Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5
adaptive drive

I have a 2011 X5 without AD and am ordering a 2012 and was thinking of getting AD. I plan on keeping the 2012 for around 85k miles. My question is about the durability of the system. During the 85k miles would I be looking at significant repair costs?
Ads by Google
Old 09-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
^^Really?

What possible answer could you be expecting to receive- AND rely upon??????????

In general- as a group- it WILL, undoubtedly cost more than a car without AD- that much is obvious. The question you are asking is impossible to answer: "What will the single car I purchase cost to repair between 50 and 85k?"
Old 09-11-2012, 12:52 PM

How about is the AD system any more prone to need repairs in that period than the regular suspension? I know it will cost more to repair.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
I know this statement maybe of little use, but the reliability of a suspension component is based off a variety of factors. Since it is unlikely to predict what kind of roads and factors that govern such reliability the answer you are looking for is impossible. However I do understand your cause for concern and question, and would say that if your looking to keep such a car beyond the warranty, be prepared to handle glitches and wear and tear especially when checking off those options, like AD.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Figure out which extended warranty cover's the AD components, price that, and that should be your max out of pocket.

Jay
Old 09-11-2012, 02:46 PM

Thanks for the response. I don't mind maint costs. I was just hoping to not see a bunch of responses from people complaining of issues.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: M5 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
^^Really?

What possible answer could you be expecting to receive- AND rely upon??????????

In general- as a group- it WILL, undoubtedly cost more than a car without AD- that much is obvious. The question you are asking is impossible to answer: "What will the single car I purchase cost to repair between 50 and 85k?"
Really?? There are plenty of 2007 and 2008 sport pack E70s (that had AD standard as part of sport pack) that could be within this mileage range where an owner could at least provide anecdotal experiences where we could start to thread together where there might be common failure points in the system. such input would have no lesser value than your statement that it WILL undoubtedly cost more. Not sure how you make that claim. Precise you are not always.

Gone:
2005 X5 4.8is
2004 X5 4.4i Sport
2004 X3 3.0i 6MT
2002 M5

Last edited by Rickm5X3; 09-11-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickm5X3 View Post
Really?? There are plenty of 2007 and 2008 sport pack E70s (that had AD standard as part of sport pack) that could be within this mileage range where an owner could at least provide anecdotal experiences where we could start to thread together where there might be common failure points in the system. such input would have no lesser value than your statement that it WILL undoubtedly cost more. Not sure how you make that claim. Precise you are not always.
"Anecdotal"? Sure, which is what most of the nonsense is on this forum- someone asks a question, and goes with 3 responses as "the answer".

OP wasnt asking for anecdotal- read his post, he was asking for actual data: "During the 85k miles would I be looking at significant repair costs?"

There is no way to answer that without bias- I could say 'well it is a highly complex electro-hydraulic system and a failure to a part could entail expensive diagnostics as independent shops may not have the expertise...and even a small failure of a sensor could involve an expensive repair at a dealer"

or I could say "By 50k miles, you should have pretty much tested the system well, and given there is not a large number of failures reported here the odds are pretty low you will be hit with a large repair.

WHICH RESPONSE SHOULD HE RELY UPON?

Oh, in terms of my precision: I said "in general, as a group" ...so based on that, AD **WILL** cost more... you CANNOT say any ONE car will be more or less, just that all cars with AD will cost more to maintain the suspension on average than all cars without. Admittedly this is based on the fact that the standard suspension has not on sensor, actuator, wire nor controller- and that THAT ALONE establishes that AD will always be more expensive. You may disagree- love to hear the rationale.

A
Old 09-11-2012, 09:35 PM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
IMO you buy AD because you like the way the car handles and are willing to put up with any additional maintenance/repair cost you may run into . . . the same logic I used when I bought a BMW and not a Toyota or Honda.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:36 AM

Mein Auto: M5 & X3
[QUOTE=ard;7068501Oh, in terms of my precision: I said "in general, as a group" ...so based on that, AD **WILL** cost more... you CANNOT say any ONE car will be more or less, just that all cars with AD will cost more to maintain the suspension on average than all cars without. Admittedly this is based on the fact that the standard suspension has not on sensor, actuator, wire nor controller- and that THAT ALONE establishes that AD will always be more expensive. You may disagree- love to hear the rationale.

A[/QUOTE]

The question was whether he'd see significant repair costs to 85k miles. I can't get to a conclusion that it WILL UNDOUBTEDLY cost more because I don't think we've seen anything that suggests that there are common failure points. The concept that complex systems will take more $$ to maintain all things being equal might make sense, but that wasn't the question.

OP was fishing for feedback presumably based on experiences (a perfect use for an internet forum) and there is nothing wrong with sharing experiences. For example, the whole story of premature rod bearing wear on the E39 M5 started with anecdotal forum user feedback and eventually became a "known issue" or at least a point for consideration. We don't have perfect information so this is where we are.

Gone:
2005 X5 4.8is
2004 X5 4.4i Sport
2004 X3 3.0i 6MT
2002 M5
Old 09-12-2012, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPsX5d View Post
IMO you buy AD because you like the way the car handles and are willing to put up with any additional maintenance/repair cost you may run into . . . the same logic I used when I bought a BMW and not a Toyota or Honda.
I didn't buy it for that same reason. I wasn't sure it was worth the potential maintenance issues and lack of resale value....especially for almost 4 grand. I also didnt drive a similarly outfitted vehicle with and without though AD, and that should undoubtedly be part of your evaluation.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Alot View Post
I didn't buy it for that same reason. I wasn't sure it was worth the potential maintenance issues and lack of resale value....especially for almost 4 grand. I also didnt drive a similarly outfitted vehicle with and without though AD, and that should undoubtedly be part of your evaluation.
Point well taken.

Given AD is customer ordered option, it is very unlikely you will find a AD at a dealership to do a side-by-side comparison.

For me, I love the appearance of the 20 inch rim (Option 214), I need the 3rd row (no room for a spare tire, therefore stuck with RFTs) to accommodate house guests every once in a while. Option 214 with RFTs makes the ride a tad bit rough . . . something AD could solve/minimize.

Prior to purchase, three sales folks at three different dealerships advocated against it saying AD could end up being a maintenance headache. What I didn't know at the time was - sales folks have zero incentive to push AD (cars on the dealer lots are without AD) and many are simply ignorant. Unfortunately for me I found Bimmerfest after I picked up my X5d - while searching for some info on the web. I will do better next time!

Last edited by RPsX5d; 09-12-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: X5
OP question was legit, not sure why certain posters get so jumpy. As an example, every buyer of an Audi with 2.7 turbo engine knew that by 60 KMiles they should put aside $1.5-$2K for oil leak repairs, as this was a frequent problem with this particular engine. Or if you lust for prev.model Merc CL, by 100KMiles you'll need quite a few grand to replace ABC components.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Bimmer Lover

Mein Auto: e70, e36, e34
After reading everything here, ARD's question still pretty much summarizes what is realistically possible in terms of an answer to the OP's question:

OP's Question: 'During the 85k miles would I be looking at significant repair costs?"

ARD's Prediction: "What possible answer could you (we) be expecting to receive- AND rely upon??????????"

I don't see much here in all the attempted answers that gives a better answer than ARD's.

PS - Absolutely LOVE my Adaptive Drive X5!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachp13 View Post
I have a 2011 X5 without AD and am ordering a 2012 and was thinking of getting AD. I plan on keeping the 2012 for around 85k miles. My question is about the durability of the system. During the 85k miles would I be looking at significant repair costs?
It will depend on your luck - seriously! The first 50K are covered . . so, . . . how lucky do you feel for the next 35K after that?