Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:50 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Exclamation Brake Recall!

Anyone see the news about the brake recall?

I'm taking my 6er into the shop tomorrow and I'll ask about it. I'll report my findings here.
Ads by Google
Old 10-01-2010, 12:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745i
Yeah I think I had this problem last month and cost me 1400
Old 10-01-2010, 04:32 AM

Mein Auto: '05 645 Convertible
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_bmw_recall
Old 10-01-2010, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
We'll be sent letters in a few weeks asking us to schedule a visit.

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 10-01-2010, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Just saw the BID RED Recall flashing when I logged on this morning. I will call my SA on this but it seems we will get notified to schedule a visit.

Previous Cars:
2008 650 Convertible 6 speed manual
2004 645 Convertible 6 speed manual
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 10-01-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaaman View Post
Yeah I think I had this problem last month and cost me 1400
You should definitely get your money back!

Previous Cars:
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 10-01-2010, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci
As an out of warranty car - I have been using an independent BMW shop. I wont l get a letter as I am the second owner of the car. Is this something the dealership will do for free for me just because my car matches one of the models with issues? Sorry - not familiar with recall process.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerfield87 View Post
As an out of warranty car - I have been using an independent BMW shop. I wont l get a letter as I am the second owner of the car. Is this something the dealership will do for free for me just because my car matches one of the models with issues? Sorry - not familiar with recall process.

Thanks
You should get a letter as the VIN is registered to you now. If not, the dealer will have to fix it because its a recall on the car. On a recall, it does not matter who the owner is. This maybe the only time you get something from the dealer for free

Previous Cars:
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 10-01-2010, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci
Thanks Pablo - I just rang them and associated the VIN to my profile which they had from a previous BMW I owned. They said they will mail me a letter and should be here in 10 days. He then indicated that you need to make an appointment and bring the letter into the dealership and all would be good.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: null
GREAT! Was taking her in for service for oil anyways.

on another note my brakes squeek like crazy under normal braking conditions and iDrive shows i still have about 16k miles for rear and about 11k for front. My service contract ends in Nov. Any chance I can get them to service my brakes early before my extended service contract expires?
Old 10-01-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolbi-Wan View Post
GREAT! Was taking her in for service for oil anyways.

on another note my brakes squeek like crazy under normal braking conditions and iDrive shows i still have about 16k miles for rear and about 11k for front. My service contract ends in Nov. Any chance I can get them to service my brakes early before my extended service contract expires?
The dealer wont tell you but they do have a bulletin on this break issue when it comes to the 6. They tend to squeak when they wear to a certain point and once you complain and they check,(The wear has to be at a certain point) they will replace them. Let them know about it once you bring it in for the oil service. Maybe you can get it replaced.

Previous Cars:
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 10-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Obsessive or Enthusiast?

Mein Auto: 650i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo645 View Post
The dealer wont tell you but they do have a bulletin on this break issue when it comes to the 6. They tend to squeak when they wear to a certain point and once you complain and they check,(The wear has to be at a certain point) they will replace them. Let them know about it once you bring it in for the oil service. Maybe you can get it replaced.
Hey Pablo. My brakes are squeaking bad but the car still brakes pretty well. According to the dealer, I still have 12000 miles left on the pads and rotor. They said I can get everything changed for $2500 if I wanted or else just deal with the sound. Where can I find that bulletin you mentioned and also can you give me some advice on what to say and how to go about it in general when I visit the dealer. Thanks buddy!

Last edited by Di0nysu5; 10-01-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiNist3R View Post
Hey Pablo. My brakes are squeaking bad but the car still brakes pretty well. According to the dealer, I still have 12000 miles left on the pads and rotor. They said I can get everything changed for $2500 if I wanted or else just deal with the sound. Where can I find that bulletin you mentioned and also can you give me some advice on what to say and how to go about it in general when I visit the dealer. Thanks buddy!
Sorry SiNist3R. Not a bulletin that went to the general public but one that went to the dealers. My SA is cool so he shares that info with me. Mine was replaced with only 30K now on the car. I had more than 16K to go according to iDrive before brake service. Granted, my car is still under warranty but if you complain hard enough, they might do something for you. If not complain to BMW of NA. your brakes have plenty of life left so why they want to charge you 2500 to replace is a total rip off.

Previous Cars:
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 10-01-2010, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo645 View Post
You should definitely get your money back!
Get your money back on what? There is no specific details on the brake recall and what's being inspected and replaced so how do you know what should be refunded. You'll have to wait and see what specifics are and go from there.

Last edited by Bimmer750LI; 10-01-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiNist3R View Post
my brakes are doing the same thing! and i got the same run around, my rear brakes have 12000 miles left on them and they are squeaking really bad, i was told by the dealership that maintenance won't change them until they are under 3mm in wear
Old 10-01-2010, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci
From my understanding it's not the pad, it's the pump for the power brake that may leak, I m located in hk, in the news, that said we can still break but not as hard in high speed if there is a leak.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Greg

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci convertible
I have the brake squeal issue as well. IDrive says I have 20K on the front and 12K on the back. The independent shop that did my last oil change said I have about 30% left on the pads. I've had the car for about 1 yr and the miles before change on the front pads has actually gone up since getting the car. Guess I am easier on the brakes than previous owner.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: 645 Ci
Brake Recall

Since the dealer has mine for another issue, I called Friday 10/01/2010, and ask if it was possible to have this taken care of while it was there. I was told that since the recall was just announced on 09/30/2010 that they did not have enough information at the dealership
yet, and of course the proper parts have not been sent yet, that they could not do it yet. The service rep that I am dealing with told me that when I receive the official notification from BMWNA in a few weeks to call and he would set me up with an appointment, he was not sure at this point but he may have to order parts as each appointment is set up. Of course each dealer could be slightly different in how they may handle this.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: Dinan///M3 - Countryman S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Geese 1 View Post
Since the dealer has mine for another issue, I called Friday 10/01/2010, and ask if it was possible to have this taken care of while it was there. I was told that since the recall was just announced on 09/30/2010 that they did not have enough information at the dealership
I'm callimg BS on this one. I spoke with a good buddy of mine who just happens to be a service manager for BMW. He told me they have known about the issue for some time now. It just went public on 9/30. If parts are needed, they should already be available. That's why they wait before the recall goes public. They ensure dealers have parts on hand to start the work....Phil

2011.5 Dinan ///M3:
SSII DCT
Comp, Conv, Premium 2 Pkg
Heated Seats
Enhnd Prem Sound
BMW Edition Grills / Gills
BMW M Perf. Steering Wheel
BMW Carbon Fiber Perf. Spoiler
BMW Pedals
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Mid Racing Exhaust (x-pipe)
Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake
Dinan Racing Middle Exhaust Software
Dinan DCT Tune
Dinan Pulley Kit
Dinan CH-R Wheels
Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces
IND M5 Scheme Mirror Caps
Arkym Front Lip
Carbon Front Reflectors
Lux H8 V3
Brembo 365mm BBK
Old 10-02-2010, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 645 Ci
BS on what I was told or BS on ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 Ryder View Post
I'm callimg BS on this one. I spoke with a good buddy of mine who just happens to be a service manager for BMW. He told me they have known about the issue for some time now. It just went public on 9/30. If parts are needed, they should already be available. That's why they wait before the recall goes public. They ensure dealers have parts on hand to start the work....Phil
Just so I am clear are you saying that what I was told is BS, or are you saying that everything I posted is me BSing. I could not really tell from your posting, and I'm curious
as to which it is.

I do know that both of the parts that they have needed so far for my problem have had to be ordered, and this is a pretty good size dealership.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Brake issue

Hi, my understanding is the problem relates to the vacuum brake booster leaking via their seals or even corroding ( not sure about this element ?) the brake boost resides under one of the aircon air filters subject to left or right hand drive car. If you loose the vacuum brake boost then you are left with mechanical braking, ie press your foot on the brake pedal as hard as you can to stop your car. The issue being if it fails when you need it then you are in for a big surprise......
It has nothing to do with squeaking brakes or anything else ie useage and wear profile of pads.
Interesting that we share parts with the top of all cars Rolls Royce ..........
Old 10-02-2010, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: Dinan///M3 - Countryman S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Geese 1 View Post
Just so I am clear are you saying that what I was told is BS, or are you saying that everything I posted is me BSing. I could not really tell from your posting, and I'm curious
as to which it is.

I do know that both of the parts that they have needed so far for my problem have had to be ordered, and this is a pretty good size dealership.
What I'm saying is the service advisor you spoke with is full of S**t. They should be able to take care of you now. I'm going in this week for a routine inspection service. My guy told me that he would handle the recall issue that day........Phil

Email exchange with my guy:

Subject: RE: Service Appointment

ME...... Sounds good.....do you guys have all of the information you need to do the brake inspection yet? I don't want to get caught up in the recall madness.
Reply...... Yes, it has been out for quite some time.

2011.5 Dinan ///M3:
SSII DCT
Comp, Conv, Premium 2 Pkg
Heated Seats
Enhnd Prem Sound
BMW Edition Grills / Gills
BMW M Perf. Steering Wheel
BMW Carbon Fiber Perf. Spoiler
BMW Pedals
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Mid Racing Exhaust (x-pipe)
Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake
Dinan Racing Middle Exhaust Software
Dinan DCT Tune
Dinan Pulley Kit
Dinan CH-R Wheels
Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces
IND M5 Scheme Mirror Caps
Arkym Front Lip
Carbon Front Reflectors
Lux H8 V3
Brembo 365mm BBK

Last edited by 650 Ryder; 10-02-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645/333 View Post
Hi, my understanding is the problem relates to the vacuum brake booster leaking via their seals or even corroding ( not sure about this element ?) the brake boost resides under one of the aircon air filters subject to left or right hand drive car. If you loose the vacuum brake boost then you are left with mechanical braking, ie press your foot on the brake pedal as hard as you can to stop your car. The issue being if it fails when you need it then you are in for a big surprise......
It has nothing to do with squeaking brakes or anything else ie useage and wear profile of pads.
Interesting that we share parts with the top of all cars Rolls Royce ..........
The lack of brake boost will have an effective on other systems, such as handling and anit-skid, traction control etc as these systems are dependant on the power of the brake boost to make them work
Old 10-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Nerdy G

Send a message via AIM to Bk650
Mein Auto: 650i
i got an email from my stealership saying to schedule an appointment..

650i on 22's Asanti, mtec v3 angel eyes, Custom exhaust...

2000 GS300 heavily modded gone but never forgotten
1998 LS400 Daily driver
2005 Range Rover HSE (family car) Lost in Divorce
Old 10-02-2010, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645CI
Got my appointment for Monday regarding this topic...! The stealer said they will take a look and take care of any problem regarding the recall.

I was NOT going FAST Officer!!! "...Hater" ...no nothing, I didn't say anything.

- 04' 645Ci SMG blk on blk
- 2010 Navigation DVD
- Sport pkg
- Cold weather pkg
- 19" OEM
- Ipod/MP3 kit
- SRX Laser Jammer/Radar Detector
- SAT Radio
- Hyper White Angeleyes

Last edited by SDJB; 10-02-2010 at 07:34 PM.