Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 01-23-2015, 05:11 PM
Dumped a 750i for a 320i
Mein Auto: '15 320i
Rear Sun Shade - Preventative Maintenance Procedure

Apparently, a lot of people have broken rear sunshades which seem to cost a pretty penny to fix. When I got my 7 last month, I noticed the rear sunshade would go up, but not down. Being the type of person who wants every single thing working properly on their vehicle, I took it upon myself to find a way to fix it, and perhaps, a way to prevent what seems to be common breakage on these things.

Upon closer inspection of the main plastic top part, which also serves as the guide rail, it seemed to me this type of plastic doesn't do too well in an area where it is exposed to a lot of UV/sun. Since this guide piece is plastic, and the arms that extend and propel this piece upward are also plastic, it seems as if the guiding/rail/rail channel mechanism dries out REAL easy, and may actually be ever so slightly warped due to such exposure and interior temperatures in the summer. So, my working theory is, it dries out, starts to develop stick points, which ultimately leads to enough resistance to break the small plastic parts that operate this thing.

After I did this, it now raises and lowers with little, if any, hesitation.

The hardest part of this is gaining access to the channel the guide rods move through. By pure luck, as I was raising and lowering it (manually with my hands, simply putting a hair of pressure on the guide rods to move it past the sticking point) to try and see exactly where the problem was, the ignition cut off, and it stopped right in the middle of the rear window, giving me as good access as I was ever going to get.

I just happened to have some shooter's grease lying around, in an injector form. I figured if it can work well for my .45 slide rail, it can work on this.

Now, here's the main idea: simply get some lubrication into the guide channel...

...and that's about it. I'll keep trying it out every few days to see how it holds up.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG00155.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	488227   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG00153.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	488228   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG00152.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	488229  
Old 09-15-2015, 07:38 PM
Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
if that plastic connector breaks
all german auto makes a very nice kit
for about $ 120 you can fix the rear sunshade

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY
Today's Posts Search