Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 09-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Go Bruins!

Mein Auto: 2012 F30
BMW Offers A Repurchase

After contacting BMW NA about all the issues i've had with my car (all my rant-y forum posts can attest to that), BMW has informed me that they would like to repurchase my car. While I really do appreciate there consideration, I don't know if I fully want to go through with it since I LOVE driving my d, when it doesnt have problems that is. Of course, this is dependent on the offer they give me. I'm also considering asking for a replacement, but sadly they don't make the 335d's anymore. I was wondering if any fine folks in the forum have gone through a repurchasing? Or anyone got tips on the process as a whole? Help is much appreciated!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
Maybe they could find you a low mileage CPO? If you look at AutoTrader there are still a few new and very low mileage examples for sale.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by clippernation View Post
After contacting BMW NA about all the issues i've had with my car (all my rant-y forum posts can attest to that), BMW has informed me that they would like to repurchase my car. While I really do appreciate there consideration, I don't know if I fully want to go through with it since I LOVE driving my d, when it doesnt have problems that is. Of course, this is dependent on the offer they give me. I'm also considering asking for a replacement, but sadly they don't make the 335d's anymore. I was wondering if any fine folks in the forum have gone through a repurchasing? Or anyone got tips on the process as a whole? Help is much appreciated!
Take the deal, another diesel 3 series almost certainly will be produced at some point.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Go Bruins!

They have offered a very, very generous deal. They're almost forcing my hand at this point. Why isnt the 320d here any sooner?!?! haha
Old 09-08-2012, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 MINI JCW Countryman
According to autotrader, there are still new 2011s out there.

They've been out there for awhile, but...
Old 09-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Go Bruins!

Sorry to bring back a dead thread, but I just wanted to put a end to the story and say that BMW has taken back the vehicle. I'm in a new F30, but man do I miss that torque. Goodbye buddy, I'm gonna miss ya! (Also, does anyone need a rarely used JBD or a new set of four floor mats?)

Last edited by clippernation; 09-24-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:50 PM

Sent you a pm.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:53 AM
hang up and drive!

Bummer. No way they're getting my 335D back.

Goes to show you you can get a lemon in every batch. Really a shame.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 09-25-2012, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
When I had all sorts of issues(which ultimately ended up being because of a crappy dealer) with my car I sure wished they'd bought my car back. Heck I'd still love it if they did. I just had a out of state Porsche dealer offer me $25k for mine ... tempting until factor in cross shipping of vehicle costs and what I was looking at was not really entirely what I want to get into.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Go Bruins!

Did you ever try calling bmwna? I honestly went in expecting that they would just extend my warranty and/or just give me some hush hush cash, but the offer for repurchase was just too good to turn down. I've read some of your accounts on the problems of your car, but don't know if you got compensated at all for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
When I had all sorts of issues(which ultimately ended up being because of a crappy dealer) with my car I sure wished they'd bought my car back. Heck I'd still love it if they did. I just had a out of state Porsche dealer offer me $25k for mine ... tempting until factor in cross shipping of vehicle costs and what I was looking at was not really entirely what I want to get into.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clippernation View Post
Did you ever try calling bmwna? I honestly went in expecting that they would just extend my warranty and/or just give me some hush hush cash, but the offer for repurchase was just too good to turn down. I've read some of your accounts on the problems of your car, but don't know if you got compensated at all for it.
I called BMWNA after my car sat at the dealer for a month getting "fixed" and when they told me it was ready to pick up I saw the SES light on before I even got into the car. I had contacted BMWNA because I was pretty certain the SA flat out lied to me about the cars have this particular sensor problem and a recall coming up for it. My inquiry with BMWNA was to verify the guys story about this recall coming up soon because my car at that point was parked at home waiting for it. I went back and forth with BMWNA for a month, the entire time my car was sitting in my garage unused. When it was all said and done I recieved zero compensation and a matter of fact BMWNA finally told me to take it to another dealer. That dealer diagnosed the entire issue as the first dealer botching a warranty repair then BMWNA refused to pay for the repairs which left the bill in my pocket or fighting the first dealer to pay. I had to wait almost another weeks worth of time for the two dealers to battle it out over the repair bill before the first dealer paid the second dealer so I could get my car back.

What bothered me most about all of this was the hands off approach that BMWNA expressed. They would just divert any knowledge to the dealership network so according to my conversations with them I should have gone to a second dealer and if I got a different story there then my guess is go to a third dealership and if their story lines up with one of the other two then I suppose I am getting now told the truth. It was a big disappointment to me because I expected at least responses more in line with how Ford responds to things. I only compare to Ford because we had to contact them once on our current F250 and before that on an SVT Contour we had years ago and before that a Lincoln(although this one we did not contact Ford, Ford contacted us to buy it back). Ford treated the situations completely different, actually I will dare say light years ahead in the quality of response, just a shame they don't make anything I'd actually want to buy these days.

That experience is really why I have always wanted out of my car. Only happened a few months into ownership and still bugs me quite a lot to this day. One day I will find a way to part with it at a price/usage point I am comfortable with. Maybe that will be soon and maybe it will take years. It is hard to accept the idea of losing so much money on it simply because a dealer and BMWNA's responses pissed me off and not because the car itself has issues.

Last edited by Snipe656; 09-25-2012 at 10:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Go Bruins!

Geez, sucks to hear you got that kinda treatment from BMWNA. It's BS that not only did they not compensate you, but they pretty much ignored your problems that you had with their own dealers. I would be just as pissed off (or even more) as you if they tried to pull that on me.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
Quote:
I called BMWNA after my car sat at the dealer for a month getting "fixed" and when they told me it was ready to pick.....
Unfortuantely that's been my experience. BMWNA will try very hard to do nothing for you and will always redirect you back to the dealer. I've said before your experience with the car is impacted by the dealer you use, as much as the car itself.

Here in NJ we are forturnate to have a very high density of BMW delaerships. There are several that support the BMWCCA. They are the ones that get my business. They typically host a club meeting at least once a year, opening up their service departements and technicians for your close inspection and questions for several hours. As a matter of fact, attended one last night which also included a caravan test drive of several new models. The technicians will give you the real answers to your questions, not the watered down company line responses. It's quite refreshing plus gives you the confidence they will do things right. Oh yea, the new 328i certainly peforms like a BMW, just can't get over that 4-cyl toyota sound from the engine. As they are pumping in engine sounds via the audio system in to the cabin of some the M's, I'll take a nice Ferrari sound for the new 328.

I've had my 335D for about a year and 15K miles now, and except for the recall, has not been back to the shop for anything but routine maintenance. I has suspected a dramatic drop in MPG since the recall but it's looking like is really due to using the A/C. Am still experimenting...
Old 09-28-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
Unfortuantely that's been my experience. BMWNA will try very hard to do nothing for you and will always redirect you back to the dealer. I've said before your experience with the car is impacted by the dealer you use, as much as the car itself.

Here in NJ we are forturnate to have a very high density of BMW delaerships. There are several that support the BMWCCA. They are the ones that get my business. They typically host a club meeting at least once a year, opening up their service departements and technicians for your close inspection and questions for several hours. As a matter of fact, attended one last night which also included a caravan test drive of several new models. The technicians will give you the real answers to your questions, not the watered down company line responses. It's quite refreshing plus gives you the confidence they will do things right. Oh yea, the new 328i certainly peforms like a BMW, just can't get over that 4-cyl toyota sound from the engine. As they are pumping in engine sounds via the audio system in to the cabin of some the M's, I'll take a nice Ferrari sound for the new 328.

I've had my 335D for about a year and 15K miles now, and except for the recall, has not been back to the shop for anything but routine maintenance. I has suspected a dramatic drop in MPG since the recall but it's looking like is really due to using the A/C. Am still experimenting...
My car still is on average 2mpg less per tank than it was the prior years I owned it during this part of the year. That is post recall drop. I did not buy it for the mpg aspect so it has not bothered me enough to get worked up about it.

I am unsure if the BMW dealerships have things like that around here or not. We have five dealerships between three different parent companies. I do not pay attention though to the ones outside the current one I have been using.

As far as my bad experience it is what it is. I will be happy whenever I finally am rid of my ties to BMW but I quite honestly just don't see those ties being cut for a very long time. As much as I try to find a replacement vehicle with my present budget and what I can recoup out of this BMW nothing seems to come up or come up with enough time for me to react before someone else buys it. But as I always say I have no problems with the car, it is the company I have a problem with.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
Quote:
But as I always say I have no problems with the car, it is the company I have a problem with.
Maybe becasue of the location of BMWNA they treat customers a little better in NJ? In 45 minutes I can be in the lobby of NA and force them to talk to me!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
Maybe becasue of the location of BMWNA they treat customers a little better in NJ? In 45 minutes I can be in the lobby of NA and force them to talk to me!
Who knows. Could just be hit or miss based upon who you get there to "help" you and how well they understand what you are trying to communicate to them. But trust me the thought of treking all the way to them did enter my mind more than once back when I was dealing with my issues.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:43 AM

Damn it sucks when youre being railroaded,specially after you bought the car w/o hesitation, try contacting BBB
Old 09-28-2012, 02:27 PM
hang up and drive!

Quote:
My car still is on average 2mpg less per tank than it was the prior years I owned it during this part of the year. That is post recall drop. I did not buy it for the mpg aspect so it has not bothered me enough to get worked up about it.

I am unsure if the BMW dealerships have things like that around here or not. We have five dealerships between three different parent companies. I do not pay attention though to the ones outside the current one I have been using.

As far as my bad experience it is what it is. I will be happy whenever I finally am rid of my ties to BMW but I quite honestly just don't see those ties being cut for a very long time. As much as I try to find a replacement vehicle with my present budget and what I can recoup out of this BMW nothing seems to come up or come up with enough time for me to react before someone else buys it. But as I always say I have no problems with the car, it is the company I have a problem with.
Snipe, I thought you weren't driving it much anymore?

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 09-28-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
Snipe, I thought you weren't driving it much anymore?
Even though we bought it to be our daily driver it became a secondary car probably within the first 6 months of owning it and for a variety of reasons and some being related to those first dealer related issues. But keep in mind anytime we drive a car it is another 110-170 miles. We used to avoid driving it at all possible costs because I had in my head the lower miles would help out resale value. As soon as I found a deal on a replacement car I then tried to trade it in through a friend and found out it just did not hold value like I thought it would and had to pass on that car. As it stands since I bought another hobby car this year it leaves me not really being able to exceed $45k on a replacement. While that could get me into a C63 it bothers me that I'd be buying a 4 year old 30-40k mile car and if I ordered a brand new one I am looking at $61k and colored/optioned how I want it. Perhaps another c63 will show up in high 30s and not get bought before I can buy it, last two sold in less than a day of being posted so I don't have high hopes.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:38 AM

Cross ur fingers snipe

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App
Old 09-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Missed this thread as I 'forgot' about the diesel forum...

Could of comments:

1. OP, the 'offer' should hve been a calculation of [original price] times X/120000 miles= your 'use'....where 'X' is the miles at which the issue FIRST came up. In my case it was 9k miles, even thought I was at 32k when repurchased. 32k/120k = 25%... when I pressed for 9k/120k= 7% and as successful, I wound up with 93% of my purchase, plus title, tax, etc.

2. If the repurchase is so high, it can be a no brainer to 'upgrade'... I paid $2500 to go from a 2010 with 32k miles to a 2012..X5d

3. BMWNA is NOT in the business of buying cars back. The do not make it easy; they are not nice; they are not helpful...after all you are trying to become a 'non-customer'. Do not take it personally. YOU need to push and demand. Unless the situation is egregious, most times they will not respond unless pressed- and they almost NEVER respond to phone calls. The reps at Customer disservice are well trained to deflect and avoid this issue. They will always turn you back to the ddealer or offer to 'research',,,they will NEFVERY reply in an email, they will only call you to ensure there is no record..ALWAYS. It is only once you say "I am lemoning this car and will be sending a demand letter to the address in the warranty book" that you will be transferred to a 'player'. This person you then speak to is in legal. They will then dance with you, try to deflect a bit- ask 'I will escalate and talk to the dealer'...whatever. You can give them the time, or just say "I'm sending a letter, I dont want to be jerked around another two weeks". Then ask for their fax. (or PM me for it) Fax it AND send it certified return receipt.

4. Once you create a written record, they move.

5. Know that a 'lemon law' attorney is usually paid by BMW when you win (ie 'mfg pays legal fees')- BUT they also take a cut of your money. You ALWAYS do better handling it yourself, unless you are really bad.

6. When you lemon a car, post the VIN. Pay it forward. Why protect BMW? I did:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...5alj98900.html

A

Last edited by ard; 09-29-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Quote:
Who knows. Could just be hit or miss based upon who you get there to "help" you and how well they understand what you are trying to communicate to them. But trust me the thought of treking all the way to them did enter my mind more than once back when I was dealing with my issues.
Aaron, try using Momentum West for your services. I have been very happy with them.

Last edited by bayoucity; 09-29-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
Hi Guys,

Do you know any good forum, which relates to lemon law? I have a few doubts about the lemon law in CA and would like to do research

E.g. lemon law in CA states

"During the first 18 months or 18,000 miles, the "Lemon Law" presumes that a manufacturer has had a reasonable number of attempts to repair the vehicle if either (...)

The same problem has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual (...)".

Questions:

1. Does the 18 months period / 18k miles refer to the time when the problem with the car occurs for the first time? or all of the repair attempts should be done in this 18 months period? I assume it is the first case, but I am not sure

2. BMW had three attempts to fix problem with my car (creaking noise). Before complaining the fourth time, should I notify BMW NA and wait for the instructions from them?

3. Do you know whether there is any database with lemon law cases? I just wanted to find similar case (if there is) about creaking noise.

4. Ard (if you read this) did you lemon the car based on the number of attempts or the number of days the car was out of service?

Thanks!

WTB: spare tire kit
Old 09-29-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoucity View Post
Aaron, try using Momentum West for your services. I have been very happy with them.
I have not really had any issues with BMW Advantage - Midtown other than that exhaust fitment issue after the recall. I avoid Momentum dealerships in general, we had a lot of bad experiences with their VW dealership, one bad experience with their Porsche one off of 59S and a good friend of mine had a really bad(as in his wife calling him up in tears) experience at their VW one.