BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Charcoal filter removal?

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ricosan 
#1 ·
I've researched several forums and can find little information about the charcoal air filters.

I've read that they have beneificial effects on power and an added benifit of an improved exhaust note. I like this. It's cheap and yields positive results.

My questions: ( for those of you who have done this)

What tools would I need?

How much time does it take?

Where is the filter located?

Was modification worth the pita?

Thanks in advance,

ricosan

#3 ·
I was under the impression the charcoal filters were for the cabin air (i.e. your HVAC) and kept you from having any exhaust fumes or other odors from disturbing your drive. Are there high performance filters for the intake that are charcoal? Do you have the 35i or the 50i?

It seems that as a result of the X6 being a somewhat rarer and exclusive vehicle there are much fewer people around to generate content and respond to the forum here. Question and answers are more like a day by day and week by week thing in this area of the board than the hour by hour response time of the other areas. Maybe we all are just out driving our cars more... :D It makes sense though, other BMW models may have 100's or 1000's of people reading the board each day and I would suspect this area is more in the dozens.

If you are anxious/in a hurry the X5 area is more active and pretty much all of the internals of our cars are the same as the X5.

#4 ·
bdgtexas,

Thanks for the reply. Someone posted on another X6 forum about the removal of this carbon filter (I am assuming that it is the cabin air filter) and they said that it produced a lower rumble for the exhaust as well as a bump in performance - all for no additional cost. I'm beginning to think it is just a hoax as no one will respond to specific questions about the removal process or the benifits on the removal.

Anyone there that has even heard of this mod?

ricosan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.