Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 09-09-2012, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E34 M50
E34 94 - Early high temp and slow coolant flow, plz help

Hi everybody,
I'm not good at Eng, sr.
My car has problem, early gotten high temp (over middle gauge, near RED level about 20 mins running or 10 kms rough). I've taken a new water pump, Fan clutch, themostat. When he's running, I take my hand in the hose, lower and upper, and i feel hotter in the upper coolant hose. But when i remove the connector between hose and radiator, i see the water flow is seem still with idle gas. I don't know how to fix. My job is stuck! Please help me...
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2012, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 530i
Sounds like the radiator is to blame friend.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:28 PM

Ya, I've tested the Rad , by filling fluid into the upper hose , and the lower hose is out of rad connector. I can see the fluid flow out strongly. So I think radiator maybe nomal. Today I replace coolant fluid and test again. I'll post the reasult later, friend!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 525i
You need to bleed the cooling system , so that no air is trapped in it ...

Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App
Old 09-10-2012, 01:45 AM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
turn on your car and let the car get warm. the thermostat will open allowing the coolant to travel through the entire cooling system. then turn on the heater inside the car to full hot and full fan blowing. open bleeder screw which is a large + shaped screw very near the radiator cap, and let the air come out. keep any eye on the amount of coolant in the expansion tank and fill as required until NO more bubbles come out the little bleeder screw, and then do this up while the car is still on.

hope this helps you

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 09-10-2012, 05:27 AM

Thanks for your note. I've bleed the coolant system. But the pump seem like stand still, when I open bleed screw i can't see any water flow cross beside my eyes. But if I put alittle gas pedal, the flow running very very slow, i feel.
Today I replaced coolant fluid and test again, the upper hose is very hot, but the lower is cold. It's seem like nothing passed through radiator. So sad to day. Friends plz help me some other ideas, plz....
Old 09-11-2012, 03:08 AM

I've detected one thing, the hole at bleed screw is broken. So I thing air will come into the hose to trapped the circuit... Now I'm trying to heal it. Hope it's reason.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 92 525iT Wagon M50
Squeeze the upper radiator hose when closing the bleed screw to empty out additional air.
It may also help you know how bad the bleed screw cracks might be.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:38 AM

Exactly, I have a bad screw hole. It's been broken, so the screw couldn't tighten. Today I've made a new hole, and another screw biger. After I try to bleed air, everything's ok. Thanks everybody! I love my car sound!