Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 07-10-2014, 02:22 PM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
DIY - E65 - Manual hood latch release on 2006+ facelifted 750/760's

Issue:
Hood latch will not pop because of cable failure or similar.

Applies to:
This applies to all E65/E66's, but is the only method I've been able to figure out so far for the facelifted versions (2006+) because of the air box preventing access from below as you can do on the pre-facelifted ones (2002-2005).

Workaround:
If you are at the driver's wheel well, pull back the wheel well plastic where it, the fender, and the front bumper meet. If you are looking directly at the side of the car, look northwest of the opening you just created (you'll likely need a flashlight). You'll see the plastic hood cable sheath a few inches back and will be able to loop a coat hanger around it... yank hard and you'll pop the driver's latch, which will subsequently pop the passenger latch as well. You'll likely break something related to the driver's side cables in doing this, so make sure to not shut the hood again until you look them over and test them by locking the latches by hand and popping them again.

Will add pictures once I take some that don't suck. =]

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...

Last edited by Keif; 07-10-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2014, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 750i
manual hood latch release

Hi Keif, im kelvin, and i have the same problem, I have a E66 (750i 2007) and the hood doesnt open anymore, i tried to do what you explained to do for the 745, but seems like is a bit different, so without any succes, im trying to understand what to do, maybe I will try what you just wrote here, but... please if you have any picture I will be more than thankfull,
ps: i tought maybe if I take out the front bumper maybe can help me in any ways, but im not able to take it out .. is so complicate here,
just to let you know, i like to read and try thing on my car, so im not afraid to spend hours doind what I need to do , but i need some dadvice .. where to go,
thank you for your time,
kelvin
Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Did you ever take a picture of this ? I have the sakes issue but I have a 760li and the wheel well is as open as the 745 and if I get a picture I might be able to pop my hood.

Thanks !