Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.

Sponsored by The Tirerack. Moderated by Gary@Tirerack.com

Old 09-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
SUV vs. Passenger Snow Tires on X3

I've been doing a lot of reading and have a case of TMI confusion now.

I had a Toyota Rav4 and put Blizzak DM-V1s on it and they served me really well in my harsh conditions and extensive driving I do up and down the mountains.

I now have a 2013 X3 35i M Sport and am only finding passenger tires specked for it (like the Blizzak WS60 and WS70--what's the difference, anyway?).

The X3 is almost 1000 pounds heavier than the Rav4 so I would think it would warrant the SUV tires even more but Tire Rack (and nobody else) isn't specking the DM-V1s or anything but passenger tires for it, even in 18" size.

Basically I want it all—a tire that is good on the dry curvy mountain roads and speeds of 90 (on the Interstate), but also I need super sticky snow tires that are the best in snow, ice and slush (which the Blizzaks seem to always be reviewed as such, including by Tire Rack themselves on a test with the X-Ice's near me).

So can anyone explain to me with certainty what the real difference is between an SUV/Light Truck tire and a Passenger tire and how it would affect me with the X3?

Thannks
Ads by Google
Old 09-12-2012, 05:25 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW M3
It is the tire size and load rating on the sidewall that determine if a tire has enough load capacity to be an appropriate fit for a given vehicle. The X3 uses sportier, lower profile tire sizes that aren't shared with truck and full sized SUV applications.

No tire out there has it all. You'll need to decide which features you'll willing to compromise on. For winter tires, most choose to give up some dry road grip and handling on curves for better snow and ice traction.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Thanks, Gary.

How does one go about determining what alternate size tires/wheels are compatible with their vehicle and what load ratings are acceptable?

I am now looking into Nokians but you guys don't offer those so I'm trying to determine if I can get wheels from you and tires from my local shop. But unless I put 18" packages in your configurator I can't get any wheel results that I like. The 19" option wheels in my OEM size are not even close to doing it for me.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbajack View Post
Thanks, Gary.

How does one go about determining what alternate size tires/wheels are compatible with their vehicle and what load ratings are acceptable?

I am now looking into Nokians but you guys don't offer those so I'm trying to determine if I can get wheels from you and tires from my local shop. But unless I put 18" packages in your configurator I can't get any wheel results that I like. The 19" option wheels in my OEM size are not even close to doing it for me.
We have an entire team of experienced techs that figure that stuff out. This can involve scans of the vehicle for brake clearance, specs on load capacities and other techniques. Unfortunately the list of our fitments on our site is our complete list. I'm sorry that you weren't able to find any that you like. If you're buying from a different company, be sure that they will guarantee fitment on what they are selling you.

Last edited by Gary@Tirerack; 09-13-2012 at 08:48 AM.