Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: pending...
sDrive M-sport, no paddle shifters or power seats

Picked up our new 28s with M-sport in Mineral Grey Metallic.

First impressions:

1. Looks: Car looks awesome, I'll post some pics shortly. The front M-sport fascia really makes a huge difference, and even though the grey is a neutral color, I think it looks really nice.

2. Driving: the mapping of the transmission is REALLY slow off the line, but then the turbo spools up and the thing FLIES. I actually said "WOW" when it took off on an on-ramp. Imagine that a chipped remap would do wonders... this engine is AWESOME. Handing with the M-sport and 18" wheels is superb, but may be too rough for some during normal driving. I'll report back with more impressions after a week or so. But overall, we are super happy with the engine and performance. At idle it sounds kind of like a diesel engine, strange. But I like it, it sounds very Euro, and when you shift into sport mode (DS) or manual and give it some gas it has a very nice tone. Definitely a 4-cylinder tone, but aggressive enough )like a WRX boxer engine) to let people know you mean business.

3. Roof racks. We bought the factory racks, I'll have some pics soon, but bottom line, they are hard to fit, are sharp (I cut myself on the aluminum) and are chunky (look big on the car). But I like them.

4. Looks and Driving: again the car looks awesome, we are very happy with our choices, and I realllllly want to take it to a track and see how it does on the fly.

5. Disappointments: so even though the M-sport package advertises "driver's side memory front seats," which made me assume that included power seats (at least for the driver), unless you opt for the premium package, that means nothing. Our car has M-sport seats, but that are manually adjusted. ALSO, even though on our build sheet online it states "M-sport steering wheel with paddle shifters" ours doesn't have then. Not a huge deal since we weren't totally in love with them, but still... if you were expecting them because you ordered the M-sport package, no dice.

OVERALL: this car is awesome, BLOWS THE DOORS off of the Audi A4 avant and A3 which we had basically wanted until we heard about the X1 (and pretty much our budget), with much better styling, interior quality and drivability. We are overall VERY VERY happy with the car.

PICS SOON

Last edited by stary; 09-08-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Ekon Hitman

Mein Auto: 2009 328xi
waiting for pics already
Old 09-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Custom User

Mein Auto: X1
Paddle shifters are included for free in the M package but only with a specific option code, 7XA I think; kind of ridiculous when they are advertised as part of the M package.
Enjoy the ride and +1 on posting pics!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:14 AM

pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120908_144921.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	341052   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120909_104209.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	341054   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120909_104305.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	341055  

Last edited by stary; 09-09-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Custom User

Great color for the M package!
Old 09-09-2012, 02:54 PM
pay it forward

Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
So you were supposed to get paddle shifters and didn't and you are ok with that? That seems strange. The vehicle looks sharp BTW.
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Old 09-09-2012, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: Probably an X1
May I ask how much was the roof rack? Mind doing a few close up of the roof racks?

Edit
Do you have the moon roof? Does those racks obstruct the roof in any way?

Last edited by MNX1024; 09-09-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the kidd View Post
So you were supposed to get paddle shifters and didn't and you are ok with that? That seems strange. The vehicle looks sharp BTW.

yeah, M-sport is supposed to have paddle shifters but instead there are two M-steering wheels available and the ordering process defaults to without, so the dealer needs to special order it.

it's annoying, but wasn't a deal breaker. we are overall very happy with the car...
Old 09-09-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNX1024 View Post
May I ask how much was the roof rack? Mind doing a few close up of the roof racks?

Edit
Do you have the moon roof? Does those racks obstruct the roof in any way?
list on the racks was $280, we got 20% discount from our dealer. i'll try and get you some closeups later. the racks have to specifically go in a certain position, one is directly over the opening of the moonroof. the moonroof is HUGE though, so the racks basically are going to obstruct somewhat.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: Probably an X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stary View Post
list on the racks was $280, we got 20% discount from our dealer. i'll try and get you some closeups later. the racks have to specifically go in a certain position, one is directly over the opening of the moonroof. the moonroof is HUGE though, so the racks basically are going to obstruct somewhat.
Can the moon roof open properly with the rack mounted? Is the rack easy to take off? Did the dealer charge you for mounting the racks? Mind if I ask what do you plan on putting on top of the racks? Is it a bike by any chance? That's one of the main reason I'm planning to get racks on mine. if you are getting a bike mount, mind telling me which one, and some pics would be nice.

If you don't mind the trouble, do you think you can do a closeup of the mounted position of the racks from the top or from inside the car so the obstructed portion is discernible. Sorry for the barrage of questions, and thanks in advance .

Last edited by MNX1024; 09-10-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 335i (soon....)
The Standard and Optional Equipment guide (revision dated August 2) shows this as standard for the Sport line and M sport line:
"8-way adjustable front sport seats with adjustable back bolsters, 2-way manual thigh
2-way manual headrests and driver-seat and mirror memory support".
It should clearly haves stated that "seat memory" only comes if you order "459" which apparently you can order separately for $995 or, as you stated, the Premium package.
The paddle shifter issue also appears very clear from the BMW documentation. How can you have a M sport without paddle shifters?????
I would be very upset if I were you....
Old 09-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Custom User

Unfortunately that documentation probably won't change until someone makes a stink about it. That person will get some freebies, for sure. Until then, people will continue to get such surprises when taking delivery...
Old 09-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

When I ordered my didn't bother asking if I wanted the steering wheel with the paddle shifters and just ordered the regular one. When I found out I was so angry I called BMW USA and yelled at them for having misleading info on their web site and I yelled at the CA for not inquiring about no cost options. I told them they need to train their employees better and they need to ask if the customer wants any NC options before the order goes through. Well they apologized and ordered me a new car. They screwed up that order too so I had to reorder a third time so the wait starts all over again. The only downside is that they will have to sell two other X1 with the same exterior and interior color combo, so mine won't be that original :-(
Old 09-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 E36M/4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stary View Post
yeah, M-sport is supposed to have paddle shifters but instead there are two M-steering wheels available and the ordering process defaults to without, so the dealer needs to special order it.

it's annoying, but wasn't a deal breaker. we are overall very happy with the car...
I'd at least see what your CA has to say about the mistake on his part. He should have clarified with you all the NC options, unless you told him specifically what you wanted and even then you would have the Standard and Optional equipment guide to back up your assumptions.

Regarding the power seat. I did notice that and asked my CA about it before I ordered. I would have selected the Sport option if power seats were in fact included. He elevated the inquiry and confirmed it to be printed in error and it was supposed to be fixed, just like the "standard" iDrive which is not Standard, but part of the Tech Pkg.