Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
i think the cooper tube probably wont hurt anything ,,, but i coudlnt handel it being in there.. it would just b a challange to get it out. without taking anything apart.. i think it can b done..
Old 02-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Are your E60 expansion tanks as convoluted as the E39 Behr ones?

Here's mine, on my M54 engine, for example:

Point is, if it's like mine, then it might not be so easy to fish it out.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 02-19-2013, 03:46 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Are your E60 expansion tanks as convoluted as the E39 Behr ones?

Here's mine, on my M54 engine, for example:

Point is, if it's like mine, then it might not be so easy to fish it out.
I looked down in mine earlier and it sure looked like it.. although it's a little wider so maybe not quite as bad
Old 02-21-2013, 11:08 AM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
sorry to hear
Old 02-19-2014, 12:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan52 View Post
No need to feign such a level of shock.

Normally I would agree with you, but it's not like he dropped a socket into the oil filler hole on a valve cover.

Just handling any of the potentially brittle coolant system components can lead to a failure. If the car were older I would say remove and replace the expansion tank, but on an '08 it is early to replace the expansion tank as preventive maintenance.

Tell me what harm the tubing will cause and if it is worth the risk of damaging something else (and having to run to the dealer to purchase the part or wait until they open), or even if it is worth the 30 to 45 minutes to drain it disassemble it, and refill it, just to say you retrieved it.
What would you say about the coolant stick that normally sits on top the float breaking off and sinking to the bottom of the tank. Any risks?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LArespiratoryTx View Post
What would you say about the coolant stick that normally sits on top the float breaking off and sinking to the bottom of the tank. Any risks?
Heat and age cause a number of the plastic components in the coolant system to fail. The stick cannot migrate to another area of the coolant system if it stays in one piece, as the speed of the flow of coolant in and out of the reservoir, small hose sizes and tight turns would prevent it.

However, unlike the copper tube in the OP's case which was the original subject of the thread, if the stick continues to deteriorate and begins to crumble it is conceivable that some small pieces could leave the reservoir.

But a much bigger concern is that in a number of cases (documented on this forum) failure of the coolant reservoir itself was shortly preceded by failure of the stick. The reservoir tank is a two-piece system joined in the center, and can split along the line the two halves are joined at. The stick and tank don't appear to be made from the same exact material, but apparently they age in a similar fashion. When the coolant reservoir failed on my 545i (76K miles, 7.5 years old at the time) the stick did not fail, but the tank split along the joining line.

Once the tank has split the coolant system's ability to build pressure (by design to increase the boiling point of coolant) is lost and the coolant will tend to boil faster, and you will also lose coolant. You do not want to overheat an all aluminum engine. Overheating stresses all gaskets and affects their integrity, whether or not they leak immediately. And high heat is very hard on transmission fluid. It is always recommended that the transmission fluid be changed after the engine has overheated ($250 for new fluid).

In conclusion, IMHO the stick is sending you a message that you would do well to spend the money and replace the tank.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfollmer View Post
Secondly, and unrelated, the car has 112k miles on it, with no record of the spark plugs being replaced. Should this be done? The onboard computer says they have another 80k miles left, the shop said do it ASAP! Again, I've been looking up some DIYs and think I could do this for less than what they quoted, if it needs to be done at all. Any thoughts on this?Thanks for your help.
Spark plugs are a piece of cake. You'll need to unclip the hoses running across the top of the engine as well as the passenger side air filter housing to get clear access to the back 2 cylinders. For tools you'll need a T20 torx bit to get the engine cover off. After that you'll obviously need 6 plugs. Bosch FR7NPP332 is the OEM equivalent and should cost $8-$10 each depending on where you buy them.

As for the removing and installing the plugs, you'll need a torque wrench and a 5/8" spark plug socket (the spark plug socket has a nice little rubber sleeve in it that will help retrieve the socket when you go to lift it out). The back 2 plugs might be a little tricky. You'll definitely need a socket extender and preferably a socket wrench that has a head that can swivel a bit (for removing the plugs). Apply steady pressure when removing and make sure to hand tighten the new plugs in first before torquing to 23 ft-lbs.

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i -Titanium Silver -Grey Dakota -Dark Poplar -Premium -Sport -Cold Weather -Xenons -Heated Rear Seats -Active Steering -Logic 7 -Sirius
2010 Lexus RX350 AWD (hers) -Smokey Granite Mica -Black -Premium -Comfort -Nav -Tow Prep -Premium Sound -Wood Steering Wheel/Shifter
Old 02-19-2014, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535i, Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
2 quarts of oil every 10,000 miles seems like something that needs to be fixed to me.
Except if you own an Audi and they'll tell you a quart every 700 miles is perfectly normal.
2006 Honda Accord EX-L
Retired fleet:
2013 Auid A5 Cabrio 2.0T (troubles, troubles)
2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8 (My snow tires)
2007 530xi
2004 Jaguar XJ8
2006 Saab 93 2.0T unfixable glitches, bye bye
1999 BMW 528i Touring
Old 02-19-2014, 07:30 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFAN275 View Post
Except if you own an Audi and they'll tell you a quart every 700 miles is perfectly normal.
Audi has to be the only luxury car manufacturer worse than BMW about crap like that