Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-07-2012, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i xDrive
Pulls Right

I've searched the Internet and found several complaints about the F10 pulling to the right. Several people have mentioned solutions, but they are not all the same.

I just picked up my 2012 535i xDrive from the dealership after indicating mine pulls to the right. It has been doing this since I picked it up new in July. They did an alignment, but it still pulls to the right.

Anyone know if there is a fix to this issue?

Thanks,
Ron
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E92 335i
It's almost always the tires. See if the dealer will swap out the tires from another car to test if that is the case. If it is, then the tires are defective and a warranty claim should be made against what is probably Good Year in your case.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: '12 BMW 550i
I have the same issue with my 2012 550 (picked up in June). I took it back in to the dealer -- their service manager looked at it right away, went out with me on a test drive, and agreed that it was definitely pulling. He indicated that the problem appeared to be solved after the early model year production. Said it could be tire pressure or alignment -- he checked the tire pressure, that was OK, so I made an appointment to bring it back for an alignment. When I brought it back in he says he had the shop foreman look at it -- he had dealt with a lot of the early issues. Got the car back, from the 'before' and 'after' sheet they included, it was badly out of alignment. The car was much better for a week or 2 -- but I'm finding it starting to pull again. Not as severe as it was when I first got the car, but it's there. Will be calling the dealer again next week to bring it back in. Incidentally, the car has Michelin run-flats, not the goodyears.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
I had this same problem with my 2012 535i (not xdrive). Here's what my dealership did to fix the problem. It took 2 visits to correct.

Visit #1: The dealership aligned the car, they dest drove the care & determined that the car still pulled to the right. They kept the car for 2 nights and reprogrammed the computer. I got the car back & it was fixed for about 200 miles then started pulling to the right again.

Visit #2: The dealership dest drove the car & agreed there was still a problem. They kept the car 3 nights and rotated the springs.

Ever since (1,000 miles) it's been very straight with no pull.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 528
There is a SIB

Our 11 had this issue and they had to a software upgrade that had something to do with the steering system. No problems since
Old 09-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Matty K.

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Jet Black
I'd also try a small test, if the pull is a gentle one. Try driving on the opposite side of the road when it's safe to do so, and see if the pull reverses. In my years as a tire dealer, I had many cases where the road crown would cause an apparent pull on customers' commutes. By doing this test, you'll also eliminate an extra variable if you need to do battle with your SA.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by F10ster View Post
Our 11 had this issue and they had to a software upgrade that had something to do with the steering system. No problems since
My issue with pulling to the right wasnt caused by the tires. Same issue as above. Fixed through a Straight Ahead software update.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Familienwappen

Mein Auto: '11 535xi, '14 X1 28xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
It's almost always the tires. See if the dealer will swap out the tires from another car to test if that is the case. If it is, then the tires are defective and a warranty claim should be made against what is probably Good Year in your case.
Started noticing a very slight pull to the right just a couple of weeks ago. As TJ says it's the tires, but not like your thinking - at least not in my case.

2011 535ix, 20000mi. +-, Michelin Primacy HPZP 245/40-19. Started by checking on different sides of varying road crowns, then tire rotation (it was due anyway) and alignment check. Rotation always involves inflation adjustment and is done at 5000mi intervals. All of this checked out as ok but still the pull. Hmm, I thinks to myself and start tracking the TPMS (coded to show pressures and temps) and sure enough it shows a consistent trend of lower pressure in the right front. Get out the trusty analog pressure gauge and start tweaking the pressures. Low and behold as well as I can tell this car requires a differential of no more than a 1/2psi in the front tires to avoid tread deformation steer. Only saying that this is how my car reacts. It may or may not help others that have the pull problem and have not succeeded with other measures.

Wir koennen alles. Ausser Hochdeutsch
Old 10-03-2012, 05:42 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
It can be solved. Software, then the spring mount rotation and, if necessary, new upper steering column. works well, no issues for about 20k miles.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 10-03-2012, 07:52 AM

Two alignments and a software update haven't fixed my issue. The shop foreman drove with me and is convinced the pulling to the right is due to crowning. I'll try to drive on the wrong side of the road soon to validate this.

I noticed the pulling to the right is more obvious when driving on highways that have the rain grooves in them. When I drive on traditional black smooth pavement, it pulls less, therefore maybe crowning is causing the pull.

I'm also about to swap out the all season tires with my Blizzak tires for winter. I'll see if those make a difference.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:33 PM

Just changed out the factory Goodyear run flat tires with my Blizzak winter tires. Car runs straight now...no more pulling right. Also increased the size of the tires from 245/45/R18 (factory size) to 245/50/R18 to fill the wheel well more. Car rides and looks better.

Gonna see if the dealership will take the tires back for another set or just sell them on craigslist.

Some pics of the taller winter tires.

Click image for larger version

Name:	252_s.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	347086

Name:	262_s.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	347087

Name:	263_s.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	347088

Name:	274_s.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	347089

Name:	234_s.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	347090

Name:	247_s.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	347091

Hope this helps someone else out.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ral8667 View Post
Just changed out the factory Goodyear run flat tires with my Blizzak winter tires. Car runs straight now...no more pulling right. Also increased the size of the tires from 245/45/R18 (factory size) to 245/50/R18 to fill the wheel well more. Car rides and looks better.

Gonna see if the dealership will take the tires back for another set or just sell them on craigslist.

Some pics of the taller winter tires.

You don't need to Ral... Had the same case. Original tires pulled from day 1 (noticed on my way from picking up the car ARRGH!!!). Battled it and tried to talk myself out of noticing it to no avail until winter came... Put new set of Blizzaks and new rims - no more pull (I was the happiest man on earth). Come spring time I was smart... Tried a few configurations with the original tires that pulled - tried 2-3 combinations and voilą... NO MORE PULL on the stock tires. Which means it is usually one or two defective tires, not all four! Now I got two awesome sets of non-pulling wheels.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ral8667 View Post
When I drive on traditional black smooth pavement, it pulls less, therefore maybe crowning is causing the pull.
I, too, was naively telling myself the same.. Nope. Pull had nothing to do with that. New winter tires did not pull even on badly crowned roads.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:56 AM
AT LAW

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 550xi M Sport
I just received mine back from the dealer for this issue. After three visits, they finally corrected the pulling.

The first two times they insisted that BMW designed it that way in order to prevent you from hitting a car head on should you fall asleep at the wheel. So, instead, you hit a 100 year old oak tree on the side of the road head on.

This was nonsense as I have owned several BMW's, Porsches, and Range Rovers over the years and not a one of them pulled to the right.

I told them I did not want the car back until is was corrected. After two days, they called and advised the car was as straight as an arrow. And actually, they did correct the pull.

On my car they adjusted/replaced a right strut mount and switched the front wheels.

This seemed to do the trick and it finally drives like a new five series should.

PREVIOUS BMW'S:

2012 BMW 535xi
2007 BMW 535i
2000 BMW 528i
1991 BMW 318is
Old 10-24-2012, 04:30 PM

Yogi, thanks for the suggestion on putting the factory tires back on. But I really like the look of the taller tires (27.6") and plan on getting a 19" wheel with 245/45/R19 tires put on them. All of my friends like the more aggressive look of the taller tire too.

So, the factory tires are no use to me anymore, and they are going on Craigslist this weekend after 6,000 miles on them.

Glad my issue is resolved as well as yours and a few other people. I finally like driving my "new" car after 6,000 miles.