Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 09-15-2012, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 MINI JCW Countryman
Drove a 2013 Cayenne Diesel

Was out test-driving with a friend of mine today - he's actively in the market for some sort of an SUV-ish vehicle to replace his Lexus LX470.

He hadn't been actively considering the Cayenne - had viewed it as too small. However, he agreed to at least go to the dealership, mostly to placate me, I think.

The dealership had a reasonable selection of 2013 Cayennes. A couple of diesels, a couple of gas sixes, a V8 and a hybrid. Luckily, one of the diesels was black on black with some mega 21 inch wheels! He wants black on black. And it even had some special package/option such that there was no chrome; all the trim was blacked out.

My friend doesn't know anything about modern diesels, but he was intrigued by the car's EPA numbers - 19 city and 29 highway. He was concerned that it would be a dog to drive, though.

IT WAS A BLAST. He was surprisingly impressed. Liked how it drive, couldn't really tell it was a diesel - minimal sound made it inside. And for such big wheels and tires, the ride wasn't too harsh. Much more "feel", not surprising, compared to a big-ass Lexus.

Great driving position, very adjustable everything.

While I don't know how I feel about $7x,000 price (other than I can't afford it!), it might be great to get after a few years as a CPO!
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2012, 08:24 PM

Oh yeah - I did drive it, too. Didn't make that clear from the original post.

And I really did like it! I'd like it even more if it were more like $55,000, but...
Old 09-15-2012, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011:335d and Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe335d View Post

And I really did like it! I'd like it even more if it were more like $55,000, but...
you can get it for 55k in the form of a touareg tdi lux
Old 09-15-2012, 08:59 PM

I am a Touareg fan, and have driven the current one (and I do like it, too). But I think the Porsche interior is much nicer, especially the driver's cockpit. And because I can be so superficial, the Porsche is a Porsche!
Old 09-16-2012, 05:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
Black always makes an ugly car look better IMO.

The Cayenne mentioned, blacked out, black on black would look great, IMO and be a very comfortable utility estate "car" especially if equipped with heated steering wheel and rear seats. Great handling always a plus.

But for $70+ gimme a break! Chevy should have finished developing their innovative 4.5 liter diesel engine and put it into their Suburban. Dummies.

PL
Old 09-16-2012, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2011:335d and Touareg TDI
Quote:
I am a Touareg fan, and have driven the current one (and I do like it, too). But I think the Porsche interior is much nicer, especially the driver's cockpit. And because I can be so superficial, the Porsche is a Porsche!
Agree on the name badge and the interior.
We do like our TDI lux though.
Same tranny and engine as the Cayenne. Exterior looks are personal preference, but we liked the look of the 2011 touareg better than the redesigned cayenne. At the time we were looking they didnt have the diesel in the US, so the V6 really couldnt compare with the TDI. The S could but with a $$$ and MPG hit.

we purchased a "leftover" 2011 in November and paid 46k.
have had zero issues and have really enjoyed the performance!
Old 09-16-2012, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Porsche will tell you that there are great differences between the T-egg and Cayenne. And there are, however in two models -- the diesel and the hybrid -- the drive trains are the same. You get a more robust drive train in the diesels and the hybrid is -- a hybrid -- and they don't make two (or 3) of them for the different VA(P)G big SUV's. The rest of the stuff -- interior etc is of course different. I love the new Porsche Cayenne but the price is just a bit too steep with the options I would want. OTOH the new T-egg with the 240 hp engine (uprated actually) and the 8 speed transmission just might be the ticket! or the new Q5 TDI -- when we ever get it here -- would be interesting as well. Lots of choices now and that is a good thing (to quote "Martha")

Last edited by UncleJ; 09-16-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:

Don't they MSRP for around that? I know you can option them well into the 90s but that is Porsche for you. Those 21" wheels added a large part to the price tag, Porsche wheel options are insanely expensive. I'd be happy with one that comes to around $62k but I am not picky about options like a lot of people.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:40 AM

You do know your Porsches! The tire/wheel package was about $6,000! But they are great looking, and they really do complement the blacked out look. It was very surprising how big a difference the choice of wheels made. With the lesser wheels, the Cayenne wasn't anywhere near as interesting! (But that's just my opinion.)

And the diesel base is $55,750, according to the Porsche website.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
The aftermarket is another choice for great looking wheels a much lower price, plus you get to keep the originals for winter and such.

If only Porsche had a medium brown or chestnut standard interior or some other elegant choice with a non-reflecting dash, it would be more attractive. Not everyone can have black all the time.

PL
Old 09-17-2012, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
The Cayenne I drove I do not think had black in its interior or any interior options. I recall it being more of a tan to light brown. Most Porsches down here for whatever reason the dealers order them with an all tan interior. I don't like the all tan at all, especially the steering wheel and other key areas you normally touch.