Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 09-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330ci
Fuel pump

How loud should the pump be while running? I can hear the distinct whine from the pump since I've owned the car and I'm just curious since I will be dropping the tank to weld in the subframe re-enforcement plates and will replace while I'm there. The car also has a slight gradual stumble when its cold, and I feel the rpms drop momentarily when I slow to a stop.

btw vanos has already been rebuilt.
Sent from my DROID2 using Bimmer App

2001 330CI
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: Many
Some people say that when your pump gets louder that it is failing. I have replaced pumps before that were said to be loud just to have the new pump sound the same as the old. I would run a fuel pressure check and as long as it comes out ok I don't think that I would replace it unless you really want to.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_schroeder View Post
How loud should the pump be while running? I can hear the distinct whine from the pump since I've owned the car and I'm just curious since I will be dropping the tank to weld in the subframe re-enforcement plates and will replace while I'm there. The car also has a slight gradual stumble when its cold, and I feel the rpms drop momentarily when I slow to a stop.

btw vanos has already been rebuilt.
Sent from my DROID2 using Bimmer App
I can't hear my fuel pump unless I specifically listen for it without the car running.
How many miles on your car? It seems that E46 fuel pumps fail anywhere between 80-150k... might be a good idea to swap it out.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:38 PM

The car is an 01 with 127k on her. You can definatly hear the pump when your standing outside of the car.

What is the acceptable range for the fuel pressure of an e46?

2001 330CI
Old 09-11-2012, 12:44 PM

O forgot to mention I have no idea if the fuel filter was ever changed either so I'm not sure if that would make a difference or not but I guess it wouldn't hurt.

2001 330CI
Old 09-11-2012, 03:11 PM
The one and only

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
At that mileage replace the pump and filter

www.bmaautoparts.com use discount code spece30