Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-09-2012, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
X3 - Water in passenger side

Just went through the dealership having my X3 for four days, after discovering water (again) in the passenger side of the cabin. In June, when I discovered water in the passenger side, they said it was a crimp in the drain line, and replaced it. This time, they had the car on the "water simulator" almost all day and could not replicate the problem. Service rep said he thought it was the seal for the sunroof, as there was a slight gap. Seal replaced, sunroof aligned. Told him the proof would be over the weekend, as we were expecting severe storms. And just as I was afraid of, after a deluge of about half an inch of rain in 30 minutes, I went out to check the car, found the water in the rubber floormats, and the underlying carpet soaked. (I would have sat in the car during the deluge to determine the origin of the water, but as there was a tornado warning in effect for my area, decided that wouldn't be prudent.) Back to the dealership... need to determine the cause... drain holes clean, supposedly drain line straight with no crimps... can't keep paying $500+ for them to "dry" my car. Suggestions?
Ads by Google
Old 09-09-2012, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: X-3 2.5I
My similar problem was a broken rear window windshield washer fluid line under the rear passenger side floor mat. Ask that it be checked first.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by btwillis View Post
My similar problem was a broken rear window windshield washer fluid line under the rear passenger side floor mat. Ask that it be checked first.
+1. He beat me to the comment. The question would be did you use your rear washer fluid when it was storming?
Old 09-09-2012, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
What about a bad vapor barrier on the door? If they haven't checked that, they should.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
It is the glue that holds the vapor barrier to the door. I had this same problem on my X3. I fixed it myself, the adhesive wasn't holding the vapor barrier to the door. I removed the vapor barrier, heated the bead of glue and reapplied the barrier.
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Old 09-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
There are three things that constitute water entry with the X3:
  1. blocked drain from pano roof
  2. torn vapor barrier in door
  3. windshield wiper hose to rear wiper.

please use search when running into problems in the future. This has been listed hundreds of times. The vapor barrier costs all of about $17 USD. The labor is what kills you.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 09-10-2012, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
These are all incredibly helpful suggestions - thank you so much. I mentioned the vapor barrier this morning when I spoke with the service rep... didn't think to mention the rear wiper issue... hopefully they can resolve this.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i M-Sport
Could also be the rubber door seals. That ended up being the culprit in our 04 X3 for water getting into the rear drivers side footwell. We had the drains cleaned, vapor barriers changed, ww repair, all to no avail and finally figured it was the door seals that were not sealing properly after running it through the car wash and watching/showing the dealer exactly where the water entered. Good luck, it's very frustrating, and the first car I've ever had with water issues. I wouldn't think this would be the case for your 08 X3, but just another thought.

2011 335i M-Sport, BMW Performance Powerkit Version 1, BMW Performance Exhaust, 35% F1 Pinnacle Tint

Last edited by chrisk03; 09-10-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:07 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Mine had the vapor barrier issue. Repaired, now dry.

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:09 AM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
There are three things that constitute water entry with the X3:
  1. blocked drain from pano roof
  2. torn vapor barrier in door
  3. windshield wiper hose to rear wiper.
Don't forget the possibility of blocked drains in the cabin filter receptacle! Open the hood, and check back by the firewall, just below the windshield wipers, where the cabin filter is located. There are drains there that can get blocked with debris (leaves, dirt, etc.), just like with the panorama roof, causing water to pool in the filter receptacle, then finally drain into the cabin.

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...
Old 09-14-2012, 11:59 PM

Mein Auto: X3
for experienced user: what are the potential problems of flooding on an X3? Considering to buy a used one from my dealer.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 - 2004
Hi All

Thanks for the tips on the water issues on X3's. Has any body had all 4 foot wells soaking wet like i have come home to today?. Were are the vapors barriers and are the easy to fit ? I have cleaned the cabin filter area and yes it was blocked with leaves and ****e. My X3 hasn't got a sun roof or panoramic roof so to have all 4 foot wells soaking is this going to cost me a fortune to get sorted ??

Cheers