Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Estorilblau ///Member

Mein Auto: F30 328i M Sport EBII
xDrive28i Fuel Economy?

What kind of real world fuel economy are you guys getting from the xDrive28i?
I drive freeway to and from work at 65-75mph. Wondering what I'll see for MPG. It sounds like 8th gear was designed for these freeway cruising speeds.
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2012, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: Audi A4
I got 26 combined my first two weeks, but decided to try the EcoPro setting to and from work (36 miles total) for the following two weeks and see if there is a noted difference. Driving performance is greatly reduced with the EcoPro, so hope I make it.

Last edited by JIM2013X1; 09-12-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: 98 M3/4 10 Mazda5
According to the trip computer, after 1200 miles the car is averaging 28 MPG in mixed driving (10% city 90% highway). The trip computer seems to be accurate when compared to calculations I made after filling up. I used ECO PRO 95% of the time, which also made the break in period a little easier to handle. During a 300 mile road trip this past weekend I averaged just under 32 MPG highway (65-75 miles per hour average).

Last edited by empfader; 09-11-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: bmw x1 28i
i average 9.1l/100km, semi city/highway
Old 09-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Estorilblau ///Member

Mein Auto: F30 328i M Sport EBII
So, 25.8 MPG
Old 09-25-2012, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: Camero GT
I consistently get 33.1 mpg on the highway. With Eco Pro mode on I get more than that at 70 mph. Pushing to 75 mph drops it down to 30-31 mpg, which is a big difference. In my experience, Eco Pro mode's power reduction on the freeways is hardly noticeable since you have so much torque available to you at lower rpm 1250. Whenever I need to pass someone with my Eco Pro mode engaged, I'll zoom right by them. Everyone was challenging me during this past weekend's 150 miles trip. But no one succeeded.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM2013X1 View Post
I got 26 combined my first two weeks, but decided to try the EcoPro setting to and from work (36 miles total) for the following two weeks and see if there is a noted difference. Driving performance is greatly reduced with the EcoPro, so hope I make it.
UPDATE: Two weeks of driving with EcoPro (80% of the time) and to me, not worth it at all. I saved a total of 5 miles and doing the $/gallon math, the .80 I saved I probably could have found under the seat! It really takes away the spirited driving experience and isn't that why we buy BMWs??? Maybe on a long highway trip, but not for everyday driving.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM2013X1 View Post
UPDATE: Two weeks of driving with EcoPro (80% of the time) and to me, not worth it at all. I saved a total of 5 miles and doing the $/gallon math, the .80 I saved I probably could have found under the seat! It really takes away the spirited driving experience and isn't that why we buy BMWs??? Maybe on a long highway trip, but not for everyday driving.
Just goes to show you how some of this is eco technology is little more than marketing BS. Does it help? Maybe a little. But at what cost to the driving experience? I had a BMW CA tell me that with my driving mix of mostly highway miles, I should easily achieve mid- to upper- 30's in EcoPro mode. Ha! So far it's averaging less than 27. I have another 400 mile road trip tomorrow so I'll check it again, but I'm not expecting it to deviate much from my current average.

My Forester, rated at 20/26 and with the aerodynamics of a brick, averaged 25 to 26 on the same driving cycle at similar or even higher speeds. -- That's with 25% more engine displacement and half the gear ratios (yep - a 4-speed auto)! And I would flog that thing to merge into 75 mph traffic while the X1 requires no such treatment. It simply doesn't compute.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX

Last edited by HotRodW; 09-25-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: X1
Maybe you all will see better gas mileage as we head into fall. There will be less A/C usage and less ethanol mixes.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 97 E36M/4
I'm getting about 26 MPG on average with a mix of 80% freeway (some light traffic) / 20% city driving and driving an average of 75 MPH on the freeway when possible.

EPA estimates for the 2.8 sDrive seem like a stretch, but I'm getting exactly what I predicted based on the MPG rating of the F30. I knew that the X1 couldn't get as good mileage based on the Cd of 0.33 vs 0.29 and a larger frontal area. I heard that the F30 rating was decreased by the EPA to its current rate, so if the X1 ended up better than rated, it would have been a bonus.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: X1
I agree with many of the points above. I'm getting about 25/26 with the mixture of city/highway and found the same issue with EcoPro. I think the MPG on the sticker is absolutely a stretch. I think the point about air conditioning is fair - we'll see what happens with the fall arriving.

I still feel good about the numbers though. I hit 27 on a trip to New Hampshire and that same trip with my Infiniti EX35 would have only achieved 23 (maybe). And the city number for that car was ugly (17). I just did two trips back and forth with a lot of stop and go on a small road and got 24. So I'm averagine 5 - 7 MPG more in the X1 - so this is a win for me!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: pending...
first tank was 24 and that was mixed freeway and some "spirited" driving
Old 09-26-2012, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 97 E36M/4
Regarding ECO-Pro Mode. Most of the fuel savings is earned by encouraging the driver to maintain a higher gear. This works by decreasing response to accelerator position. When acceleration is called for through judicious use of the acelerator, it will down shift more than one ratio at a time, so the change is quite abrupt, unlike the gradual down shifts that can be elicited in D Mode. That meter that shows how much fuel you saved is bogus because it has to be relative to how you would have driven in D/S/Man mode, but there lies the falicy. The reality is, throttle positions were as such due to being in EcoPro and would not have been as such if driven in D. The bottom line is that EcoPro can help you drive slow, but you can acheive nearly the same economy in D if you have good self control.

Other than gearing and potentially the limited use of the A/C, how else can EcoPro conserve fuel in the X1?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
27.4 mpg

I logged another 400 miles behind the wheel today. Average speed was a bit lower than my last road trip, and consequently fuel mileage was marginally better at 27.4 mpg calculated (27.3 per computer), with minimal stop and go driving. EcoPro mode has shown to be of little advantage so far. Not only is throttle response retarded, but the cabin comfort is reduced as the computer maximizes the HVAC system's efficiency. I did allow the auto stop to function normally since it rarely activated. I guess it's nice to have the option to use these systems, but I'm glad BMW is letting it up to us to decide whether or not to use them. I'm afraid the day will come when we no longer have the choice.

On a side note, at 1,000 miles I'm disappointed to report my cruise control is now malfunctioning. The "set" function isn't working, so I have to use the "accelerate" or "decelerate" features to set the speed, and the "resume" features isn't working at all. I also can't figure out how to stop the radio from defaulting to AM, when I don't listen to AM and even tuned to a single AM station. Even if I'm listening to Sirius before switching to CD, it automatically goes back to AM when I select radio. Any ideas?

And while I'm ranting, how is it possible that a $45,000 vehicle doesn't have a sunglasses holder???????

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 09-27-2012, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
I logged another 400 miles behind the wheel today. Average speed was a bit lower than my last road trip, and consequently fuel mileage was marginally better at 27.4 mpg calculated (27.3 per computer), with minimal stop and go driving. EcoPro mode has shown to be of little advantage so far. Not only is throttle response retarded, but the cabin comfort is reduced as the computer maximizes the HVAC system's efficiency. I did allow the auto stop to function normally since it rarely activated. I guess it's nice to have the option to use these systems, but I'm glad BMW is letting it up to us to decide whether or not to use them. I'm afraid the day will come when we no longer have the choice.

On a side note, at 1,000 miles I'm disappointed to report my cruise control is now malfunctioning. The "set" function isn't working, so I have to use the "accelerate" or "decelerate" features to set the speed, and the "resume" features isn't working at all. I also can't figure out how to stop the radio from defaulting to AM, when I don't listen to AM and even tuned to a single AM station. Even if I'm listening to Sirius before switching to CD, it automatically goes back to AM when I select radio. Any ideas?

And while I'm ranting, how is it possible that a $45,000 vehicle doesn't have a sunglasses holder???????

My thoughts EXACTLY on the sunglass holder. What I'm not sure of is there may be one on X1's without the panoramic sunroof, being that there would be more overhead space to extend a console?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: pending...
[QUOTE=And while I'm ranting, how is it possible that a $45,000 vehicle doesn't have a sunglasses holder???????[/QUOTE]

if you opt for the $35,000 version you get a sunglass holder, in place of the iDrive
Old 10-08-2012, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
So we have put about 500 miles on our new x1 s28i and I have to say I'm more than disappointing in the gas mileage. We are only getting about 27mpg on mostly highway driving and really babying the car as to not go over 4000rpm. We have also been trying to use the ecopro mode more often than not. I'm hoping its due to a break in period? Our 2000 323i was easily getting 32mpg and on really straight boring highways it got up to 36mpg.

Oh and on the sunglass holder, we don't have the idrive but I assume those with it is the same... isn't there a compartment to the left of the gear shift for you? Its really deep into the front console and EASILY fits my sunglasses longways.

Last edited by lovemygsp; 10-08-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:57 PM

Mein Auto: VW Jetta
I haven't gotten my X1 yet but the highway government results clearly appear too high in relation to the 328i and the highway fuel economy being so close to the sDrive version is also a bit strange.

I suspect this car like other cars are tested in base stripped down configurations when these tests are done.

I wonder how much weight the power seats, navigation, moonroof and larger tire size etc., add to the car and detract from fuel economy.

I'm getting an sDrive version and I will be happy if I can eventually get 32 mpg at a fairly steady 70 mph on the highway. Anything above that would be great and somewhat unexpected.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
Subscribing.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:27 PM

Mein Auto: X1 sDrive28i
We have about a 1,000 miles on our sDrive28i and are averaging 28 mpg. On a recent 200 mile trip (roughly 80% highway, 20% city) we averaged 32 mpg. I am more than pleased with the fuel consumption so far. It's actually not much different than my 09 Cooper S.

I've noticed that several owners are disappointed with their mpg not matching the EPA estimates. My guess is that the difference is due to a combination of factors such as driving style, AWD vs. RWD, EPS vs hydraulic steering, wheel & tire size, local geography (hills vs. flats), but in my experience the fuel consumption is very impressive for a car of this size and power.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:23 AM

Blue, can you tell us what options your x1 has? Also where you are located. I would like to compare with others that have reported. You are one of the first on the forums that has claimed to have gotten over 30mpg. I am glad to hear someone has, though.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:10 AM

Yes, I am actually a bit surprised to see the mpg numbers reported by others. My model is nearly a complete stripper sDrive28i. The only options are moonroof, servotronic, and paddle shifters. The car came with Goodyears LS2 tires.

One of the reasons I chose the RWD model was the fact that I suspected the fuel economy would be better (less frictional losses, lower weight, EPS, narrower tires, lighter wheels / less rotational inertia).

I am located in Silicon Valley, so it's mostly flats around where I drive, though I do live on a small hill. I consider myself a fairly smooth non-agressive driver, though I do floor it occasionally. Most of the highway driving is usually around 75 mph. For comparison, my long-term mpg in an 09 Cooper S (manual) in the same conditions is 30.3 mpg.

Last edited by BlueCZ; 10-23-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCZ View Post
Yes, I am actually a bit surprised to see the mpg numbers reported by others. My model is nearly a complete stripper sDrive28i. The only options are moonroof, servotronic, and paddle shifters. The car came with Goodyears LS2 tires.

One of the reasons I chose the RWD model was the fact that I suspected the fuel economy would be better (less frictional losses, lower weight, EPS, narrower tires, lighter wheels / less rotational inertia).

I am located in Silicon Valley, so it's mostly flats around where I drive, though I do live on a small hill. I consider myself a fairly smooth non-agressive driver, though I do floor it occasionally. Most of the highway driving is usually around 75 mph. For comparison, my long-term mpg in an 09 Cooper S (manual) in the same conditions is 30.3 mpg.
I wonder if the 17 inch wheels are doing something to assist in the MPG you are getting. I don't think any of the people complaining so far had 17 inch wheels. I am just looking to try to explain it somehow... there has to be a reason!
Old 10-23-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceyted View Post
I wonder if the 17 inch wheels are doing something to assist in the MPG you are getting. I don't think any of the people complaining so far had 17 inch wheels. I am just looking to try to explain it somehow... there has to be a reason!
I do. I have a totally stripped s28i. Only thing I added was cold weather package and I'm only getting about 24 combined/27highway. I don't understand why I'm getting so low!?!?
Old 10-23-2012, 02:36 PM

Interesting. How about air conditioning? Has it been hot where you live? I've had my AC turned on, but it has been fairly cool lately (in the 60s).