Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 09-11-2012, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: x5
2006 X5 CV Joint Question

Hello,

I got an 2006 X5 with about 88 K miles. I recently noticed when I make a left turn I hear
a clicking sound that seems to be coming from driver side area. When I took my X5 to dealership to get oil change they checked it out and said I needed a 'CV joint driver side'.

Wondering on average how much the 'CV joint part+labor' is about?
Anybody experience similar thing before???

Thx
Ads by Google
Old 09-11-2012, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: '04 E53 4.8is
From the dealer you are looking at ~$1000 to replace the axle. If just swapping the bellows, then its about $350 $500.

Are you capable of DIY'ing yourself? If you change the boot, it will cost you just under $10 and labor. If you replace the axle shaft, its about $120 for a new reman'd axle.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 AM

I called the dealer and they said the cv joint driver side with parts/labor is around $600. They didnt mention anything about changing the axle shaft.
Hopefully this should resolve the problem. No I dont know how to do it myself would probably take into dearlership.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:57 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_007 View Post
I called the dealer and they said the cv joint driver side with parts/labor is around $600. They didnt mention anything about changing the axle shaft.
Hopefully this should resolve the problem. No I dont know how to do it myself would probably take into dearlership.
They don't replace the cv joint; they replace the entire axle shaft assembly, joint and all, with a reman unit.

$600 is a very good price assuming they're using GKN axles (which are OE). Make sure the quote you have is not just "rebooting" the existing joint. If it's clicking, it's toast.

Ask the dealer precisely what they are replacing. Just the boot, or the entire axle shaft (which includes the joint). No one sells just the joint, it's an integral part of the driveaxle assembly and gets rebuilt as a unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: '04 E53 4.8is
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_007 View Post
Errr, I don't know. That $600 price quote sounds like just the boots, not the axle. You could also buy the Axle yourself online and send it to an Indy and have them do the work. Prevailing labor rate for BMW is anywhere from $100/hr to $189(Highest I've seen in North Jersey). Indy's will charge anywhere from $79/hr to $120/hr. Might save you a few hundred pennies.

But if the dealer is doing the Axle; the whole axle for $600, then it is a good price. Not great, but good, but I would check with an Indy.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:19 PM
We want the Lion!

One more thing ... forget about A1Cardone reman axles or anything from Autozone,etc. They're reman'd in China and do not last.
Insist on either EMPI (good) or GKN (best).

Quote:
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:19 AM

Thanks for feedback everyone.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Lunchbox21984

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 3.0i
glad i looked here, i got to do both on the wifes truck. hmmm, was looking on rockauto for some, but now that i see the china deal on the cardone, might reconsider a different brand.

sorry to highjack, but this is helpful for me as im doing this myself and have done cv-axle work before.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:23 AM
We want the Lion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchbox21984 View Post
glad i looked here, i got to do both on the wifes truck. hmmm, was looking on rockauto for some, but now that i see the china deal on the cardone, might reconsider a different brand.

sorry to highjack, but this is helpful for me as im doing this myself and have done cv-axle work before.
Drop an email to Max at www.oembimmerparts.com (no affiliation, just a happy customer).

He has OEM axles by GKN for about $270ea. The EMPI are less. The E46/330Xi guys have loads of horror stories of cheap reman axles. They're good for about 15k miles and then start clicking/grinding, etc.

Having done this job on an X5 a few times, I won't use anything but these two brands. Replace the shaft seals on the LH side of the transaxle and the RH side of the extension "pedistal". It's cheap insurance.

Quote:
Quote: