90 ( Sold )
2001 E46 ( Sold )

My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Old 09-06-2012, 07:35 AM

It is under BMW's pre-owned warranty, maybe I should give it a shot and ask them, but I'm not expecting much since the warranty doesn't cover this part. Thanks for the tip though!
Old 09-06-2012, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markusm10 View Post
Problem solved : ) You were right, the white cable does charge the phone, I just ordered a replacement on Amazon for $27.

Thanks again, I never really had suspected the cable.
I am glad we figured it out. FYI the cable that the dealer gave me with my car is a POS. The connector that connects to the iPod side falls out easily and I sometimes have to jiggle the miniplug because the audio goes in and out. My car actually doesn't need the Y cable as I can use just the white cable and get complete integration.
2001 X5, 2009 528i (retired)
Old 09-06-2012, 03:09 PM

Just went to a BMW dealership and confirmed that it works with a new cable. Unfortunately they would charge $79 for the cable, but I already ordered it for $27 from Amazon. I also tried using the apple cable, but it only charges and doesn't provide the functionality.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!